UPGRADE! And which side is Statue of Liberty?

cnvh

Hubby and I booked a VF GTY for our 10/31 sailing on the Noordam; I just found our cabin number today via the Immigration page, and we got 6145, which is an upgrade from VF to VB. We're quite pleased!!

Now in looking at the deck plans, I believe we are on the starboard side of the ship-- correct?

So to those of you who have sailed out of NYC, which side of the ship will we be passing the Statue of Liberty on? (In otherwords, will we be able to watch Lady Liberty pass by from our verandah, or will we have to find a space on a public deck?)

cnvh: correct! Lady Liberty will be on the ship's starboard as you sail out of NYC.

We sailed into NYC last October on the Noordam about 5:30 am and we were up and about to see her on our port side-beautiful sight, even at that early hour.

Have a great cruise!

Sweet... thanks for your quick replies!

Since we're confirmed for early seating for dinner, looks like our first night's meal might have to be room service-- no way are we missing watching the Statue of Liberty pass by from our own balcony!

You ought to be able to do both. You pass the Statue about 20-30 minutes after sailing. If sail-away is at 4:45 you can enjoy it for a bit, see the statue, and still get to dinner (change for dinner as you head for the statue).

You ought to be able to do both. You pass the Statue about 20-30 minutes after sailing. If sail-away is at 4:45 you can enjoy it for a bit, see the statue, and still get to dinner (change for dinner as you head for the statue).

That's what I'm hoping, because we really enjoy having our meals in the main dining room, so we don't want to miss that either... it seems like as long as the ship departs on schedule, we should be OK, but I hear that ships often depart late out of NYC... so we'll have to see how it goes.

Last year, we headed for the Crow's Nest immediately after the life boat muster because we wanted to see NYC straight ahead as opposed to from the side. However, we were on the port side so didn't have an option of staying in our room. The ship left on time, we saw the statue, took lots of pictures, and made it up to the diningroom for early seating.

Lady Liberty never fails to thrill me, even though we live in NY, and seeing it at dusk or night time is really beautiful. This summer we took a Circle Line tour of the harbor and they narrated as we passed all the buildings. I wish someone on HAL would do that because it's so interesting.

This year we have an aft cabin and I can't decide what we will do. Probably watch from our own verranda.

...it seems like as long as the ship departs on schedule, we should be OK, but I hear that ships often depart late out of NYC... .

I've sailed out of NYC more times than I can count. Only once (that I recall) were we late leaving---and that was extraordinary circumstances. That was in '03, and there had been a massive blackout the day before; flights, busses, trains were all shut down. We sailed at 1:00 AM. (and it was beautiful.)

The odds of sailing on time are excellent, IMO.

Sweet... thanks for your quick replies!

Since we're confirmed for early seating for dinner, looks like our first night's meal might have to be room service-- no way are we missing watching the Statue of Liberty pass by from our own balcony!

What time is your dinner? You are scheduled to depart at 4:45 pm and I don't think it would take more that half an hour to get to the Statue of Liberty. (I have not sailed out of NYC yet but have seen many of the cruise ships departing. Like the Grand Princess from Brooklyn today :))

Added after initial post - I just saw this posted elsewhere regarding early sitting dinner:

5:45 p.m. (Early Upper)

6:15 p.m. (Early Lower)

It may cut it a bit close if you are Early Upper.

but I hear that ships often depart late out of NYC... so we'll have to see how it goes.

I don't know if they are more prone to it in NYC than in other places. Often I see them leave on time (we were treated a few weekends ago with 3 ships leaving in 15 minute intervals!) but sometimes they are late. Today the Grand Princess left about 20-30 minutes late.

I'd say dress for dinner and watch the Statue go by and you'd be ready for dinner.

It is very warm in NYC right now (87°F today, a record!) but it could be much colder by the end of the month. You may not want to be outside... :eek:

We last sailed out of NYC in February and it was freezing, but when we went by the statue I was outside taking pictures. They are a bit more lenient on arrival time for dinner the first night. I think they know everyone wants to see Lady Liberty. You will have plenty of time if the ship sails on time. We got to dinner by 5:50.

Hi The Statue of Liberty is starboard when leaving from NYC. For those of you on port side, keep in mind, you have a view upon returning.

Laura

We were on the port side last time so watched from the Lido Pool area...then grabbed a quick dinner in the Lido. Having gotten up at 4 AM to get the bus to Boston, we were beyond tired! But, I did get up early that last day to see her from our verandah. What a sight!

This year, we booked an aft verandah...so I suspect that's where we'll be to view Lady Liberty....it's a breathtaking sight!

We are confirmed early for dinner (always forget whether it's upper or lower, but I DO know for sure that it's the 5:45 PM seating.)

Sounds like if things are running on time (or close to it), we should be OK... I believe we'll take the suggestion of dressing for dinner just in case, and if all goes well, then we can just head to the dining room right after we pass the statue...

We are confirmed early for dinner (always forget whether it's upper or lower, but I DO know for sure that it's the 5:45 PM seating.)

Sounds like if things are running on time (or close to it), we should be OK... I believe we'll take the suggestion of dressing for dinner just in case, and if all goes well, then we can just head to the dining room right after we pass the statue...

Keep in mind that 1st night is always casual - no real dressing up required. You may not even have your luggage prior to your early dinner time.

And that NYC sailaway is SO much more than just seeing the Statue from your starboard verandah! Get up on top of that big beautiful ship & see the ENTIRE skyline for yourself. You won't regret it. :)

Archived