Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

Now finally we are getting somewhere! I knew if I hung with you we could achieve a breakthrough! The issue isn't formal night per se, but the fact that your wife wants to participate and you are being bullied by your wife into acting like an adult and participating too. I do feel your pain. :( I hope you make better decisions next time you are seeking a spouse. :D ;)

jc

It did sound a bit like he might have chosen one one of those wives. Using her assets as a behavior modification technique. I have heard that it can lead to a very cranky hubby before he is fully trained. :D

Now finally we are getting somewhere! I knew if I hung with you we could achieve a breakthrough! The issue isn't formal night per se, but the fact that your wife wants to participate and you are being bullied by your wife into acting like an adult and participating too. I do feel your pain. :( I hope you make better decisions next time you are seeking a spouse. :D ;)

jc

I think you are totally wrong on that line of thinking.

It did sound a bit like he might have chosen one one of those wives. Using her assets as a behavior modification technique. I have heard that it can lead to a very cranky hubby before he is fully trained. :D

I hear you. I have been in training for almost 27 years, and I am actually going to a costume party in costume Saturday night. I usually, try to find a reason to avoid going, and this one I actually promoted. I would guess I am up to about the marriage equivalent of 5th grade.:D Although she might only credit me for 3rd grade or so.;)

jc

I do enjoy formal nights, but I am so glad that I will be on NCL for my next cruise. I was able to drastically cut down on the amount of luggage I need to bring. :)

We are going to take it easy on our honeymoon after all the wedding stress and relax and enjoy Hawaii. We love that we will have tons of options on the ship to choose from without having to dress to the nines. ;) We won't be "banished" to just the buffet - ugh!

Don't get me wrong, we're still bringing nice clothes or "country club attire", but no fancy dresses to get wrinkled, no suits, extra shoes, etc.

Even though I enjoy them, a small portion of me does feel that formal nights are somewhat phony. People talk about the ambiance of the dining room, and how the nicely the staff are dressed, etc. Why would the same venue allow you in for breakfast or lunch wearing something like shorts and a t-shirt, but then all of the sudden later that night you are required to wear a tux?

And note I said, I do enjoy formal nights (sometimes). I just feel it's nice to have a choice which is why, after 2 RCI cruises, I'm trying my first NCL cruise.

RachieLnn, if you are going on NCL's newer ships (Pearl or Jewel) you will really like their dinner and dress policy.

I agree - let those who WANT to dress up do so, and let those of us who want to be comfortable and casual do the same without raised eyebrows.

The system is already designed to accomodate your desire. On the two formal nights those who want to dress like they're going to their local restaurant franchise can eat in the Windjammer. No raised eyebrows.

Jimmers:)

I hear you. I have been in training for almost 27 years, and I am actually going to a costume party in costume Saturday night. I usually, try to find a reason to avoid going, and this one I actually promoted. I would guess I am up to about the marriage equivalent of 5th grade.:D Although she might only credit me for 3rd grade or so.;)

jc

I thought I had noticed a bit of mellowing in your recent posts. A bit less cranky. :D :D :D BTW, do we get to know what you are going to be?

Hey, on behalf of all wives everywhere - it is implied when you marry us that all clothing decisions by you (male spouse) are to be approved by us (female spouse). Just as all electronic purchases are to be approved by you. :D

Regardless of your opinion, it would be very hard to disprove this theory.

jc

I'm with you buddy! My costume this year is an orange shirt that says "I don't do costumes"

Aubie

I do not like formal night. I will agree people do look nice all dressed up, but I hate dressing up. It is true that bringing formal clothes adds one more suitcase (for the four of us). So for our next cruise we will be eating in the windjammer.

jc

Tranquil Waters, if your reluctance to go to a costume party is about dressing up in a costume, maybe you can relate to why I don't like formal night.

Hmmm . . . . I think I need to let my wife know that, if I dress up for formal night, then "marital bliss" after dinner should be expected . . . :D

As long as you define bliss before you get dressed. It is all about expectations....

I thought I had noticed a bit of mellowing in your recent posts. A bit less cranky. :D BTW, do we get to know what you are going to be?

Well, I am a bit embarrassed to actually admit this in public, but the costume party was my idea. Actually, I am blaming the fact that we were drinking heavily at the time, but at our last party I said it would be fun to have a SNL party where everyone has to be their favorite SNL character. Like I said there was a lot of drinking going on, and so I am actually hosting this party. I will be wearing black leotards, black bike shorts, a black and yellow striped top, 2 banderleros of amunition, a sombrero, and a head piece with two slinky kind of things with a tennis ball on the end. You tell me what I am going to be.:confused:

Poor Aubie is stuck in second grade again!:D

jc

Tranquil Waters, if your reluctance to go to a costume party is about dressing up in a costume, maybe you can relate to why I don't like formal night.

Ooops, I don't think you mean me. I have nothing against dressing up in a costume. I am one of those in favor of dressing up - costume or formal. :D :D

As long as you define bliss before you get dressed. It is all about expectations....

True. Her definition of bliss might be sending me to the midnight buffet to bring back a couple choc. covered strawberries, while she gets into her jammies, and mine might be something else.

Well, I am a bit embarrassed to actually admit this in public, but the costume party was my idea. Actually, I am blaming the fact that we were drinking heavily at the time, but at our last party I said it would be fun to have a SNL party where everyone has to be their favorite SNL character. Like I said there was a lot of drinking going on, and so I am actually hosting this party. I will be wearing black leotards, black bike shorts, a black and yellow striped top, 2 banderleros of amunition, a sombrero, and a head piece with two slinky kind of things with a tennis ball on the end. You tell me what I am going to be.:confused:

jc

A Killer BEE.....!!!!

jc

Oh no! Not the dreaded SNL test. Where is my computer search geru when I need her...... I always had to get up too early for work - couldn't stay up late enough to watch SNL very often. :o Do I get some "cool" points for knowing what SNL stands for?

Archived