Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

See, people like different things. I would very much dislike being announced and escourted to my stateroom. I know the way to my cabin. I study the plans of a ship that is new to me for weeks before I arrive. And I've never much been the type that likes people waiting on me and doing stuff for me that I'm able to do myself.

Sounds like the Windjammer was made just for you. In the W.J. everyone can serve themselves and there will be no people waiting on you.

Sounds like the Windjammer was made just for you. In the W.J. everyone can serve themselves and there will be no people waiting on you.

You are correct... the Windjammer was made for me and you can serve yourself. I love eating in there. As for the comment that there will be no one waiting on you.... have you ever been in the Windjammer? We have had more attention paid to us in there during dinner than we we did in the dining room on Mariner.

Personally, I love formal nights (my husband does also)..... so I hope that Royal Caribbean never does away with them.

To each his own, and if you don't like how one cruise line does it, then each person should search for the line that fits what they want. Good luck...

"having just returned from Venice, I've noticed all the young girls were in jeans, not dresses. "

Yes, perhaps we should look to Brittney to set our mode of dress.

BTW, I'm not even going to go there regarding looking at the young ladies.

You are correct... the Windjammer was made for me and you can serve yourself. I love eating in there. As for the comment that there will be no one waiting on you.... have you ever been in the Windjammer? We have had more attention paid to us in there during dinner than we we did in the dining room on Mariner.

Yes, we have been to the W.J. several times for lunch and breakfast. Only twice for dinner, because an excursion was late and we did not have time to don the proper apparel. And we would have been more than 15 minutes late for dinner. They do clear your dishes and get refills for you in the W.J. and they do provide very good service.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I just want to say that I am 100% against this and I would not sail with RCI if they got rid of formal night. What other chance do we get to dress up like this? I

It depends on each individual's situation and preferences.

Personally, I have been to 3 weddings, 2 formal Knights of Columbus events as well as 4 formal nights on our RCI B to B cruise this year. My tux is wearing out....however I know my DW could stand another formal night or two before the year is through. ;)

I personally wish a post like this one could be pulled by the moderators. When a topic is hashed out over and over it just takes up space.

I know people don't have to respond but its hard not to. Most CC posters are passionate about their opinions.

This is my reponse every time.

In my opiion one of the biggest reasons to keep formal nights is that our society has become so casual that people do not alter their mode of dress for any occasion.

The children today do not have a clue that certain occasions require a dressier attire.

Lets preserve a tradition that makes the night special. For us its not anywhere close to our nights out at home so we think its special.

I personally wish a post like this one could be pulled by the moderators. When a topic is hashed out over and over it just takes up space.

I know people don't have to respond but its hard not to. Most CC posters are passionate about their opinions.

In my opiion one of the biggest reasons to keep formal nights is that our society has become so casual that people do not alter their mode of dress for any occasion.

The children today do not have a clue that certain occasions require a dressier attire.

Lets preserve a tradition that makes the night special. For us its not anywhere close to our nights out at home so we think its special.

Well said!:)

You have put this view across very good and hope some people take note of what you have said.

I vote for formal nights. If you don't like it. Stay home.

That is so funny. I bet everyone who doesn't like it just got on the phone with RCI to cancel their reservations. You just solved a problem that has raged on for years. Good job!

Far better to keep this one going than start a new one that takes up more space. And as you stated, you will feel the need to respond to it.

So let me see if I understand you argument here. Life has become way too casual so where better to reverse that trend than when you are on vacation? I don't think so.

Lighten up... no one is purposely trying to ruin your cruise by opting out of formal night...

It's not personal... no is sitting at home thinking: "I could really ruin someone's cruise by dressing in khakis for formal night"...

BTW, it's not a rule, it's a suggestion... we've been over this and over this and over this...

I think it's really sad that someone dressed in khakis has the power to ruin formal night... that's an awful lot of power to give to someone you don't even know and will likely never encounter again...

Enjoy your cruise, enjoy your formal night... but don't let someone in khakis "ruin" it for you... life's too short!

Have to agree. We love the formal nights, I wish everyone would participate, however we don't get upset if there are other pax in the dining room not dressed for it. No big deal here. Doesn't bother me a bit.

And as to those heads that you are turning, how do you know that folks who's heads are spinning don't think you look gaudy and comical in your manner of dress just as you do about those folks who you are "goofing" on while parked on the sofa? I've seem some people supposedly dressed formally who look more like a halloween joke.

No worries. We're equal-opportunity goofers.

And y'all can spare me the self-righteousness. When we were cruising a few weeks ago, we saw an older gentlemen walk by in the worst piece you've ever seen... the man and I held our breath and just smiled at each other when he passed... then another old fellow, seated with his wife nearby, said really loud "did you get a load of that guy's wig?"

So come on. Everyone does it. How can you not be amused by bad taste on a cruise ship, where you literally do get "all kinds." And I do consider wearing a sun dress on formal night, IN the dining room, to be in poor taste. If that makes me an awful person, so be it.

And y'all can spare me the self-righteousness. When we were cruising a few weeks ago, we saw an older gentlemen walk by in the worst piece you've ever seen... the man and I held our breath and just smiled at each other when he passed... then another old fellow, seated with his wife nearby, said really loud "did you get a load of that guy's wig?"

So come on. Everyone does it. How can you not be amused by bad taste on a cruise ship, where you literally do get "all kinds." And I do consider wearing a sun dress on formal night, IN the dining room, to be in poor taste. If that makes me an awful person, so be it.

No, I don't think that you are an awful person. You made be laugh this morning!:)

Sometimes the people we laugh at are laughing at us and the people we repect, repect us

Archived