Empty seats in the dining room

Saracruise

I don't know about anyone else but I have NEVER had a full table at dinner. At least one other couple shows up at dinner and that is usually about it. Maybe RCCL should give people the option to not attend dinner in the dining room so that people who are shut out of that seating can get in. It is no fun when you are at a table for 10 and 4 of you are the only ones there.

We were recently unable to get late seating on the Majesty and were told by some people on the ship that there were a lot of people who never showed up to dinner.

We have been lucky, pretty much everyone always shows up except for an occassional no show due to Portofino's or other specialty. We had a 10 top on the Sovereign over Labor Day and everyone was there all 3 nights, but the table behind us was a 4 top and only one couple showed up the entire time, so guess it is just pretty much luck of the draw.

We've experienced both. I agree about letting others eat at a different seating if seats are available. But with a schedule to keep, it'd be hard to know when open seats are available. Some people have a hard time showing up on time for their assigned seating, imagine being 5 or 10 minutes late and finding someone else has filled your table. If people are not going to eat in the dining room at all, they can let the Maitre'D know on embarkation day and he will assign those seats to someone who has been waitlisted or wants a different table.

We've been on all three of the Sovereign class ships and have never spent one dinner in the dining room on any of them. I don't think we even know where the dining room is located on those ships. We pack much lighter for the 3 and 4 day cruises and I don't think we even pack a pair of long pants (maybe a pair of jeans). We just eat at Johhny Rockets (if applicable) or the Windjammer or that pizza place near the Windjammer for dinner.

Tim

That's why I think that when you have to choose early or late seating you should also be able to choose to eat at the buffett only. Three choices instead of two then people won't be shut out that like to eat in the dining room at a certain seating.

I don't think most cruisers would think to notify anyone if they had no intention of using their standing dinner reservation. Maybe this is something that would be helpful for TAs to pass on to their clients, and for cruise lines to put in their ticket packages. Even with these measures, there would still be no-shows.

I know it's none of my business, but I always feel bad for the servers with stations where people are no-shows.

Unless the pax has done auto-tip, the servers there go without part of their income for the week.

If you aren't going to go to your assigned table at all, at the very least tell the Maitre'd so someone else may be seated there. A couple weekends ago, there was an empty table beside us the whole time, I can't remember if it was 6 or 8, but that would reflect a loss of income of $63-84 for the waiter, $45-60 for the assistant for the weekend. They are there, present and ready for the diners, they have to stay whether you show up or not.

I know they expect some of that to happen, I just think it would be good manners to let them know in advance, so they don't wait for you all week.

I don't know about anyone else but I have NEVER had a full table at dinner. At least one other couple shows up at dinner and that is usually about it.
Maybe RCCL should give people the option to not attend dinner in the dining room so that people who are shut out of that seating can get in.
It is no fun when you are at a table for 10 and 4 of you are the only ones there.

People already have the option not to eat in the dining room and obviously many people exercise that option. We think you are suggesting giving people the option of declining a table assignment.

Most people would probably not want to decline a table assignment. Even though they didn't plan to eat in the dining room they would not opt to totally destroy any chance of eating there.

We understand your concern but there probably is not a good solution to this situation. On a seven day cruise we typcally eat in the dining room two or three times, nevertheless we like to know that there is always a table available to us if we decide to eat there.

I don't think most cruisers would think to notify anyone if they had no intention of using their standing dinner reservation. Maybe this is something that would be helpful for TAs to pass on to their clients, and for cruise lines to put in their ticket packages. Even with these measures, there would still be no-shows.

My wife and I have taken advantage of the DR only ONCE on all our cruises -- and that was on our honeymoon.

Ever since then, within the first 30 minutes after we board, we immediately go to the matre'd and have our table released for the entire week...we do not step foot in there at all. We *do* go to Chops...Portofino...or usually our favourite is the WJ, where it's always nice and quiet, the food is quite good for us, and the wait staff there gets to know quite well and takes good care of us to boot.

Michael

It sounds to me you guys are talking about open seating... :rolleyes:

NO NO NO... It's just that there are some people who CHOOSE TO NEVER EAT IN THE DINING ROOM but still have to pick early or late seating and their seats are empty in the dining room all week and people like me end up sitting at an empty table.

I wish more people knew to relase their table such as Michael has done, if it was an option ahead of time there would be more tables that are full because they know ahead of time that there are a certain number of people not attending the dining room at all.

Hmm, I have to admit: I've never talked to the Maitre'D to "release" our table when we knew we would not be eating in the restaurant all week. Mind you, I've only sailed on an assigned seating cruise line once.

We have autotip on our bill, so they get paid anyways..

Hmm, brings up a good point for discussion (or not?). If I am not using the restaurant, and only eat at WJ, or speciality, AND I do not have autotip option.. is it bad form for me not to tip for a service I do not use? I tip the speciality restaurant waiters because I use them.

Ie... if I do not use the main dining room, should I still tip the waiters there? Yes, I know it's part of their income, and that's the only reason why I could see paying it. hmmmm :confused:

We were on the Sovereign a couple of weeks ago...we knew we wouldnt be eating in the dining room.........so as soon as we got on, we went to tell the maitre'd........just in case, someone else wanted our seating....

He told us dont worry about..........didnt ask for our names, table number,dining time,nothing.........

We tried..........

We've been on all three of the Sovereign class ships and have never spent one dinner in the dining room on any of them. I don't think we even know where the dining room is located on those ships. We pack much lighter for the 3 and 4 day cruises and I don't think we even pack a pair of long pants (maybe a pair of jeans). We just eat at Johhny Rockets (if applicable) or the Windjammer or that pizza place near the Windjammer for dinner.

Tim

We also just did this on SOS as we wanted to relax after a port intensive cruise in June.We did let the dining room know we would not be there and they said thanks for letting us know but since it is late sitting you still can come if you change your mind.We enjoyed Windjammer, pizza and Rockets in our casual clothes.

Back to the dining room on Radiance in April through Panama Canal.But some nights we will dine in specialty dining rooms and buffet.We will let head waiter know when we will be gone from table.

A few years ago we were on a RCI cruise and had a large table (10) where the other 8 never showed-up for the entire cruise. We felt real bad for our waiter. As to a solution to this issue, we really like the system that they use on Princess ships. They have a dining room for the usual 1st and 2nd seatings and than other dining rooms are designated for "Personal Choice" where you just dine whenever you please. In "PC" you can come in the dining room with your own group, eat by yourselves, or simply ask for a large table to share.

Hank

We have autotip on our bill, so they get paid anyways..

Hmm, brings up a good point for discussion (or not?). If I am not using the restaurant, and only eat at WJ, or speciality, AND I do not have autotip option.. is it bad form for me not to tip for a service I do not use? I tip the speciality restaurant waiters because I use them.

Ie... if I do not use the main dining room, should I still tip the waiters there? Yes, I know it's part of their income, and that's the only reason why I could see paying it. hmmmm :confused:

Actually you are using their service when eating in the WJ since it's the dining room wait staff there as well.

On my 10 night solo cruise, my tablemates never showed up. The maitre'd even called them after the first night and they said yes, they were going to come to the dining room. It was really lonely that first night, just me - and nobody else. They never showed up the entire cruise.

Luckily the table next to me invited me to join them otherwise it would've been one lonely cruise.

It's funny, because that is the only cruise that my tablemates have not shown up for any of the meals.

Whatever you decide, please notify the dining room staff. It really helps them plan for the next night's dinner. The same wait staff that works in the dining room, works also breakfast in the Windjammer the very next morning. To those of you who don't go to dinner, tip the dining room staff as if you were there. The $$$ goes to those that helped you in the Wind Jammer that night or the next morning for breakfast.

Rick and Deirdra

In June I noticed a lot of empty tables in the dining room. Our waitress was upset and she told us it seems to becoming the norm now. She said many people are choosing to eat at the Windjammer or other places onboard as they can eat when they want. We felt bad for her and we ate in the dining room everynight except the second formal night.

In June I noticed a lot of empty tables in the dining room. Our waitress was upset and she told us it seems to becoming the norm now. She said many people are choosing to eat at the Windjammer or other places onboard as they can eat when they want. We felt bad for her and we ate in the dining room everynight except the second formal night.

We don't eat in the main dining room (at all) unless we are traveling with family. With the umpteen threads we have going on right now about the same subject, it is OBVIOUS why RCI is trying out open seating :D I hope they do decide to offer OPTIONS - not get rid of the traditional seating, just offer another option for those of us who don't like to eat at a set time as well as sit with strangers. It's a GOOD thing :D ;)

###

Our 1st cruise we had a table for 8 myself, dw, and two friendly ladies where the only 4 that showed up. The 2 friendly ladies informed us that they would not be joining us for formal night due to the "been there done that" issue. We had no problem with it and during conversation we let them know that we were celebrating our 1st Anniversary and they decided to join us. I feel and only by judging from what I read on here is that some people just prefer the open choice of WJ some just don't have the desire to do the cordial thing and some are just outright afraid of being judge by their choice of clothing while in the dinning room :o. I agree that if it can be well noted ahead of time if the cruiser will not be using the dinning room then by all means allow that seat to be used by some one that would like to enjoy it, I for one will continue to use the dining room as well as WJ, something about vacation makes me hungrier than normal :D

I always ate in the dining room in the past. But this time, I am concidering Chops or Portofino for one night. We have always had a table with our family, so it was always full, since our family is big, we've always cruised with 6-12 people.

We were on the Sovereign a couple of weeks ago...we knew we wouldnt be eating in the dining room.........so as soon as we got on, we went to tell the maitre'd........just in case, someone else wanted our seating....

He told us dont worry about..........didnt ask for our names, table number,dining time,nothing.........

We tried..........

I still think it is the right thing to do just in case someone wants or needs to have a certain dining time. A diabetic person may want to have early traditional dining since waiting to eat later disrupts their blood sugar level as they must maintain on a regular and evenly spaced eating schedule. I've seen this once when such a person even though his reservation showed the early dining, once on board they were giving the late dining. Initially they were told by the maitre'd that the early dining wasn't possible due to full ship and a high number of requests for the early seating. They had to go through a tremendous effort before they got the needed dining assignment. The maitre'd didn't want to help them so they had to go hotel manager to resolve their problem.

It may have been on your sailing there was plenty of availability already for that seating.

Archived