Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Question for those CC'ers with experience in the introduction of new cruise ships - How does the buzz surrounding the Solstice compare to other new ships that have been introduced in the last few years? In your opinion is there more, less or about the same? :confused:

Hope it's OK to jump in and say - WOW! This ship looks incredible. Alas, I have no plans to sail on her or anywhere right now, but I think it's time to start the campaign with my family! What a beautiful ship- I will definitely be following the reviews and trip reports. For those who are lucky enough to have firm plans- enjoy!

[quote name='rolfecms']Question for those CC'ers with experience in the introduction of new cruise ships - How does the buzz surrounding the Solstice compare to other new ships that have been introduced in the last few years? In your opinion is there more, less or about the same? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Re Solstice- for some reason I feel there is less info out there about the ship vs intro of Crown Princess . Unless you are specifically seaching for info on the Solstice there is little or no mention of her in the main stream press- other than the CN Traveler-misinfomation artcile about AQ & 2 free spa treatments.
The NY Times Travel Magazine in Sept had a cruise article (OK it was skillfully edited ad) but no mention of the new ship. The European press (due to the build etc) has more info.I'm hoping that once she is in US waters we will see more.
Carole
E. Med 6/2009

Yeah, I am surprised that not even the Celebrity site has updated photos. You would think they would be trying to get some photos updated instead of all the renderings?? I am so thankful that sooo many are taking time to post the pictures and videos here. Thank you!:)

:D [FONT=System][COLOR=royalblue]Now if this shows up as a duplicate, I'll be upset, because it just disappeared! Any way, I feel like an OLD - which I am - poster, but I have never seen THAT before! And yes, I have a SOLSTICE back-to-back (b2b) booked for Feb.8/15-15/22 So far, I have not been able to convince anyone to do the second week! Oh, well, maybe someone from the first cruise??[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=System][COLOR=#4169e1] Anyway, thanks for the "trip"!! [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=System][COLOR=#4169e1] :) Mammabunny[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='darrencantwait']Why didn't they invite ME??? I'm in NYC. Sure hope they invited Cruise Critic so they can post some photos![/quote]

Hi Darren and Travis,
How is it going you two? Still in NY? We left PCB for Seattle, couldn't take the rain and traffic and came to HUntsville, AL and absolutely love it here. Best place I have ever lived and I have lived in alot of places.
Looking forward to sailing on the Solstice. We can't wait to explore this one in Jan.

BTW: weare grandparents now! Ashley (my dau) and Tommy gave us a beautiful grandson two months ago. He is the best!!!!!

Take care,
Toni and Gina

[quote name='Mammabunny']:D [FONT=System][COLOR=royalblue]Now if this shows up as a duplicate, I'll be upset, because it just disappeared! Any way, I feel like an OLD - which I am - poster, but I have never seen THAT before! And yes, I have a SOLSTICE back-to-back (b2b) booked for Feb.8/15-15/22 So far, I have not been able to convince anyone to do the second week! Oh, well, maybe someone from the first cruise??[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=System][COLOR=#4169e1] Anyway, thanks for the "trip"!! [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=System][COLOR=#4169e1] :) Mammabunny[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

my mom and dad are currently booked for the first leg of your trip. i am sailing her in december to test the waters and report to them :D

[quote name='dollfan']Hi Darren and Travis,
How is it going you two? Still in NY? We left PCB for Seattle, couldn't take the rain and traffic and came to HUntsville, AL and absolutely love it here. Best place I have ever lived and I have lived in alot of places.
Looking forward to sailing on the Solstice. We can't wait to explore this one in Jan.

BTW: weare grandparents now! Ashley (my dau) and Tommy gave us a beautiful grandson two months ago. He is the best!!!!!

Take care,
Toni and Gina[/QUOTE]

Hey there...good to hear from you. We're still in NYC. Just had a wonderful Alaska cruise (our of Vancouver) on Mercury. Doug and Vince and Charlie and Artie will be joining us on our Sostice cruise. We can't wait either.

I've been hearing great things about Alabama. Glad it is working for you. Don't forget to change your location in your CC profile.

Congrats on the new grandson! I'm sure he's a blessing to you all. Hope to see you onboard again someday!

[quote name='twobluecats']We are in an aft cabin on the inaugural cruise, but I've been away in Germany for several weeks. With the sail away and all, is there any new word on whether there will be an overhang on the aft-facing cabins?[/quote]

Does not look like it from any of the pictures we have seen when the ship went to sea for the sea trials. No cover on these aft balconies kinds of downgrades the appeal of aft cabins. I have noticed that several aft cabins have become available over the last two weeks. Maybe because people changed cabins when they realized there was no cover back there.

Hypo

This was posted earlier by Hypo, thought I'd post it here too:

I just got off the phone with Michaela, at Celebrity Captains Club.

This is what she told me.

She read an internal E-Mail that they just received in the last few days.

"Passengers staying in Suites (S2 and above) are to receive two complimentary specialty restaurant dining experiences for a cruise of 7 days or less. If cruise is greater than 8 days, you would receive three".

They are only accepting reservations for Murano's by phone directly to the Captains Club reservation number. (I guess that you also have to be a Captains Club member, we are by virtue of being Diamond on RCCL). You may request your first and second choice as to date and time for Murano.

For Solstice, they are only taking one pre-sailing reservation per booking number, if you are requesting Murano. They will send you an acknowledgement by E-Mail that you made the request, however you won't know whether you get your first or second choice of nights until you are on the ship.

For the second complimentary dining reservation, you may either book it when you first board the ship. Or, book it online (and pay for it online)

Michaela said that you could then get reimbursed on the ship. I am not going to do that, as I have my doubts about the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing. We will book our second night when we first board the ship.

I asked her if she could forward the E-Mail to me, but she couldn't as it was for internal distribution only.

This is a greatly improved perk for booking suites, when compared to RCCL.

found some new pics of solstice
[URL]http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.112nederland.nl/Groningen/nieuws/4317/overig-nieuws-exclusief-kijkje-op-de-celebrity-solstice.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=46&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcelebrity%2Bsolstice%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3Dd[/URL]

[quote name='cruise47']Slide Title: Veranda Balconies
Please review slide 120 of 183: the veranada has only one glass panel between the staterooms; with a very long corridor. Will Celebrity add another glass panel for privacy and safety between staterooms?[/quote]

If you look closely at the bottom corner it looks like the rounded corner of part of the panel that will close of the balcony, they are probably in the open position to facilitate movement during the work process, i'm sure they will normally be in the closed and locked mode.

[quote name='Disney Campers']ALso found some more pictures, might have to be a facebook member to view them.

[URL]http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=26776540718&view=all[/URL]

also a video of the life raft deployment
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=66062570486&oid=26776540718[/URL][/quote]

Great links. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, but I certainly hope I never have to!!

[quote name='elena7seas']The standard balcony certainly is a nice size. I wonder if there will be loungers on the regular balconies?[/quote]

[B][COLOR=indigo]Below is the photo of the mock up of a balcony from a previous CC Article. It shows the balcony furniture. I do like the higher table which will allow dining on the balcony. By looking at the two chairs in this photo it appears that the height is adjustable (compare the legs and back) which would allow higher for use with the table or lower for lounging. It only shows one stool though in the photo. I hope that each lounger has a stool so that we don't have to fight over it. LOL You can also see clearly how the balcony dividers fold back when not in use. [/COLOR][/B]

[IMG]http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/solsticechairs.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='cruise47']Slide Title: Veranda Balconies
Please review slide 120 of 183: the veranada has only one glass panel between the staterooms; with a very long corridor. Will Celebrity add another glass panel for privacy and safety between staterooms?[/quote]

I'm not positive but almost certain (99.9 %) that the glass panel you saw will swing shut and close the opening between staterooms.

Bon

Archived