Costa Maya

SOUTHOF30A

Any word yet on HAL plans for alternate port of call in light of the destruction of Costa Maya?

From Cruise Critic Hurricane Zone:

Costa Maya Replaced on Caribbean Trips

(4 p.m.) -- With Costa Maya out of commission for the next six to eight months and approximately 50 percent of the pier gone, cruise lines are beginning to announce replacement calls for upcoming Western Caribbean cruises.

Any word yet on HAL plans for alternate port of call in light of the destruction of Costa Maya?

Holland America spokesman Erik Elvejord tells Cruise Critic that the line is "operating on the assumption that Costa Maya will not be available until fall 2008." As a result, passengers onboard Veendam sailings this fall, winter and spring will go to Cozumel instead. HAL is also currently working on replacing that port with another -- to be named later -- on five Westerdam voyages, which had planned to call there, and one Amsterdam sailing (a 14-night Christmas cruise).

We are on the Veendam 10/21 out of Tampa and HAL is going to Cozumel instead of Costa Maya.

In 2006 we had to do the opposite because of the hurricane that hit Cozumel. We can't believe that the pier was damaged that much, it was cement and looked very sturdy.

t

Holland America spokesman Erik Elvejord tells Cruise Critic that the line is "operating on the assumption that Costa Maya will not be available until fall 2008." As a result, passengers onboard Veendam sailings this fall, winter and spring will go to Cozumel instead. HAL is also currently working on replacing that port with another -- to be named later -- on five Westerdam voyages, which had planned to call there, and one Amsterdam sailing (a 14-night Christmas cruise).

I guess I don't understand where Westerdam is going. Or maybe you didn't say. I just couldn't understand by what you wrote.

Can you fill me in? We sail on 11/25/07

Thanks, Nicki

I guess I don't understand where Westerdam is going. Or maybe you didn't say. I just couldn't understand by what you wrote. Can you fill me in? We sail on 11/25/07

Thanks, Nicki

Nicki, I'm in the same boat, as it were :D (and we've already "met" on our roll call). The bottom line is that HAL hasn't yet figured out where it's going to send Westerdam for the cruises that were supposed to go to Costa Maya. I'm trying to stay on top of the issue, and will post something in our roll call when I find out - but check this board too, and the Cruise Critic page on Caribbean port changes due to the hurricane.

Just keep your fingers crossed that (1) none of our other ports get damaged, and (2) hurricane season ends before we board!

Meanwhile, I'm also checking the Costa Maya forum in Ports of Call, because I think people were going to post about where you could send donations to help the people there to recover. I don't think there were any deaths - at least I haven't heard of any - but the whole nearby village was wiped out, and the people who would have received our tourism income are now facing not only the loss of their homes but also their livelihood. Very sad indeed.

I guess I don't understand where Westerdam is going. Or maybe you didn't say. I just couldn't understand by what you wrote.

Can you fill me in? We sail on 11/25/07

Thanks, Nicki

The port of Costa Maya was destroyed by the last hurricane. The Westerdam was scheduled to stop at Costa Maya on Day 5 of your cruise (Nov 30th). So because there is no port to stop at, HAL is looking on how to change the itinerary. This effects all the Veendam and Westerdam cruise's this winter that were stopping at Costa Maya. They feel that Costa Maya will not be back in operation until the fall of 2008

As I understand it some places in the town of Tulum saw some damage.

It seems that further south is where most of the damage occurred. A girl that works for me has a sister in Chetumal and they lost everything. The biggest problem here is water damage since most of the established areas have houses built from concrete and cement. The very sad thing about the areas around Costa Maya is that most of the small villages are not developed and many people live is palapas with thatched roofs.

Here in Cancun many fundraising events have been planned to help those in the south of our state.

The only other thing I'd like to add is that the Mexican Governement really counts on the tourist dollars so I would expect the recovery in Costa Maya to be as fast as possible.

As I understand it some places in the town of Tulum saw some damage.

It seems that further south is where most of the damage occurred. A girl that works for me has a sister in Chetumal and they lost everything. The biggest problem here is water damage since most of the established areas have houses built from concrete and cement. The very sad thing about the areas around Costa Maya is that most of the small villages are not developed and many people live is palapas with thatched roofs.

Here in Cancun many fundraising events have been planned to help those in the south of our state.

The only other thing I'd like to add is that the Mexican Governement really counts on the tourist dollars so I would expect the recovery in Costa Maya to be as fast as possible.

Betonic-

So glad to see you posting, we sure thought of you during the storm. It's tragic to see the pictures. The pier was concrete and the damage was substantial.

Take care and hug DS for me!!

When I sailed on the Westerdam in 2005, in the Western Caribbean, we were trying to outrun a tropical storm ... we called on Costa Maya and Grand Cayman, skipped Jamaica, and they substituted Freeport in the Bahamas.

We were told they tried to get us into Key West, but there was some big event going on and that port couldn't accommodate us.

The year before, I sailed on the Oosterdam, also Western Caribbean, and our stop in Grand Cayman was canceled due to hurricane damage. They substituted Key West. At the last minute Grand Cayman opened to cruise ships again, so we were able to do there.

Such a shame. Costa Maya was one of our favorite stops. No excursions, just find a nice looking beach place with great chips and salsa, beer and nice breezes......not to mention the hammocks! :D

I sure hope it's ready to go again soon. Let's face it, our money kept a lot of people going there. I hope they will weather this storm (no tourists) okay.

Hi Sher!

Thanks for your thoughts. Thankfully I was with Roberto in Miami and we were never in the line of Dean. I did just buy a new house on the beach so it was definetly at risk but thankfully everything here is fine. We're leving next month for Rome and the Westerdam. It won't be the same without you, LOL.....

Yesterday I was in Costco and I saw that they are collecting donations of products for the people effected by the hurricane.

Copper 10-8,

This picture is just mind-boggling to me! We were just docked at that pier 6 months ago!!! I guess this just shows what a powerful force a hurricane can really be. My heart goes out to the people of these countries. The money generated from the cruise ship passengers is what supports their families on a daily basis. I really enjoyed shopping in the shops on this pier and am glad I spent what I did there. It was a very pretty area and hope they can rebuild it back to it's original state. My prayers are with them!

Happy Sailing,

Cindy

Copper 10-8,

This picture is just mind-boggling to me! We were just docked at that pier 6 months ago!!! I guess this just shows what a powerful force a hurricane can really be. My heart goes out to the people of these countries. The money generated from the cruise ship passengers is what supports their families on a daily basis. I really enjoyed shopping in the shops on this pier and am glad I spent what I did there. It was a very pretty area and hope they can rebuild it back to it's original state. My prayers are with them!

Happy Sailing,

Cindy

Cindy, yeah, pretty devasting! Only good part (if there is such a thing) is no one got killed! We were there not too long ago on Zaandam (see enclosed pics).

You're welcome DFD1 and Jim!

Happy Sailing to you also!:)

IMG_2446.JPG.38388e3e45c11aeaddd0fe6ce236474d.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG.3d834105130df2e368c28f32d41bf995.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG.670254f972bc17a530e2fea62860d7a6.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG.b06bb4ee3f3de42b31b2af52e25fce31.JPG

I was so sad to hear about the major damage in Costa Maya. There's a small group of coworkers that are cruising for the first time and I told them to look forward to Costa Maya.

I enjoyed the small village of Mahajual for the perfect beach day. I know that I hit jackpot with Pez Quardo when quite a few of the Westdam crew were at the same place enjoying themselves.

Like someone else stated, I visited Cozumel before and after they were hit and I was shocked by the damage.

I can't see tendering into Costa Maya so we have to wait for the pier to be rebuilt. I hope that it's done by mid 2008.

Hope this works as I found another photo of what is left of the pier at Costa Maya on another thread and wanted to pass it on. We were there in January on the Westerdan and have also been there twice on Veendam sailing from our home port of Tampa. Seeing what is left of the pier makes me sick knowing that we like so many have been there and walked on it. Wonder how stable the sections are that survived or they are maybe going to have to tear that down and completely re build. The pieces of what didn't survive are now sitting on the bottom.

50 Cruises on HAL at the age of 42

535 days at sea on 12 different DAM SHIPS

500 day Gold Medallion holder

Sept. 04 Rotterdam Trans Atlantic Hurrican Karl Survivor

10/07 Canada/New England & Atlantic Coast - Veendam

12/07 Holiday Cruise - Zuiderdam

If Holland America doesn't go there, WE DON'T GO!!!!

CostaMayaPier.jpg.b0398a152d3f7225dd95f79c52eda118.jpg

Archived