Princess will not give on-board credits when prices drop....

monakayk

Right now I am a bit perturbed with Princess because the rates have dropped on this cruise and I called my TA (online travel biz) that we booked through to see if Princess would give us on-board credits since there was a $47.00 per person drop in price on the inside cabins. Well, our TA called Princess and Princess told him that since we had already made our final payment (less than 3 weeks ago) that they would not give us any on-board credits or refund. I really didn't expect or wanted any type of refund, but HECK I sure did expect some sort of on-board credits for that much of a difference in prices!

Has anyone else encounter this problem with price dropping and not getting on-board credits for the difference?!! What did you do about it? What can I do about it?

I am about ready to call Princess and tell them that the next time I book a cruise...I sure will hesitate a long time before I book with them unless it is at the last minute, due to this policy.

RCCL and Carnival will give on-board credits or boot you up to a better cabin. Not just a different category...but if you book an inside, then you will get an ocean-view. Might be obstructed view, but that is what I got on my last cruise with Carnival when my inside cabin price dropped.

Right now I am a bit perturbed with Princess because the rates have dropped on this cruise and I called my TA (online travel biz) that we booked through to see if Princess would give us on-board credits since there was a $47.00 per person drop in price on the inside cabins. Well, our TA called Princess and Princess told him that since we had already made our final payment (less than 3 weeks ago) that they would not give us any on-board credits or refund. I really didn't expect or wanted any type of refund, but HECK I sure did expect some sort of on-board credits for that much of a difference in prices!

Has anyone else encounter this problem with price dropping and not getting on-board credits for the difference?!! What did you do about it? What can I do about it?

I am about ready to call Princess and tell them that the next time I book a cruise...I sure will hesitate a long time before I book with them unless it is at the last minute, due to this policy.

RCCL and Carnival will give on-board credits or boot you up to a better cabin. Not just a different category...but if you book an inside, then you will get an ocean-view. Might be obstructed view, but that is what I got on my last cruise with Carnival when my inside cabin price dropped.

First of all Mona, you pay your money and take your chances. Were you happy with the price when you booked? Princess is under no obligation to lower your price or give you compensating credit any more than the airlines are required to refund any difference in price if your fare drops after you buy. Princess sometimes designates that the new lower price is for new bookings only. It is easier to get the credit/pricce drop if you have not made the final payment yet. Another point-- Sometimes your TA has to be very persistent in seeking the reduction/credit. Last year Princess met us halfway when a signficant reduction in cabin price was made, and this was after final payment which proves that no "policy" is written in stone. Our TA pestered them three times until they capitualted. We then got an unexpected onboard credit to boot.

Princess and the other lines are looking to fill their cablins and adjust prices accordingly. The key is to have a good TA that is willing to go to bat for you and you should never agree to pay more for a cabin than you are willing to accept and consider reasonable, even if the price drops.

I would not kick Princess to the curb over this, even if the other lines have worked with you.

Have a great cruise and don't let this ruin a good time.

I have a feeling we will be seeing more and more cruiselines starting this. When I first started in travel..a long time ago...cruiselines never gave a refund. It seems post 9/11 they began to. I imagine they are spending alot of time refunding etc, and I'm sure they feel the time needs to be spent making money.

Will Princess give us OBC on cruise? We are booked on the Grand Princess for Janury 12, 2008. The cruise price has dropped on our BB balcony cabin by about $200 since we booked it in May. I have a TA and e-mailed her about getting the price of the cruise dropped but she did not respond. I didn't know that they might give us an onboard credit instead. I have e-mailed the TA again. Hope I hear from her soon!

dewats-PRIOR to final payment (which you are) you get the price reduction off your final amount due, provided the new price is a public price and not a special promotion limited to certain individuals. After final payment, it's hit or miss, as Mona found out. Most price reductions after final payment fall into the 'new bookings only' special promotion category. The few times anyone is receiving a reduction on these prices it is in the form of OBC, not a refund.

Will Princess give us OBC on cruise? We are booked on the Grand Princess for Janury 12, 2008. The cruise price has dropped on our BB balcony cabin by about $200 since we booked it in May. I have a TA and e-mailed her about getting the price of the cruise dropped but she did not respond. I didn't know that they might give us an onboard credit instead. I have e-mailed the TA again. Hope I hear from her soon!

If they won't give you the lower price (not just an OBC), why not just have the TA just cancel and rebook? If you are before the final payment, and there are no costs to cancel, you have more options.

She has made her final payment, though.

I just spoke with my TA; Princess just began offering a flash promo on this sailing. So yeah, obstructed oceanview cabins are being offered at the same price insides were at last week. He mentioned that in his experience it'd be unlikely that Princess would offer a discount or credit on an existing booking after final payment, because flash promos are non-refundable, require immediate full payment and aren't combinable with OBCs or any other promotion. He did say that he'd probably be able to secure an upgrade for a client with a little coaxing, but only where the client was a Captain's Circle member. Good luck.

Princess will re-fare before final payment. If you TA doesn't respond to an email, try calling her.

You need to be more persistent with your TA. This is not something any TA likes to do, but to keep good clients, it's imperative. Make sure you get that lowered price IF it applies to you and isn't a regional promo or senior price. If you don't get an answer back from your TA, it's time to cancel your booking with her and find a new TA.

NO TA should ever not return phone calls and e-mails within a timely manner unless there's some kind of emergency.

I don't get why you would expect to get a lst minute price.

They drop the price to fill the vacant cabins.

If you want to take the risk and leave it until thre last minute you too can get cheap deals. BUT there's a risk that the cruise you want will be full.

I find it very generous that they allow people to get the cheaper price after they book at all.

If they have to give everyone the lowest price for all cabins that will be the end of last minute specials. And I don't want that to happen because I'm planning on booking last minute for my Europe cruise.

I don't get why you would expect to get a lst minute price.

They drop the price to fill the vacant cabins.

If you want to take the risk and leave it until thre last minute you too can get cheap deals. BUT there's a risk that the cruise you want will be full.

I find it very generous that they allow people to get the cheaper price after they book at all.

If they have to give everyone the lowest price for all cabins that will be the end of last minute specials. And I don't want that to happen because I'm planning on booking last minute for my Europe cruise.

While I do sympathize with Mona I also agree that the cruise lines (or any business for that matter) should not be expected to offer a credit or refund of the difference in instances where the price has dropped. If they do, that's good customer relations but they're not under any obligation.

This is a slow-selling sailing and Princess is trying to unload their inventory. It happens all the time, and this is why I too am a fan of booking at the last-minute. I know this isn't always practical for other folks, though.

.....if you wait until the last minute......you may not get on board.....;)

It happens that prices drop on cruises that are not selling well. Key is watch prices for drops and request lower price, but once final payment is made there really isn't much you can do.

Our Jan cruise has only gone up, and is pretty much sold out, so I am happy I got the cruise for the price I paid.

Can't expect the cruiseline top give you lower price, just as I wouldn't expect them to make me pay more if the price goes up!

Just be happy to cruise again!!!

Perhaps it is only fair for passengers who want to take advantage of last minute, post-final payment, price drops, to get this benefit only if they also agree to pay any increase in the fare due to price increases for popular cruises/cabins.:)

Good point. A friend of mine is booked on what now seems to be a very popular sailing on Celebrity, and the price for her cabin has increased by over $1300 since she paid her deposit. I don't think X is going to ask her to pay the difference.

You might try asking for a category upgrade. That worked for us once. However, be wary that if you have a confirmed stateroom and you like it's location, if they upgrade your category, it will be the luck of the draw. For $47, I don't think they will move you from a Balcony to a Mini-Suite. More likely, just a different deck or toward midship.

I have no issue with Princess on this. We have booked early and last minute. We have seen fares increase (without paying the increase of course) and we have had the benefit of decreases prior to final payment. We never make final payment until the day that it is due. You were happy with the fare prior the drop. What happens if Princess drops fares again on the last two weeks in order to fill cabins. Should everyone on the ship pay the lowest fare in each category? No different than airlines....bums in seats all at different prices...but get those seats filled.

It's so much easier to book the cruise directly with the line yourself and then you can call and deal with any issues yourself. Nobody will be more interested in your satisfaction then yourself. At the time of final payment if you're satisfied with your plans you can transfer your booking to a TA if they offer you something, usually pre paid gratuities or travel insurance.

This is The United States of America and pretty much, Capitalism rules (despite some left wing attempts to socialize us.) Makes sense to me what Princess does. You booked early, got your pick of the litter, cabin wise, and are all settled in. The dregs (not so choice cabins) have yet to fill and Princess has no intention of sailing at less than 100% capacity so is willing to drop their prices incrementally until the ship fills. I'm even guessing that closer to sailing you can get what's left for pennies on the dollar. It's The American Way. How about something in reverse?

Case in point: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=619618

I booked round-trip air, in February for our New Zealand/Australia cruise. That itinerary has now jumped from $1280 to $1940. Do you think ANZ would be within their rights to come back at me for the difference? Just my thoughts.

Just like when I book a cabin, I book what I am comfy in and can afford. When I book a cruise, it is what I can afford. Do I expect an upgrade or refund when the price drops? No....I want to go on the cruise which is why I booked it. I am sure it is like an airplane.....ask all the passengers what they paid and you will get a variety of prices. Seems to me that people want it both ways a lot of the time. Book the cruise but expect "freebies" (upgrade, price refund, drinks, etc). Sorry but nickel and diming that cruise line isn't my thing and certainly isn't worth the time and effort it takes. As Bobby McFarren said "don't worry be happy".

Archived