Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

(btw)

MakinGold.....I applaud those comments, agree 1,000%

Retiree, I beleive in tolerance and truth is...formal, casual, smart casual is understood differently in various parts of the country and world, Im thinking maybe RCI views are on par here, hence they only "suggest" certain attire. I haved heard the most beautiful cruises are European, even the kids and teens are dressed to the nines...I still agree with those that enjoy formal night and want formal night & hey...on casual nights on MY upcoming cruise...I will dress smart casual and look glamorous every night, & on formal night(s) we will be happy to "entertain" those that enjoy the view :)

(the lobster on board is not 'fresh fish', it is previously frozen)

event.png

For those of you who enjoy dressing up, go for it!

I would like to see a more acceptable alternative for those of us who do not enjoy the dress up event. I would like a true dining room dining experience without pantyhose or ties. Don't tell me I don't have to wear pantyhose -- I respect my fellow paxs enough not to use a pick-and-choose formal definition. We generally do room service or Windjammer -- neither have the quality and/or level service we receive in the dining room.

For those of you who enjoy dressing up, go for it!

I would like to see a more acceptable alternative for those of us who do not enjoy the dress up event. I would like a true dining room dining experience without pantyhose or ties. Don't tell me I don't have to wear pantyhose -- I respect my fellow paxs enough not to use a pick-and-choose formal definition. We generally do room service or Windjammer -- neither have the quality and/or level service we receive in the dining room.

On the positive side you do get the benefit of an extra hour to kill. :D

jc

I don't get it either. On my only Celebrity cruise last year one fellow, seated at the adjoining table, showed up in jeans and a tee shirt in the dining room. No problem so far as being admitted etc. So, not sure where the comparison comes from. Celebrity certainly does not enforce a dress code any more than any other line to the best of my knowledge - regardless of what is stated on their web site.

For those who "don't get it" regarding dress codes, formal nights etc at this stage of life (where one is old enough to read and respond to these messages) no amount of explanation or rebuttal will serve to change their minds. So, relax, enjoy the cruise & hope you never get an invitation to a formal dinner from the company CEO.

Maybe you would, but most would not. There are many times that we make "suggestions" or "requests" that we expect others to honor. If it's a pot-luck supper and you request that people bring a dish, it would be somewhat rude to ignore that request, but you're not likely to be kicked out. I'm just trying to point out that some people are too hung up on semantics of the word "suggestion." Yes, that means it is not absolutely required, but ignoring the suggestion can still be considered rude.

Yet, I, like you, would do the same thing if I were dining with someone who said they might skip formal night, because they didn't have appropriate attire. I would tell them to just come and enjoy, and we wouldn't mind a bit.

I'd feel the same way in the pot-luck example, if someone told me they weren't coming, because they were so busy that they wouldn't have time to get a dish together. I'd say come anyway. And if someone else showed up without a dish, just because they didn't want to bring anything, that would be a rude attitude, but I wouldn't turn them away, either. In fact, I wouldn't quiz them about why they didn't bring anything, but would just give the benefit of the doubt that they had a good reason.

How do you figure it is rude to not dress up on formal night. Rude to who?? Do you really think RCI cares?? Do you think the wait staff cares??

you guys are way overboard with this proper etiquitte crap.

How do you figure it is rude to not dress up on formal night. Rude to who?? Do you really think RCI cares?? Do you think the wait staff cares??

Could say the same about the "I'll dress anyway I want crap"

I believe the expression "etiquette crap" says it all. (Slurp, Belch, "You gonna eat that?") As previously stated, if it needs to be explained...it is a waste of time.

Well, I went to look up rude for you in my dictionary, and the first definition fit pretty well.

"discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way"

So, if someone suggests a certain attire for an occasion, I do think honoring that suggestion is the courteous and polite thing to do. If you deliberately ignore that suggestion, it would fit the definition of rude.

Of course, as I said, it doesn't really bother me, but I don't think those who call it rude are necessarily wrong.

Well, I went to look up rude for you in my dictionary, and the first definition fit pretty well.

"discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way"

So, if someone suggests a certain attire for an occasion, I do think honoring that suggestion is the courteous and polite thing to do. If you deliberately ignore that suggestion, it would fit the definition of rude.

Of course, as I said, it doesn't really bother me, but I don't think those who call it rude are necessarily wrong.[/quote

Ok, So who are they being rude to?? Royal Caribbean?? I certainly do not take it as being rude to me, as I am not the one suggesting it, since I am not the host, or provider of service as some put it. If you choose not to dress formally, Do you think RC cares . If you say it does not bother you, then why even bring the rude definition stuff up. RC must not think it is rude, or they would change the policy. Does it really matter. The OP wanted to know who wants to get rid of formal nights. My answer is No.

"With the airline restrictions on suitcase weights..."

Didn't realize at first that shorts = 1/2 half the weight of long pants. Now I get it.

Yes and jeans are twice as heavy as Dockers or about the same weight as a good light weight suit.

P.S. if you live in the Tampa area, I bet you don't fly to too many cruises.

I totally disagree with you BrianTom. If you don't care for dressing up for formal nights, put your favorite shorts & T on and head up to the poolside buffet or one of the other eateries onboard. But don't try to abolish a time-honored tradition that so many of us really enjoy.

Enough said.

Annie

I totally disagree with you BrianTom. If you don't care for dressing up for formal nights, put your favorite shorts & T on and head up to the poolside buffet or one of the other eateries onboard. But don't try to abolish a time-honored tradition that so many of us really enjoy.

Enough said.

Annie

There IS no tradition of middle-class people (the typical RCI cruiser) dressing for dinner. If you're thinking of the dining room on the Titanic, those were the wealthy and privileged. Their counterparts today are sailing the premium lines -- which in many cases, have dropped formal dining.

There IS no tradition of middle-class people (the typical RCI cruiser) dressing for dinner. If you're thinking of the dining room on the Titanic, those were the wealthy and privileged. Their counterparts today are sailing the premium lines -- which in many cases, have dropped formal dining.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here . . . you're saying that it can't be called tradition if it doesn't go back 90+ years? :confused:

True, on the luxury ocean liners of the early 20th century (e.g. Titanic), only the first class passengers wore formal attire for dinner. Still, the tradition (yes, I believe the word applies here) of mainstream cruise lines having formal dinners dates back a few decades, in fact, before many of today's cruisers were even born. IMHO that qualifies as both "time-honored" and "tradition." :)

I'm not sure I follow your logic here . . . you're saying that it can't be called tradition if it doesn't go back 90+ years? :confused:

True' date=' on the luxury ocean liners of the early 20th century (e.g. Titanic), only the first class passengers wore formal attire for dinner. Still, the tradition (yes, I believe the word applies here) of mainstream cruise lines having formal dinners dates back a few decades, in fact, before many of today's cruisers were even born. IMHO that qualifies as both "time-honored" and "tradition." :)[/font']

I think you've explained it quite well. Plus, I haven't taken a count on the posts pro and con, but at a glance it seems that more people are in favor of keeping formal nights than those that aren't.

One more thing, people who don't want formal nights have some options. If formal nights were abolished, the ones who ENJOY them would have no choice.

I have to get my vote in ...... because I know the cruiselines would change the enitre tradition because of this one thread.....

I VOTE TO KEEP THE FORMAL NIGHTS ON CRUISE SHIPS.

Thank you

I think I saw some fishing boats that would probably let you dine with them...

Gotta love fashion threads....they keep goinggg and goingggggg and goinggggg lol the entertainment that keeps giving! LMAO

I keep reading this quote,"overboard with proper ettiquette crap"........... What is wrong with being ON BOARD :rolleyes: and knowing how and enjoying being appropriately dressed in the DR?

I dont know if the poster is a parent BUT, a statement like that is reason #1 kids of today (NOT MINE!!) have NO RESPECT, it is appalling. How are our future generations being raised if that is what they are told......"do what you want- no respect needed"...sheesh.....It is important to know and to be able to adapt and act appropriately in different situations....

Also to the poster who mentioned middle-class.......a family of 4 on a 12night sail for over 10K, plus all other expenses.... is that middle class? :rolleyes:

Archived