Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

[quote name='Host Karen']I forgot to include the new website dedicated to Solstice which is now up and running: [URL="http://www.cruiseCelebritySolstice.com"]www.cruiseCelebritySolstice.com[/URL]

Karen[/quote]

Thank you for posting the new Solstice web page. I think the cabins look just fine but I am concerned about the clothing storage. It is good that they are giving us more space for luggage under the bed but where is all the closet space..... and there is that darn glass table in front of the sofa again. That is the first thing I get rid of because I have a thing about stumbling into it in the middle of the night. :eek:

We will have Cabin 8261 (2A) Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda on the Vista Deck. The cabin I see in the new pictures looks a little different than the one on the brochure we got. Like the idea of the larger TV, 32" should have a better view, just hope the clarity is better than the one we had on the Radiance in July.

We just can't wait for our Celebrity Solstice B2B March 15 & 22nd, 2009, so we can all meet at the Meet and Mingle for Cruise Critic. We have never done a back to back before and look forward to this new experience.

By the way, does Celebrity use Seattle's Best coffee like Royal Caribbean does? I really like the Seattle's Best. :p

Irene & Miles

[quote name='ichur']Thank you for posting the new Solstice web page. I think the cabins look just fine but I am concerned about the clothing storage. It is good that they are giving us more space for luggage under the bed but where is all the closet space..... and there is that darn glass table in front of the sofa again. That is the first thing I get rid of because I have a thing about stumbling into it in the middle of the night. :eek:

We will have Cabin 8261 (2A) Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda on the Vista Deck. The cabin I see in the new pictures looks a little different than the one on the brochure we got. Like the idea of the larger TV, 32" should have a better view, just hope the clarity is better than the one we had on the Radiance in July.

We just can't wait for our Celebrity Solstice B2B March 15 & 22nd, 2009, so we can all meet at the Meet and Mingle for Cruise Critic. We have never done a back to back before and look forward to this new experience.

By the way, does Celebrity use Seattle's Best coffee like Royal Caribbean does? I really like the Seattle's Best. :p

Irene & Miles[/quote]
[B]I think that cruising has hooked us on Seattle's best! ;) [/B]

[quote name='ichur']Thank you for posting the new Solstice web page. I think the cabins look just fine but I am concerned about the clothing storage. It is good that they are giving us more space for luggage under the bed but where is all the closet space..... and there is that darn glass table in front of the sofa again. That is the first thing I get rid of because I have a thing about stumbling into it in the middle of the night. :eek:

Irene & Miles[/quote]

Nope... this is where you are going to be sad, unless the Solstice is going to have their act together with coffee. You will hear EVERYONE talk about how bad the coffee is with Celebrity. It is true. They do not use Seattle's Best. I can't figure out why Royal is so good with coffee (something so simple in my opinion) and Celebrity just can't do it. Even their specialty coffee place... the Cova... everyone was very awkward there making anything. They aren't really designed for coffee on the go. They just gave me a blank stare when I asked for a large cafe mocha to go. I was so bummed to have this happen on the first morning of our 12 night cruise. My husband and I saved a lot of money on the cruise with not having all of our specialty coffee. It was bad everywhere on the ship. I really hope Solstice is different. It is not that hard to make good coffee. Royal does it great!

[quote name='ATLfuzzy']Celebrity is unveilling a new coffee line and larger coffee mugs as well...[/quote]

Man! I sure hope so. I just don't know why they don't do Seattle's Best? I heard rumors of Starbucks, and I sure would prefer Seattle's. When I ordered a cafe mocha on the Century, the girl had to call for help to run the frother... she did not have a clue. They shouldn't try to do so many things at their coffee counter. You have snacks, and wine, and then a sit down cafe type place... I just think it is a little much because they don't do any of it justice.

We had the same experience on Celebrity--ordered a mocha frapuccino type drink at the Cova --they had to call in help to do it, it took forever & when it arrived it was really bad & we had to reject it... we avoided that experience for the rest of the cruise

Hope the new Cafe Baccio on Solstice has better trained staff---that could be a very nice aftre dinner spot...

Hi
I love the Millenium Class ships - esp. the Cova Cafe, it is one of my favorite spots on board all Millenium- Class Ships. I hope Cafe Al Baccio is catching up with that. I never had a bad experience at Covas. I also hope they do the string quartet there during the early afternoon hours.
Greetings
Michael

We cruised the Navigator OTS several years ago and found that we spent more time than we thought we would in the coffee shop. It was a very enjoyable place to stop for a few and grab a cup of coffee. Ever since then, Seattle's Best is my brand. The heck with Starbucks! I know "it's a business," but charging me for a decent cup of coffee is just a joke. Cova is great, but for me, that's where I would want to go to get something fancier than a plain old cuppa (good) joe. I surely hope they bring a better coffee to Celebrity soon!

Herr Depping does it again. Beautiful pictures!

We cruised the Navigator OTS several years ago and found that we spent more time than we thought we would in the coffee shop. It was a very enjoyable place to stop for a few and grab a cup of coffee. Ever since then, Seattle's Best is my brand. The heck with Starbucks! I know "it's a business," but charging me for a decent cup of coffee is just a joke. Cova is great, but for me, that's where I would want to go to get something fancier than a plain old cuppa (good) joe. I surely hope they bring a better coffee to Celebrity soon!

Herr Depping does it again. Beautiful pictures!

Celebrity announced new coffee in their July 10 press release:

Celebrity also has upgraded its complimentary coffee to the European brand, "Seventh," a blend of Arabica and Robusta beans, which guests can sip from new, full-sized coffee mugs.

I was on Mercury sailing on August 24. The new coffee is better, but by no means great. Not as good as Seattle's Best, I would say. However, the coffee that comes from room service seems better.

Hey guys - I am booked in a celebrity suite on the Solstice for the 18/8/09 Eastern Med sailing, I'm not sure if anyone's asked this but does anyone know if the divider between the bedroom and living area is retractable? I've only ever been on one other cruise but my favourite thing was to sit in bed and look at the Ocean, it would be a pity not to be able to see out from the bedroom considering the majority of time spent in a cabin is normally in bed!

Just curious to know if this is a question anyone else has raised.

Nick

I was asked by RCL to remove all interior shots of Solstice from my Picasa album, as they don't wish to have images of the unfinished ship publicized.

Of course I comply with this!

For the time being, I removed the complete album, until I have time to clean it up. I was told that exterior shots are OK, so they will return again later.

Sorry about that!

Just for the record: We visited the ship on an official tour and I took all pictures openly. We weren't told any restrictions concerning the taking of pictures and also weren't asked to not take pictures.

^^^^^^^^^

Well that kind of sucks! Sorry you had to go through all of that. It kind of doesn't make sense, since all you are doing is whetting the appetites of already booked and possible future-booked customers. Thanks for posting them when you did.

In America we have a saying, it's the MAN keeping us down.

Marc, Just want to thank you for all your efforts. The pictures were great. I don't fully understand why they wanted you to take them down but you did the right thing when they asked. I can't wait to sail Solstice on Nov. 30 and people like you who post pictures make it seem even closer to the time we sail away. Again,Thanks

Pat

I was asked by RCL to remove all interior shots of Solstice from my Picasa album, as they don't wish to have images of the unfinished ship publicized.

Of course I comply with this!

For the time being, I removed the complete album, until I have time to clean it up. I was told that exterior shots are OK, so they will return again later.

Sorry about that!

Just for the record: We visited the ship on an official tour and I took all pictures openly. We weren't told any restrictions concerning the taking of pictures and also weren't asked to not take pictures.

I am glad I saw them when they were up. Thanks for posting them, and I am sure they appreciate you taking them down when they asked.

We'll be see Solstice in person soon!

Mike

Archived