We Gave An Extra $20 And He Seemed Annoyed!

wizard-of-roz

We never tip the maitre'd either. We rarely see the person and I think that it is superficial for her/him to come around to each table once just to say "hello" and then expect money on the last night. We always tip more to servers and waiters and our room steward.

Vicki

You know, you had a nice cruise, and evidently, had good service throughout - until this mistaken lapse. Ultimately, this didn't involve the overall service eve though it created a last night slight to the ego.

Conversely... on her first cruise, my elderly mom mistakenly tipped the maitre d' too much - I mean WAY TOO MUCH... even though we were a group with an extra large table. I look after her affairs to an extent so when I figured out what happened... well - I remember it with a smile now; there's nothing you can do right...

I figured it out - in part - because shortly after she gave the guy the envelope at the dining room entrance, he comes running up to the table, nearly landed on it, gushing and kissing my mom Italian style, showing her pictures of his kids (including the new born that arrived during this contract) carrying on appreciatively to no end... the dude was unstoppable. It was one of those, "What gives?" moments (apparently Mom gives... ;))

Of course - my feeling after figuring it out later was - "Sh*t, for that, he ought to be up here packing your luggage giving you a pedicure!" :D But she did nothing wrong really she was just a little confused about the tipping. Still it was Fabulous Cruise. It's easy to hold on to little stuff and forget how great the big picture is (I do it all the time). You did right, let it go.

You know, you had a nice cruise, and evidently, had good service throughout - until this mistaken lapse. Ultimately, this didn't involve the overall service eve though it created a last night slight to the ego.

Conversely... on her first cruise, my elderly mom mistakenly tipped the maitre d' too much - I mean WAY TOO MUCH... even though we were a group with an extra large table. I look after her affairs to an extent so when I figured out what happened... well - I remember it with a smile now; there's nothing you can do right...

I figured it out - in part - because shortly after she gave the guy the envelope at the dining room entrance, he comes running up to the table, nearly landed on it, gushing and kissing my mom Italian style, showing her pictures of his kids (including the new born that arrived during this contract) carrying on appreciatively to no end... the dude was unstoppable. It was one of those, "What gives?" moments (apparently Mom gives... ;))

Of course - my feeling after figuring it out later was - "Sh*t, for that, he ought to be up here packing your luggage giving you a pedicure!" :D But she did nothing wrong really she was just a little confused about the tipping. Still it was Fabulous Cruise. It's easy to hold on to little stuff and forget how great the big picture is (I do it all the time). You did right, let it go.

Curious as to what you mean by that.....

I am just a bit confused about this one. I have never seen anyone, waiter or maitre d', open any of the tip envelopes they have been given. It would actually shock me to see it happen.

Secondly, you have to know that they ALL know who has taken their auto tips off, long before the "last supper" so if you give them an envelope on the last night they know it is an extra tip (assuming it is a tip and not a love note) besides that, after dinner on the last night, I never see them on the day we disembark, so they would not have a chance to "give me the evil eye" if they felt I had offended them with to small a tip.

I think $20 to the head cheese is a very generous tip. In all fairness, what have they actually done for you?? Unless you had an issue that they dealt with to your satisfaction, there is no need to tip them. The Table Captain is another story. Many times we have tipped them extra as they have done things to enhance our dining experience ( you know, that "special" pasta dish, etc.), other times we have not tipped them extra as all they did was "swing by" a few times during the cruise and ask how we were doing (more often on the last few nights)

We have never tipped the MD. Sometimes we all feel lucky if he even speaks to us. Last cruise we had a wonderful waitstaff and tipped them well on the last evening after dinner. From previous experience we know to write on the envelope that auto tips are still in place. He asked for our last name and checked somehow. We did see them later in the evening after their shift was done having a beer in Explorers. They sent us a drink. :) Truly nice guys. Never had a problem with cabin steward/ess. Always tipped extra on the last morning.

Last one was just ok. Tipped a little bit when we got on, as we had a couple of things we wanted, but sometimes would find our room not made up until 3 or 4 in the afternoon.:eek: Trash not emptied, etc. So, in the end, I hate to say this, we did not leave anything extra.

They do know who has left on the auto tips and who has removed them.

I think Italian style is on both cheeks. One of our friends is Italian and whenever we get together with their family, it's kissing on both cheeks all around. Fortunately, not being Italian, I only have to kiss the women on both cheeks.

As to whether the maitre d' deserves a tip or not, usually people don't think of the behind the scenes guys deserving anything. They may appear to only show up when it's time to campaign for a tip, but think about how many tables there are in however many seatings. I've had them show up at any random night of the cruise. Under the old tipping guidelines when we handed tips out on the last night, the had waiter and maitre d' were each suggested at $5-10 per couple per week. Not sure if they are part of the auto-tip pool now or not, but the OP did good and shouldn't hold any bad feelings about this particular maitre d' for not being more glowing.

I left the "auto-tip" on and I didn't see him open the envelope, in front of me but my DH said that it was opened (when he turned back to look at him and he was holding it in his hand!)

Good idea to write on the envelope "EXTRA TIP!" I'll do that, in the future.

His name was Vincenza (sp?)

Thanks for all the good advice...especially the one about what color and font to write in......

I have never tipped a MD. I find that they tend to ignore you until about the second last day when they become friendly all of a sudden. Being in "management" I would think they make fairly good money just like MD's in better restaurants. It sounds like that the OP's MD was just a jerk. If he didn't want the money, he could just give it to a hardworking waiter who I'm sure would appreciate the extra $20.

When auto tipping first came in, my feeling was that I would never remove the auto tip but that I would only tip extra for excellent service. On my last three cruises, I have ended up tipping my room steward and dining room waiters extra as the service was great. When I fill out my survey, I always mention the really good people by name. I don't know whether it helps, but it can't hurt.

:D :D

What I meant was... fast - sort of ambassadorial - repeated side to side pecks on the check. This is a sort of affectionate greeting common in France too (but much less so in Germanic countries), but since the MD was Italian I perhaps over specified it as "Italian".

I think writing in "extra tip" on the envelope is a good idea.

I recall giving an additional tip to our steward on one of our Princess cruises, and I explained (or so I thought), that it was "extra and that I had left our tips on." He then answered something like "oh that's OK, I understand." :confused: Huh? I guess he found out later, but I was the one left not understanding what he meant.

I think writing in "extra tip" on the envelope is a good idea.

I recall giving an additional tip to our steward on one of our Princess cruises, and I explained (or so I thought), that it was "extra and that I had left our tips on." He then answered something like "oh that's OK, I understand." :confused: Huh? I guess he found out later, but I was the one left not understanding what he meant.

Either have I...(I don't remember ever seeing these envelopes being opened in front of guests.) But, when my DH turned around, as we were walking towards our table.....he saw that the envelope had been opened, as we were walking away and it was in the MD's hands.

It would have been nice of the MD to walk over to our table and acknowledge the gift. He and I had a few friendly encounters, while we were in the dining room and it just felt strange that he ignored me then!

It was the last night, he was not going to see us the next day.....

However, we will be back on the Golden on November 24th.....if he's still there and we're seated in his area; what would you do?

I would not add an additional tip next time he serves you, if you felt he was ingrateful. If he does serve you again, you might even ask him about it. Perhaps he didn't realize it was additional to the auto-tip, or maybe there's something more to it. It wouldn't hurt to ask. If nothing else, he might think twice about the snub next time.

If I had a nose turned up at a $20, I personally would complain to Princess, with the person's name included. I worked for tips for decades. It's not acceptable.

after reading through all these comments i am left wondering , do they actually recieve the tips we leave on auto-tip, or do they get a percentage of it, has anyone ever asked how the tips work, but in saying that would we get the real answer from the crew, cause they could say they got 50% and the cruise line took so much for their keep during the length of their contract or whatever, i think i will ask one of my friends who had a daughter worked in the dance troupes on board a cruise line, it would be really annoying if they didnt get any of it or even a percentage, i like to think when i tip it goes straight to the person who deserves it,

linda:)

Now I am thinking my cabin steward may have assumed we did not already have the suggested tips in place..We've never had a bad cruise or any one event that hampered any cruise,,we feel the crew works very hard and deserve tips from all passengers..writing on the envelope "Thank you for your exceptional service, please find enclosed a little extra for your efforts".......would be wise. As far a dining crew members, I have also never seen any person open a envelope in person,,,one passenger did say she saw her envelope in her cabin torn up and thrown on the floor,,now I'm guessing the steward was not too thrilled with her tip..

However, we will be back on the Golden on November 24th.....if he's still there and we're seated in his area; what would you do?

If Brenda ate dinner with you guys, he will remember you (who can forget that loveable face!), so I would wave at him the first time you saw him, call him over, tell him how much you enjoyed the service, the food and the special appetizers on the last cruise ('just a few weeks ago') and are looking forward to excellent service once again.

Don't mention the extra tip or anything, just a very friendly reminder that you remember him.

You would be absolutely amazed at the reaction of some of the head waiters and matre' de's when they find out you're a repeat customer - and one that remembers who is who!

We received even better service on our B2B when they realized we really were with them for another week. The staff was much more relaxed, talkative, friendly with us during the second week - we managed to follow our wait staff to their new dining room.

Albuquerque, the head waiter mentioned in the previous post, was absolutely thrilled that we looked him up from 2 years ago and wanted to sit in his area again. We were treated like royalty.

So basically, be very open, friendly and complimentary to the last cruise and watch what happens. I'll bet you'll be treated even better - like old friends.

In fact, I would look him up no matter where he is and talk to him to be seated in his "best area".

BTW, we do always tell them when we give them the envelopes that this is a little bit extra - so far this has conveyed the message that the auto-tip is in place and they don't have to turn the tip into the tip pool.

Either have I...(I don't remember ever seeing these envelopes being opened in front of guests.) But, when my DH turned around, as we were walking towards our table.....he saw that the envelope had been opened, as we were walking away and it was in the MD's hands.

It would have been nice of the MD to walk over to our table and acknowledge the gift. He and I had a few friendly encounters, while we were in the dining room and it just felt strange that he ignored me then!

It was the last night, he was not going to see us the next day.....

Might be time for some Monopoly money....

Auto tips go straight into the Princess 'tipping pool' for that cruise, I call it the Automatic Wage Subsidy, because that is in fact what it is used for to subside the poor wages. If you remove your auto top or lower it, any cash tip you give to staff has to be turned in to the company for inclusion in the 'pool.' Failure to turn in the tip renders the member liable for dismissal.

If you keep your $10 per person per day auto tip on, the staff member is able to keep any extra you give him/her.

Lists of pax who have removed or lowered their 'auto tip' on a cruise are provided to your cabin steward and dining room assigned waiter, so they know what is going on. Pretty rude I reckon, tipping is a private issue. Although I suppose the reason they know is so they know whether they can retain any additional tip or turn it in.:cool:

Archived