Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

Gotta love fashion threads....they keep goinggg and goingggggg and goinggggg lol the entertainment that keeps giving! LMAO

Isn't it funny? When are folks going to learn that these types of threads have been on the boards for years and it's not going to change a persons mind but as you state it does provide a good bit of entertainment.

On post 654:

And if you want the dress code to be more stricly enforced why don't you cruise Celebrity?

I assume "the dress code" was referring to RCI's, since this discussion is about RCI on the RCI boards.

That was my response to this post......

Originally Posted by madhatter's wife

I agree with you...I enjoy formal nights and wish the dress code was more strictly enforced. Cruise NCL if you want slob dress.................

My point was if she is unhappy with RCI's policies then SHE should find another cruise line if she wants a more strictly enforced dress code instead of suggesting that those of us who are perfectly happy with the way things are on RCI go some place else.

This is a very good point. but...

You can always dress as nicely as you wish!

True, but you could also dress as nicely as you wish at Applebee's. There's a difference between dressing nicely just for yourself and having a formal "occasion" where everyone (or most of the people, anyway) are dressed up.

That's the same reason that, for some people who don't like formal night, saying "don't dress formally" might not satisfy them. Some people want the formal atmosphere; some people don't. They won't ever please everybody, but I think they try to provide a nice balance. On a week-long cruise, only 2 of 7 nights are formal, so the pax who want that get it. Those who don't want to dress formally are not turned away. If they just aren't comfortable going to the dining room informal on formal night, they have the options of casual buffet, room service or (on most ships) specialty restaurants.

Some people get upset when others suggest to pick a cruise line that doesn't have the formal nights, but really, with them trying to accommodate everyone's wishes and provide those options, if you're so against formal night that none of that is good enough for you, choosing another line is really the best option.

... if you're so against formal night that none of that is good enough for you, choosing another line is really the best option.

Not me, I play along. I cruise for the itinerary and go with whatever the deal is on that ship. I don't care what they do with formal night. I just like to stir the pot ;)

This leads me to believe that my "formal attire" is so offensive to some that I am being censored from the discussion :confused:

Amy, I don't think that's the case at all. Check out post #669.

EDIT: never mind. I just went back and saw that the post I referenced wasn't one of the ones that got poofed. I didn't read what you said after that, so I have no idea how it degenerated from there. I'm guessing that maybe you responded to somebody else who said basically the same thing as me, but didn't give you as much benefit of the doubt? :(

"There IS no tradition of middle-class people (the typical RCI cruiser) dressing for dinner."

Yes there is, ever since RCI has been sailing ships, their typical cruiser (of any so called "class") has been dressing for dinner.

That is right! How many naked people do you see in the dinning room? lol Sorry I had to do that. That is the first thing that came to my mind.

I have already responded to this thread WAY IN FAVOR OF FORMAL NIGHT!!!!! IT IS TRADITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well BrianTom, there you have it......you're in the minority by a wide margin. Any other bright ideas?

While the word minority may be apt, I still get the feeling that the still large one third of passengers represented here could care less for formal nights. Thirty-three percent of any group, even the small minority of passengers represented by Cruise Critic posters is still a considerable number. They may not all be calling for Formal Nights to be abolished, but it seems that there's a significant number that want the dining room as an option each evening without the fuss of formal wear getting in the way.

While the word minority may be apt, I still get the feeling that the still large one third of passengers represented here could care less for formal nights. Thirty-three percent of any group, even the small minority of passengers represented by Cruise Critic posters is still a considerable number. They may not all be calling for Formal Nights to be abolished, but it seems that there's a significant number that want the dining room as an option each evening without the fuss of formal wear getting in the way.

Well, when you put it that way, it does seem a bit unfair that those 33% of cruisers get their way 71% of the time on those 7-night cruises.

I think you should set up a proper poll and let the results decide.

A proper poll would require you to actually board several cruise ships to get a good sampling from a wide variety of types of passengers. The formatting of the questions would have to be done in such a way as not to sway their decision in one way or another. It would also require you to ask further questions to make sure they were not answering one way because that's the way they think others would. It would have to be completely and utterly neutral ... something a poll here could not accomplish.

A proper poll would require you to actually board several cruise ships to get a good sampling from a wide variety of types of passengers. The formatting of the questions would have to be done in such a way as not to sway their decision in one way or another. It would also require you to ask further questions to make sure they were not answering one way because that's the way they think others would. It would have to be completely and utterly neutral ... something a poll here could not accomplish.

Those are the least of the problems with a poll here. :D

jc

The following is from Cruise Critic ...

Royal Caribbean International

The Code: Royal Caribbean has formal, smart casual and casual nights. Formal attire includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women. Smart casual attire includes jackets and ties for men and dresses or pantsuits for women. Casual attire includes sport shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Three-, four- and five-night cruises have one formal night; 6- to 12-night cruises have two formal nights; and 13- and 14-night cruises have three formal nights.

Nightly Casual Option: The Windjammer cafe is the laid-back evening choice -- though it still has some restrictions: No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in the dining room. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

From the keyboard of a Royal Caribbean spokesperson: "As long as the jeans are tasteful with no blemishing, tears or mis-sizing, the guest will more than likely make it through the doors. In this day and age of fashion, there are designer jeans that are very expensive. As a contemporary cruise line, we will not limit our guests on their choice to put their best 'fashion foot' forward as long as it meets our basic standards below. The maitre d', however, does reserve the right to request that an inappropriately dressed guest change their attire before being seated."

Here is the link ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=545

"In this day and age of fashion, there are designer jeans that are very expensive." And a sucker is born every minute.

Oh boy, here we go again with the "expensive designer jeans" argument. Note closely that the word "jeans" is still there.

Having someone's name stitched across your butt shows your fashion good taste and the ability to pay lots of $$ for jeans. What are you paying for, the jeans or the designer's name? Please leave the price tag on so we can check.

There are two ladies in China, one sews on the Wrangler tag, the other the designer tag depending which box they pull the tags from.

Well, my only thought is the other percentage should recognize that it is unrealistic to expect that they get their way 100%.

Well, 100% get their own way when each wears what they want.

It's when some expect others to wear what they choose to wear, that the 100% figure declines rapidly.

There in lies the nub of the problem.

Archived