Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

Well, 100% get their own way when each wears what they want.

It's when some expect others to wear what they choose to wear, that the 100% figure declines rapidly.

There in lies the nub of the problem.

I guess it is sad that you don't see it as 100% get to choose what they want to wear.

I think most people want formal night. If people didn't like it, there would not be so many dressed to the hilt. People would dress like they do other nights, they know they can not be made to wear formal clothes if they do not want to. It is the suggested attire not mandatory.

I think the "traditionalists " should ease up. Although I favor formal nights, I think it will be a thing of the past before too long. The cruiselines have begun to relax dress code by allowing jeans in the dining room and I think this is just the beginning. Nothing wromg with jeans----having just returned from Venice, I've noticed all the young girls were in jeans, not dresses. Couldn't tell whether they were designer's or Levis' or Wranglers' or Timberland ( all probably from the same factory anyway).

I beleive if you want the formal attire atmosphere, you'll have to cruise on Silversea, Crystal, etc., not RCL , NCL or Carnival. Maybe Celebrity and Princess will hang on a little longer.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has not been around since the 21st?

Usually the way it goes....post~n~run after it gets heated lol

I cant believe there are 743 posts!!

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

ONE HEART ONE WAY

SIGMA KAPPA SORORITY MOM

and Proud Balcony Snob

Just Cant Wait to be Sailing.....

event.png

I haven't read this whole thread, but I just want to say that I am 100% against this and I would not sail with RCI if they got rid of formal night. What other chance do we get to dress up like this? I really look forward to formal nights, and I disagree with the OP that it's impossible to be too dressed up. If I were wearing a formal gown and everyone else were wearing jeans, I would feel very embarrassed and out of place. Formal night is one of the things I love about cruising. If you want to wear resort casual then go to a different dining venue on the ship or go to a land-based resort. Come on, it's not like it's every night. It's once or twice per cruise. You can still eat in the DR on the other nights if you want to wear resort casual clothes.

Well BrianTom, there you have it......you're in the minority by a wide margin. Any other bright ideas?

Give the now lurker a few weeks and he'll be back with another carefully worded post to restir the cauldron! Probably busy at his keyboard editing and adding to the germinating post as we write here!

Some folks just don't get it, and never, ever will!

Well, 100% get their own way when each wears what they want.

It's when some expect others to wear what they choose to wear, that the 100% figure declines rapidly.

There in lies the nub of the problem.

I ONLY EXPECT the guidelines OF THE HOST to be complied with. No more, no less! Again very, very simple. What "I" want is irrelevant!

I keep seeing this thread pop-up but I'll admittedly say I haven't cruised this line, so if a flame is in order so be it!

I personally think formal nights are excellent! Many people love this aspect of cruising so I see no reason to abolish it! It sounds like a crime!

I understand the whole thought about "I dress up all week why should I do it on vacation?," but it really is all about the mood and how people feel different! For one, two, or more nights, the women all look like a princess and they guys look like gentlemen! How is that bad? Most folks dress up so well--it's fun!

If you don't want to dress up then don't because it is your vacation and you paid for it, but remember that there are others that love it--and it has nothing to do with age, cruising experience or how much money you have-- it's an old world cruise experience, and no one should take that away.

Just my two cents... happy cruising to all!

VB1

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has not been around since the 21st?

Yes, maybe he's on a cruise or gave up his fight. Of course he partially won his battle by starting this never-ending thread! Of the 154 posts he's made roughly 80 are on this thread. As someone said, he'll be back to stir it up again - either as briantom or using another name. Heck, he may be with us still using a different name for all we know.

I still say keep the formal nights. If the anti-formal folks can't be satisfied with 5 of 7 nights not being formal, tough!

I love formal nights... the fiance and I dress to impress each other and we end up turning a lot of other heads as well. However, the best part of formal night is parking it on a sofa in the Centrum and privately goofing on the gals in sundresses and guys in button-up plaid shirts who walk by. We don't mind when people don't dress up... and we find those who half a$$ it to be even more humorous.

This whole thing is a non-issue, anyway. RCI isn't going to abolish formal nights no matter what, so get over it.

You are correct. It is a non-issue because formal night will neither be abolished nor will it be enforced. So, maybe everyone should get over it.

And as to those heads that you are turning, how do you know that folks who's heads are spinning don't think you look gaudy and comical in your manner of dress just as you do about those folks who you are "goofing" on while parked on the sofa? I've seem some people supposedly dressed formally who look more like a halloween joke.

Good Morning all,

When my DW and I went on our first cruise on a lark in 1987 we didn't much like it. (cruiseline omitted)

But in 1996 we went on another cruise, again on a lark. We switched to RCCL at the suggestion of a great TA. She had interviewed us for about 30 minutes, as we wanted a vacation and didn't know what we wanted to do. We went on RCCL and had a blast. We enjoyed the formal nights as a chance to dress up. We don't do that very often.

We experinced a level of service we didn't know excisted. We were announced and taken to our stateroom...a tradition that has sadly fallen by the wayside. My wife works very hard..a part time bookkeeping job, and a full time job running our household and raising me and our daughter, I wanted a vacation where she is treated like the Queen she is.

Formal nights are just part of the overall tradition of crusing. So I guess some would call us "traditionalist", but we can change with the times. We wouldn't stop cruising with a line we like just because "formal" nights went away, but would in all honesty look for a more "traditional line".

Just my simple opinion.

Billy

We experinced a level of service we didn't know excisted. We were announced and taken to our stateroom...a tradition that has sadly fallen by the wayside.

Billy

See, people like different things. I would very much dislike being announced and escourted to my stateroom. I know the way to my cabin. I study the plans of a ship that is new to me for weeks before I arrive. And I've never much been the type that likes people waiting on me and doing stuff for me that I'm able to do myself.

What is number 3? I don't have the contract here. I've always been impressed with the section that states the cruise line makes no warrenty as to the sea worthiness of its ships. After that, what more is there to say??

You are on the right track :D. #3 is "No undertaking or warranty shall be given or shall be implied as to the seaworthiness, fitness or condition of the Vessel or any food or drink supplied on board".

This little gem is a holdover from the 19th century. :)

Read that sentence again ... count the 'I's'... the first one is very important.

I will repost since the original was removed.

I ONLY EXPECT the guidelines OF THE HOST to be complied with. No more, no less! Again very, very simple. What "I" personally want is irrelevant!

Thenk yew!

See, people like different things. I would very much dislike being announced and escourted to my stateroom. I know the way to my cabin. I study the plans of a ship that is new to me for weeks before I arrive. And I've never much been the type that likes people waiting on me and doing stuff for me that I'm able to do myself.

Me too!

Wow....I can hardly believe that this thread is still going....and that I am contributing to its longevity! ARGH!

I completely agree!

Archived