Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

I see your Cruises are with RCI & am I aware of the dumbing down of standards on formal nights, brought about by people like you. I was on Celebrity Galaxy recently & witnessed guys in Very Smart Casual turned away from the Main DR because they were not wearing a jacket, on formal nights, never mind a Tux. I have to say this was the first time I've seen this in many years, & a big yes to Celebrity for their stance. Formal Nights on cruises were always part of the event for most people & that's the reason they don't book Easycruise or some of the other "Casual" lines. The problem with "Smart Casual" is that, this also gets dumbed down. The NCL ship I was on last year, looked as if some passengers came straight from a building site.

What is 'very smart casual', which sounds like an oxymoron, but I am being serious. If someone goes to a formal dinner without a jacket, how can that be considered 'very smart'?

I have to confess that I don't have a clue as to the meanings of, casual, smart casual, resort casual, etc. I understand black tie, white tie, business suit, etc., plus no jeans, no shorts, but then I get lost.

I agree with you...I enjoy formal nights and wish the dress code was more strictly enforced. Cruise NCL if you want slob dress.................

And if you want the dress code to be more stricly enforced why don't you cruise Celebrity?

Show me where it is a rule where you may be turned away from the dining room if you are not dressed properly on formal night, other that wearing a bathing suit.

It's just arguing over semantics. Some people were brought up to be respectful, and feel that if a certain dress is requested, you honor that request. If you decided to host a fancy dinner party and requested formal attire, would you turn away a guest who showed up in jeans? Probably not, but you might consider it rude. Have you ever stopped at a "free" charity car wash, with a "suggested" donation? You could ignore the suggestion and just get a free car wash, if that's the kind of person you are . . . Suggested does not really mean, "do whatever you want."

I'm not so hung up on it myself, and don't really care what other people wear, but I do think those who totally disregard the suggested dress have the wrong attitude. On the other hand, if it's someone who just didn't have anything "formal" to bring or are new cruisers who didn't realize they needed to pack formalwear, but they make their best effort to dress nicely on the formal nights, I think they should come to the dining room and enjoy. And since I have no way of knowing the circumstances or motivation of each person on the ship, I'll just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not give it a second thought, if I see someone dressed more casually on formal night.

For those of you who insist on formal attire worn in the dining room on formal night?????

What do you consider acceptable??? What is the bare minimum that you find acceptable???

Ladies: What do you consider a "cocktail" dress???

It occurs to me (based on some of the responses here) that what I wear for formal night probably wouldn't pass inspection with many of you...

Hmmmm...Im just curious, since you said that......what do you wear on Formal nights (that you think wouldnt pass inspection to some on this thread) ?

With the airline restrictions on suitcase weights and increasing age, my husband refuses to dress up for formal nights. He won't even discuss it. As a result when we think of our next cruise, Oceania with its relaxed dress code is likely our choice.

Hmmmm...Im just curious, since you said that......what do you wear on Formal nights (that you think wouldnt pass inspection to some on this thread) ?

I'm also curious.

I have a very basic black cocktail dress. Totally no frills. It's cheap and wrinkle-proof. With it I wear black suede sandals with a low heel (I can't wear high heels) and add a scarf or blazer to dress it up - my fave is a multi-colored sparkly scarf I picked up for NYE one year. It's far from 'formal' but it's dressed-up for me and I've blended ok so far.

I think I meet minimum requirements but I also get the feeling that many on this board would very much look down on me. "Gown" is not something that fits with me. It's beyond my limits. I'm simply never going to be an elegant lady (being a tshirt and jeans girl) so I play along in a way that fits the suggestion and allows me to be comfortable with who I am.

For the phrase "you will need" ... I interpret this to mean that IF I choose to participate in formal night, I should be wearing a cocktail dress. Sorry, but I don't wear a cocktail dress to formal night. Prom for me was 20+ years ago, I no longer feel the need to fit in with jocks and cheerleaders with low self-esteem and no brains.

What I wear to formal night is the following:

A knee length black skirt made of that slinky type material that doesn't wrinkle and a dressy top, usually made of satin or something that glitters. I put on some "bling" and heels and I'm off to the dining room for my lobster tail.

And yes, I get the feeling that my dress would be offensive to some of you but guess what??? I really don't care because I will never see you again and if someone who doesn't know me is going to judge me by my outfit... well, as I said before... I'm done with high school and never really felt the need to fit in with your type of people anyway.

Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind.:)

What is 'very smart casual', which sounds like an oxymoron, but I am being serious. If someone goes to a formal dinner without a jacket, how can that be considered 'very smart'?

I have to confess that I don't have a clue as to the meanings of, casual, smart casual, resort casual, etc. I understand black tie, white tie, business suit, etc., plus no jeans, no shorts, but then I get lost.

I applied "Very" to the smart casual comment because the guy in question had made an effort. Black evening shirt (open neck,no tie) black pants & shoes, No jacket & was still turned away. A little different to the work shirt & jeans some people consider "Smart Casual"

For the phrase "you will need" ... I interpret this to mean that IF I choose to participate in formal night, I should be wearing a cocktail dress. Sorry, but I don't wear a cocktail dress to formal night. Prom for me was 20+ years ago, I no longer feel the need to fit in with jocks and cheerleaders with low self-esteem and no brains.

A knee length black skirt made of that slinky type material that doesn't wrinkle and a dressy top, usually made of satin or something that glitters. I put on some "bling" and heels and I'm off to the dining room for my lobster tail.

And yes, I get the feeling that my dress would be offensive to some of you but guess what??? I really don't care because I will never see you again and if someone who doesn't know me is going to judge me by my outfit... well, as I said before... I'm done with high school and never really felt the need to fit in with your type of people anyway.

Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind.

Wow, having said all that, I admit I never dress up for OTHER people, I dress for myself and what husband/BF/SO or man does not appreciate a woman dressed up? I dont have the time to care what others think, I go by the "look good feel good rule" (for myself) I dont care what others wear unless they stand so far out in a crowd that it is just plain disrespect. From your description Im sure you blend in fine..but sounds like you put on a skirt just for a lobster tail :rolleyes:

I dont know what thats about, I eat it every week, no big deal. Now it is Fishermans Platter anyway with a lobster tail you can barely find, no excitement there.

Do you really think that people that enjoy getting dressed up formal have no self esteem and no brains??

Being comfortable with yourself is important....

:D

I applied "Very" to the smart casual comment because the guy in question had made an effort. Black evening shirt (open neck,no tie) black pants & shoes, No jacket & was still turned away. A little different to the work shirt & jeans some people consider "Smart Casual"

:eek:

A work shirt and jeans can not be classified as casual or smart casual....I dont care what part of the country or world you live in.

You just gave m e the "Lumberjack" visual! :D :rolleyes: :) LOL

My family LOVES formal nights and would hate to see them stopped. I think we would stop sailing with RCCL and find another line that had them. As others have said, there are many options for those who don't like dressing formal. Friends of ours who have been crusing forever never do any formal nights, and they always have a great time. Just my little ole 2 cents!

It's just arguing over semantics. Some people were brought up to be respectful, and feel that if a certain dress is requested, you honor that request. If you decided to host a fancy dinner party and requested formal attire, would you turn away a guest who showed up in jeans? Probably not, but you might consider it rude. Have you ever stopped at a "free" charity car wash, with a "suggested" donation? You could ignore the suggestion and just get a free car wash, if that's the kind of person you are . . . Suggested does not really mean, "do whatever you want."

I'm not so hung up on it myself, and don't really care what other people wear, but I do think those who totally disregard the suggested dress have the wrong attitude. On the other hand, if it's someone who just didn't have anything "formal" to bring or are new cruisers who didn't realize they needed to pack formalwear, but they make their best effort to dress nicely on the formal nights, I think they should come to the dining room and enjoy. And since I have no way of knowing the circumstances or motivation of each person on the ship, I'll just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not give it a second thought, if I see someone dressed more casually on formal night.

Actually, if I hosted a formal party I would make it know it was mandatory, and you would not be let in if not properly dressed.

How is it rude that someone chooses not to dress formally on formal night on the ship. It is not a requirement. Formal night is an event, and you get to dress up if you wish. there is nothing that says don't show up if not dressed properly. there are few people who actually don't get dressed up and come to the dining room, the others are usually too embarressed, or think they should not be there. when we have someone at our table who says they are not coming due to not bringing the attire, we encourage them to come any way. My gosh its not the end of the world here.

I do not want to get rid of the formal night any more than you do. I will dress formally even if there is not one.

Still reading this thread with interest. I thought I would interject within the wording department a discussion point:

Celebrity Cruise Lines, a "branch" of Royal Caribbean, has this statement with regard to the dining room:

Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience [sic] and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

This wording appears to be quite firm in comparison to Royal Caribbean's "can be read two ways" statements. It definitely removes some ambiguity.

With regard to that, and knowing they're the same company I present this stream of thought. I haven't been cruising THAT much, I started in 2004. I know this general discussion has been brewing since before then. I can imagine that Royal Caribbean's staff has already had meetings to address the "Formal Night" issue and rewording any websites/documentation. I can imagine that they've gone over the pluses/minuses of doing this. I can imagine that they've thought of enforcing a strict dress code. The result is, three years later, there has been no change.

When you see their marketing, it is not formal night, it's the ships and the adventure that they are selling. There are many aspects to a cruise that some people latch onto and enjoy. For some, that may be formal night. For others, that's the least of their concerns. They've appealed to both markets by keeping the status quo. They're not enforcing a dress code in the dining rooms because that would lower their repeat cruisers. It serves their purpose while still offering formal nights to those that want them.

My conclusion is this, they make more money this way. They would rather have more passengers aboard than less. They would rather have repeat cruisers. They appeal to the first time cruiser and try to get them hooked. They're not going to drop them because it is a revenue generator. They'll suggest it because they hope to sell a tuxedo rental or photo. But they're not going to enforce it because it would reduce repeat cruisers, thus reducing future revenue.

If formal night participation by fellow cruisers is a number one requirement for you as a passenger, may I suggest you look into the reasons why you cruise Royal Caribbean beyond formal nights? Those reasons may still point you at the Royal Caribbean product. They've done a good job at trying to please all cruisers. Be glad that they offer you more diverse choices instead of being upset about one.

Okay. Two different issues going on here. Hopefully I can help clarify a bit:

Actually, what you describe here sounds very much like cocktail wear. Granted, it's not a dress, it's separates -- and yes, some people will be more formally dressed. "Cocktail" attire for ladies is typically slightly less formal than some other types of evening wear. But the mental picture I'm getting from your description is 100% appropriate for formal night.

Sorry, but I don't wear a cocktail dress to formal night. Prom for me was 20+ years ago, I no longer feel the need to fit in with jocks and cheerleaders with low self-esteem and no brains. I'm done with high school and never really felt the need to fit in with your type of people anyway.

Okay, Amy darlin' . . . this just doesn't sound like you. You're a familiar face to me on these boards, and I'm choosing to believe that you didn't really mean this the way that it sounds. To me, this seems to imply that those of us who choose to dress "black tie" (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "Prom" -- tuxedos and usually floor-length gowns, right?) have low self-esteem and no brains. And yes, I find that offensive. :o

But, as I said earlier, I don't really believe that you meant to make such a judgmental statement. I'm not sure what exactly you meant by "your type of people," but a phrase like that just screams prejudice. And I think you're better than that. :)

:D

:eek:

A work shirt and jeans can not be classified as casual or smart casual....I dont care what part of the country or world you live in.

You just gave m e the "Lumberjack" visual! :D :rolleyes: :) LOL

Work shirt and jeans is casual here!

Maybe not 'resort casual', however. :rolleyes:

..but sounds like you put on a skirt just for a lobster tail :rolleyes:

um, so? anything wrong with that?? don't think they have em in the buffet or room svc. what other choices?

I dont know what thats about, I eat it every week, no big deal.
I live quite inland so no fresh lobster here. Might not be a big deal to you but it's still a delicacy for me. I will not pass up the opportunity for lobster tails. yes, plural. dress up, chow down. :eek:

Actually, if I hosted a formal party I would make it know it was mandatory, and you would not be let in if not properly dressed.

Maybe you would, but most would not. There are many times that we make "suggestions" or "requests" that we expect others to honor. If it's a pot-luck supper and you request that people bring a dish, it would be somewhat rude to ignore that request, but you're not likely to be kicked out. I'm just trying to point out that some people are too hung up on semantics of the word "suggestion." Yes, that means it is not absolutely required, but ignoring the suggestion can still be considered rude.

Yet, I, like you, would do the same thing if I were dining with someone who said they might skip formal night, because they didn't have appropriate attire. I would tell them to just come and enjoy, and we wouldn't mind a bit.

I'd feel the same way in the pot-luck example, if someone told me they weren't coming, because they were so busy that they wouldn't have time to get a dish together. I'd say come anyway. And if someone else showed up without a dish, just because they didn't want to bring anything, that would be a rude attitude, but I wouldn't turn them away, either. In fact, I wouldn't quiz them about why they didn't bring anything, but would just give the benefit of the doubt that they had a good reason.

Retiree.....

It is not on the 'room service' menu and it will not come up on your television screen, but if you call for room service during regular scheduled dining room hours, you can have the exact same dinner you have in the DR.......... delivered to your Cabin.

Happy Dining!

The day they stop the formal night's will be the day I stop cruising! There are "other" ships that offer "free-style" crusing that you might want to check. They may have a nacho cheese fountain in the center of the dining room as well. I think that RCCL does a great job with the different dining options on formal nights.

Archived