Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

.... and how much of the inside work gets done when it's no longer 'stationary'. A LOT of workers get free 'rides'.

That happens a lot on a new class, I think. On Voyager, they loaded supplies and workers for the transatlantic just before they launched her. It must require nerves of steel not to panic, as a RCL exec.

On Voyager, they loaded supplies and workers for the transatlantic just before they launched her. It must require nerves of steel not to panic, as a RCL exec.

Yes, I remember watching that in the documentary we bought onboard. It's very interesting that they had to do it that way. We were on the 4th sailing and as I recall, everything was pretty much finished & perfect.

And, I agree on your assessment of the exec's nerves. :eek:

Hi Darren and Travis,

Yes, I thnk so. My birthday is on the 4th. We booked early and snaagged a good cabin so I think we are pretty well set, but geez. I wish you guys were on our cruise, darn it. Hey I have a question for you. Have you guys ever thought about swapping houses for a long weekend? I am toying with the idea. I think it would be great. I could cash in airline miles, swap house and only have to pay for food and incidentals.

Toni

Hello everyone,

I’m still in the process of reading the rest of the posts. I have a hold on an AC cabin, on the Equinox and I’m trying to gather intelligent information from all of you that will be cruising on the same class ship before us.

Toni, and everyone else; what do you consider a good cabin? I’m looking at AC 1605. Anyone have any recommendations? AC is only $50.00 more from CC. I don’t like all the connections rooms on the ship; I think they went overboard. :D That’s why we like the AC cabin.

Thank for your help.

Bob

I think a good cabin doesn't connect to another (that brings more noise and less furniture) and is not under anything but another room. Being under a pool deck was awful when we did that last. Scraping of chairs started at 6 a.m. with the staff cleaning the decks for the day. We like to be near an elevator but not right by one (Hallway chatter). and fairly central in the ship.

I started a new thread on the board, but will post here too. I emailed Meyer Werft to ask them if they could pan the web camera right a little and they sent me the following image:

2815062920054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

You can get a full size shot at the following link by clicking on the menu icon that looks like a magnifying glass:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2815062920054958397PJMHkD

Phil

Thanks Ex! I'm also excited to see my aft cabin balcony! It's so comforting to know that if I 'fall off the ship' I'll just land on the balcony below instead having to get the Coast Guard involved. ;)

I started a new thread on the board, but will post here too. I emailed Meyer Werft to ask them if they could pan the web camera right a little and they sent me the following image:

2815062920054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

You can get a full size shot at the following link by clicking on the menu icon that looks like a magnifying glass:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2815062920054958397PJMHkD

Phil

from what it looks like the aft cabin balconies might be the same size as the others...am i wrong here?

OK I'm still not sure with this new picture. I have booked cabin 8343 for someone in my family and I'm still not convinced that the "bracket" will not interfere with the veranda. Anymore connections at the shipyard excitedofharpendon to ask that question. Or does anyone have better eyes than me;) .

To me, it looks like the top of the davits will be right in line with the floor of the Continental Deck (6000's) balconies. So far, I personally don't see it being any worse than the current views on the M-Class ships from Deck Six - you can't look straight down into the water from most of the cabins. I got myself a hump balcony on Sunrise Deck (7000's) on Equinox, just to be on the safe side, because they definitely look underneath the balconies there.

OK I'm still not sure with this new picture. I have booked cabin 8343 for someone in my family and I'm still not convinced that the "bracket" will not interfere with the veranda. Anymore connections at the shipyard excitedofharpendon to ask that question. Or does anyone have better eyes than me;) .

Conrycol, the picture link to my Webshots album above has a pretty high resolution. If you click on the magnify option and then right click and save the image to your computer you can then use your image viewer software to zoom in. It's still unclear how much that diagonal brace with the round windows interferes with those cabins next door to the aft Sky Suites though. To me it almost seems like there should be a bit of cutting out of that structure to accommodate the end balcony like yours , but it's just too hard to tell.

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with emailing Meyer Werft with specific questions about design. A couple of posts here from others that have done that doesn't seem to have evoked much response. I just thought I'd try with at least a picture from the webcam as a picture tells a thousand words and obviously my email was referred to a helpful person. PR is not the technical detail department you need though.

And awinner, I'd agree that those aft balconies are pretty much the same size as the rest of them. A tape measure might find them slightly bigger, but not by much.

Phil

To me, it looks like the top of the davits will be right in line with the floor of the Continental Deck (6000's) balconies. So far, I personally don't see it being any worse than the current views on the M-Class ships from Deck Six - you can't look straight down into the water from most of the cabins. I got myself a hump balcony on Sunrise Deck (7000's) on Equinox, just to be on the safe side, because they definitely look underneath the balconies there.

I wondered about my choice of 7352 - I cut out a portion of the photo and enlarged it - not very good quality this close. I don't know if this will help you or not. It looks like there is still work going on in that area. AftCloseUpSolstice_edited.jpg

I have 8343 booked on the Equinox,which is just like the Solstice. I'm wondering the same thing about the view being obstructed. Hate to pay high prices for an obstructed view

Thanks for all the help. I changed the room, didn't want to chance that there might be an obstruction. I don't think we'll really know until they board the ship.

I also originally booked one of those rear cabins with the extended balcony on the Equinox and have since rebooked with an aft cabin. After spending so much money on airfare, the cruise etc I wasn't 100% certain that the brace wasn't going to obstruct my view. It also looks kind of dark in that area.

Is it just me or does the bottom deck (continental) appear to have much deeper balconies? I'm not sure if there's going to be something in front, or if they're cut off & then there's empty space in front of their balconies, but I doubt it. I have a CC aft balcony booked on Panorama deck, but kind of tempted to switch to a sunset veranda down below. Any thoughts? (and yes, I know we won't no for sure until it's done!) Thanks for any insight.

Is it just me or does the bottom deck (continental) appear to have much deeper balconies? I'm not sure if there's going to be something in front, or if they're cut off & then there's empty space in front of their balconies, but I doubt it. I have a CC aft balcony booked on Panorama deck, but kind of tempted to switch to a sunset veranda down below. Any thoughts? (and yes, I know we won't no for sure until it's done!) Thanks for any insight.

I'm in an SV on the Continental Deck and it would be great if the balcony was deeper, but I don't think it will be. If you have a look at the picture posted above by denb you can just make out a white line on that extended deck below it. I think that is where the balcony railing will be, so there will be a ledge beyond it. Here's an artists impression that seems to endorse that. You can just see the balcony rails on each deck:

2443644030054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

If they extended the balcony it would make the outside of the ship look odd at the back, but it's a shame that the deck is there and can't be used. I guess it will make cleaning the balcony glass of those last few side aft and aft facing cabins easier!

Phil

Archived