Do Any of the "CC Old Timers" Remember?

sail7seas

Who remembers Burbunny? She was so very helpful teaching people how to bid for hotels on the various sites?

Oh, yes! :) Her name is Amber, isn't it? She stopped posting on this board, but I do recall her posting in other forums here. Don't know if she still does.

I guess it's the way of the world that eventually we all move on to to other things.

What about Jean, whose screen name was something like elmorejj? I met she and her husband on the Zaandam. A very nice, funny person; easy to talk to. They live in Ohio. Does anyone else know who I'm talking about?

Roz

What about Jean, whose screen name was something like elmorejj? I met she and her husband on the Zaandam. A very nice, funny person; easy to talk to. They live in Ohio. Does anyone else know who I'm talking about?

Roz

Roz -

I remember jean... I see her posting hear now and again... :cool:

Ekerr, it's good to know that Jean's still around.

Does anyone remember when Doone (still on this board) and Danno would trade posts back and forth about his upcoming HAL cruise? This went on for MONTHS. It was back in 2001-2002 when I first started posting (does this make me an old timer? :eek: ).

Danno was/is a Celebrity cruiser, and I think he was kind of let down when he came back from his cruise. I think sometimes all the buildup on this board can lead to some unrealistic expectations.

Roz

I think sometimes all the buildup on this board can lead to some unrealistic expectations.

Roz

Roz -

I often wonder about this myself... we started cruising long before I was directed to this site, but I wonder how many people anticipate based on what they read here? In many ways, it's far different than the actual experience.

I find I pay more attention to things that are discussed here when I am onboard - which may be good or bad...

Ekerr, I agree with you. This board has brought attention to things that I normally wouldn't even know about, let alone notice. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :D

Roz

Roz

Jean is a hoot! We sailed with her on the Veendam on a 14 day once. She is very funny and very nice.

I'm thrilled we started cruising long before I knew about message boards. Sometimes all the micro planning and detailed questioning for first time cruisers takes the thrill and excitement and awe away from first crossing the gangway of one of these gorgeous ships. IMO

We had almost no idea what to expect and knew just about nothing. Funny how we managed to pick a cabin, get to the ship, board, find our way around and have a great cruise. :) We also did some stupid things and asked some really dumb questions when aboard but that also was part of the fun...... for us.

On the other hand.......new cruisers who come to the boards don't miss anything because they simply didn't know about it.

Here are a couple more folks we don't see here anymore:

tatka

Ryansmemom (Linda, "thanks for listening")

Giorgi-one

Charlie2na

Wonder what happened to them? They were all around when I first got here...

Here are a couple more folks we don't see here anymore:

tatka

Ryansmemom (Linda, "thanks for listening")

Giorgi-one

Charlie2na

Wonder what happened to them? They were all around when I first got here...

Laura, I am pretty sure Tatka is still a very active poster just not here. I think she posts more over on Celebrity and RCL. She has been trying different cruise lines.

Here's the result of some searches:

Burbunny - last post 9/3/07 on Celebrity forum

tatka - last post TODAY on Celebrity forum

Ryansmemom - 9/4/07 on Cruise Fashions, 9/3/07 on a Zaandam roll call

Giorgi-one - 9/26/07 on NCL forum

elmorejj - 8/29/07 on this HAL forum

Charlie2na is the only one who has long stopped posting: last was 2/23/06 on the East Coast departures forum

............... I think sometimes all the buildup on this board can lead to some unrealistic expectations.

Roz

I couldn't agree more. I don't think any cruise line could live up to the praise each line receives on these boards. The majority of people posting on each board are the people who love each line the most. So it can come across as idyllic which no cruise line can possibly be.

In all honesty, cruising was more exciting for us when there was more of an air of mystique when we boarded. I've learned a lot here over the years, but it's taken away the pre-cruise magic a little. I hope to return soon to that level of anticipation ... like a small child filled with wonder on Christmas morning.

However, when we board a ship for our cruise all thought of what I have read here disappears and our experience becomes about being out there in a dream world ... that's what cruising does for me. It's a safe place, away from all the "busy-ness" of everyday life.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think any cruise line could live up to the praise each line receives on these boards. The majority of people posting on each board are the people who love each line the most. So it can come across as idyllic which no cruise line can possibly be.

In all honesty, cruising was more exciting for us when there was more of an air of mystique when we boarded. I've learned a lot here over the years, but it's taken away the pre-cruise magic a little. I hope to return soon to that level of anticipation ... like a small child filled with wonder on Christmas morning.

However, when we board a ship for our cruise all thought of what I have read here disappears and our experience becomes about being out there in a dream world ... that's what cruising does for me. It's a safe place, away from all the "busy-ness" of everyday life.

I agree with all you've said!

Sometimes reading too much can be detrimental to your cruise and spoil some of the magic.

It's funny ... I get on a cruise ship and look at my 1,800 or so fellow pax and wonder how many of them read message boards ... and how many are just letting the experience unfold on its own ...

Many of the passengers I've met on cruises don't even use the internet, period, let alone a message board.

For instance, I've had people ask me how I went on an excursion when it was sold out. When I explain that I booked it 60 days ahead of time on the HAL website, they look at me like I have 2 heads. :rolleyes:

Same thing with immigration forms when you're waiting in line at the cruise terminal.

Roz

You can pick up so much valuable info here, but you can also overdose.

Reminds me of when I first went to Disney World, and people gave me their lists of everything I **had** to do.

The same can happen with a cruise.

ROZ: I just noticed, we are within one post of each other in our totals! :-)

Oceanwench,

I know what you mean. In the interest of trying to help people, I've seen posters in this forum hand down pronouncements like Solomon :D . For instance, "you have to get a balcony", "you have to eat in the Pinnacle", "you must order a wang-wang", "you'll be out of place without a tux on formal night", "no trip to Alaska is complete without spending a thousand dollars on shore excursions", etc. Well, you get the idea.

Actually, there's very little you HAVE to do on a cruise ship, other than show up with proper ID, pay your bill at the end, and get off the ship.

Roz

Many of the passengers I've met on cruises don't even use the internet, period, let alone a message board.

For instance, I've had people ask me how I went on an excursion when it was sold out. When I explain that I booked it 60 days ahead of time on the HAL website, they look at me like I have 2 heads. :rolleyes:

Same thing with immigration forms when you're waiting in line at the cruise terminal.

Roz

Great post, Roz.

It is another thing for which I thank Cruise Critic. Were it not for them, I wonder if even now I would have my computer. :)

In the 'old days', I had web tv and found CC and would visit here with that 'toy'. I had no interest in computers, had no one to teach me anything about them, set it up for me etc DH was no help. :D I didn't care how slow it was. I did nothing more with it than e-mail and come to CC and another cruise board. It served me fine.

One day, CC did a major upgrade and I could no longer access CC with my pathetic Web TV. I e-mailed Laura Sterling and told her I was sorry I couldn't reach the site anymore and wanted her to know that web tv'ers were 'out of luck'. She wrote a lovely response and 'gently' suggested I get with it and think about buying a computer.

I said to myself........she's right!!

That is the only reason I made myself figure out how to use this precious laptop. I'm now on my second one and can't imagine life without it. :)

I REMEMBER THE POSTS BY JOEL KEENAN!! They were great. What fun we had with him.

Who remembers Burbunny? She was so very helpful teaching people how to bid for hotels on the various sites? She had a wonderful site of her own, didn't she? She used to post here regularly and suddenly disappeared. I always wondered why.

Burbunny, has a site that is for figuring out how to use hotwire or priceline. I messaged with her a few months ago. She was great. She is not posting a lot at CC.

jc

I can understand how some would think message boards such as this could provide too much information. But for me, it's been a real help. I learn things that enhance my experience. It helped especially for our first cruise. I found myself being comfortable with the things being done. I even ended up helping some perplexed fellow passengers ... and that was my first time onboard a cruise ship!

Even with what I learn here, there is still so much to discover while onboard. All the little design/decor touches and cubbyholes that are never mentioned. And no amount of information can spoil the beauty and uniqueness of each port of call and the people you meet there.

I much prefer being an informed traveler. I still find I experience many "a-ha" moments.

Great post, Roz.

It is another thing for which I thank Cruise Critic. Were it not for them, I wonder if even now I would have my computer. :)

In the 'old days', I had web tv and found CC and would visit here with that 'toy'. I had no interest in computers, had no one to teach me anything about them, set it up for me etc DH was no help. :D I didn't care how slow it was. I did nothing more with it than e-mail and come to CC and another cruise board. It served me fine.

One day, CC did a major upgrade and I could no longer access CC with my pathetic Web TV. I e-mailed Laura Sterling and told her I was sorry I couldn't reach the site anymore and wanted her to know that web tv'ers were 'out of luck'. She wrote a lovely response and 'gently' suggested I get with it and think about buying a computer.

I said to myself........she's right!!

That is the only reason I made myself figure out how to use this precious laptop. I'm now on my second one and can't imagine life without it. :)

Web Tv :)

Talk about a blast from the past.

I had one of those when they first came out.

Just like you I had no need to get a computer, no idea how to set one up and no desire to learn *LOL*

I didn't need one in my home for work. Paid my bills by phone or good old snail mail. At the time between work and a busy social life (I was single back then *LOL*) I was hardly ever home so why bother.

I got tired of being looked at like a caveman everytime I said I had to wait to go to work to get my e mail, or whatever by my friends, so I caved and got Web TV .

God that tiny little keyboard and man it was slower than molasses. *LOL* But I got hooked on it. After a while like you said , fewer and fewer sites on teh net were able to be accessed by Web TV so I eventually had to cave in further and get a computer.

I still have that thing up in my closet next to my 8 track tape player, my Atari 2600 system , and my Spiro Agnew watch *LOL*

Our second computer, back 1993 or 1994 was a Dell Pentium I -!!!! We were so thrilled to have it, and it cost a small fortune, about $2,500. Things sure have changed.... now we each have our own laptop, wireless, etc.

Our very 1st PC was an old Amstrad that DH bought through one of those Amex advertisements that used to come with the Amex bill... (anyone remember those????) It wasn't even Windows based, but DOS and had those large floppy discs - that was in 1988. :eek:

Archived