Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

You missed the point. My thread title had "all those in favor speak up", not "all those opposed speak up." ;)

So now you're saying you really don't want opinions, or just that you don't like the answers, or you can't take the truth?

Aubie

I would think that not observing formal night in the dining room would be more controversial than this thread!

Nope. Most people aren't terribly bothered by the fact that not everyone observes the formal attire. I think, out of some level of respect for others, you should make an attempt to dress up a little nicer than average on formal night, but if you're not into suits or tuxes, I don't really mind.

Of course, I'm not sure I'd call this thread controversial. It's just a topic about which not many people agree with you.

So now you're saying you really don't want opinions, or just that you don't like the answers, or you can't take the truth?

Aubie

No I am not saying I can not take the truth, I was looking for others with my own opinion about it to speak up.

Or, you could just go to the dining room in your "country club casual or better" and just not worry about the fact that most people are dressier than you, because most of them won't worry about what you're wearing.

As you can see, the majority of people actually like having formal night and will dress up for it, so maybe what is more fair is to let them have their dress up night. You are not forced into observing it.

I quite agree. We are not interested in formal dress so just go to the restaurant in smart casual and don't worry about it as we've paid for the facilities like everyone else.

So let those who like it continue to get their enjoyment although for some reason some of these people do not like it that everyone is not in formal attire. As a suggestion, why not ask for your preference along with table size and seating time then put like minded people together in the dining room.

Posted under the poll topic, and here as well:

Formal Night is a part of the sales package that draws some new and repeat cruisers to Royal Caribbean. It is also a revenue generator for the photo gallery, tuxedo rentals, blah blah... It's an extra thing on the cruise that doesn't cost them anything extra, it requires the passengers to spend money!

Given that these are things that increase money in Royal Caribbean's pockets ... why throw away possible revenue?

The only reason they would do away with formal night is if people just stopped cruising specifically because the line had it ... thus decreased revenue.

Opinions here/elsewhere aren't going to amount to squat, they'll do what affects their bottom line.

My sentiments exactly.

For me, the only downside about formal nite is having to transport the clothing. I was going to say - I would like to have just have one formal nite, but actually, once DH has his tux packed for one nite . . . why not use it for two nites, LOL!!!

lets be honest...this is wasting time....we all could be doing something more productive...not as fun...but more productive.

Being the OP, it's your thread to waste time on. Personally, I'm haveing a rather slow day at the office anyway. BTW, I'm wearing shorts, tennis shoes, a golf shirt and a cap and make plenty of money.:D

Aubie

Posted under the poll topic, and here as well:

It is also a revenue generator for the photo gallery, tuxedo rentals, blah blah... It's an extra thing on the cruise that doesn't cost them anything extra, it requires the passengers to spend money!

Given that these are things that increase money in Royal Caribbean's pockets ... why throw away possible revenue?

That is a very good point. It is really for their financial benefit that we are all roped into doing. If they did not have it think of all the saved money that would be spent else where on the ship.

I am starting a movement to get formal nights removed from cruising. I know it is controversial, but worth the effort.

All that should be required in the evenings is resort casual or country club casual or better. If one chooses to dress in tux and gowns than it would be their prerogative. As my mom says you can never really be too overdressed.

Not having a formal night is a more fair system. I pay the same amount as the others and because I don't like to dress up like I am going to work while I am on vacation I am forced to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant or the hideous buffet or be sequestered in my room.

The cruiselines read these boards and lets send them a great message!

If I don't get a response in my favor I will start showing up in ripped jeans and t-shirt on formal nights. As we all know poorly dress people are never asked to leave. ;)

You go to work in a TUX...... what do you do? ;)

You missed the point. My thread title had "all those in favor speak up", not "all those opposed speak up." ;)

Actually I think we got the point. It would be quite a small thread if the one or two people who don't like formal night were the only other posts.

Long live formal night!

Anybody up for a crusade for there to be 3 formal nights per 7 nights of cruising? Now that would be a worthy cause!

No I am not saying I can not take the truth, I was looking for others with my own opinion about it to speak up.

Why do you want others to speak up?....do you actually think the cruiseline are going to change the dress code because you want them to?

On my recent NV cruise, nobody (apart from small amount from roll call) had even heard of CC...so I cant see the cruiseline changing the dress code just because you started a thread on here about it...and maybe a handful of people will agree with you.

Your whole argument is akin to saying, "I want to go to the Opera, but I want them to play country music." Ridiculous! If you don't like getting dressed up, vacation in a manner which doesn't require formalwear--perhaps camping, or a land vacation in Key West!

There are cruiselines which don't require a suit.

Or, perhaps you would like a "class system", like they used to have on seagoing vessels--1st class passengers will have formal nights, and all the "goodies" that go along with it. 2nd class passengers will wear shorts 24/7 and eat only buffet food.

C'mon! Get real!

That is a very good point. It is really for their financial benefit that we are all roped into doing. If they did not have it think of all the saved money that would be spent else where on the ship.

Or - the financial benefit is supplying a product that their customer base wants.

I spend no extra money associated with formal night that could be spent anywhere else. Rather I get a "formal night out" with DH for the price of admission. Thank you RCI! :)

I could take it or leave it. But I don't think they should do away with it. Not enough people are ready for that yet, and many many people really enjoy formal nights and that is one of the reasons they cruise. If I don't like it, I have other options. But while in the dining room, I dress formal on formal night. If I don't want to, I go to Windjammer, Chops or Portofino. There are plenty of options if you don't want to participate.

Your whole argument is akin to saying, "I want to go to the Opera, but I want them to play country music." Ridiculous! If you don't like getting dressed up, vacation in a manner which doesn't require formalwear--perhaps camping, or a land vacation in Key West!

Or, perhaps you would like a "class system", like they used to have on seagoing vessels--1st class passengers will have formal nights, and all the "goodies" that go along with it. 2nd class passengers will wear shorts 24/7 and eat only buffet food.

C'mon! Get real!

Excellent post!

Why even have the ships go to sea, just keep them in the same port because some people get seasick???

Aubie

C'mon! Get real!

No it is more like saying I want to go to the opera, but during the second act I want to wear something different.

Abolish them. It's a ridiculous and pretentious costume parade. For those who prefer dressing up, there are alternative dining options like the buffet. :rolleyes:

I have to laugh when I read comments about preserving the "tradition" of formal dining on cruises. Back in the glory days of sailing, that option was available only to the very wealthy -- folks who today are on the premium lines or private yachts, not RCI. There is no tradition of middle-class people dressing up for dinner.

I await your flames with bated breath.

PS -- Even though I don't like it, I do observe the dress code, always and to the letter. So responses containing the words "rude," "classless," "dirty," or "plebian" are not only unnecessary but inaccurate. :)

You might have better luck on the NCL boards to find those like minded people. :D

I choose my cruise based on Itinerary and ship. Sometimes is RCCL, sometimes it is NCL or Princess.

NCL has a great program regarding formal night. It is the model I think RCCL should follow. But overall I like RCCL but HATE the formal night. Thats all.

Formal nights are the status quo. All who favor them have it. Those who dont have it need to voice their opinions to make any changes. We need to move the cruise line in the right direction.

Guess 'right direction' is a matter of opinion.

We enjoy formal nights including pictures and the atmosphere of a special night/dinner. Hope you change your opinion. :)

Abolish them. It's a ridiculous and pretentious costume parade. For those who prefer dressing up, there are alternative dining options like the buffet. :rolleyes:

I have to laugh when I read comments about preserving the "tradition" of formal dining on cruises. Back in the glory days of sailing, that option was available only to the very wealthy -- folks who today are on the premium lines or private yachts, not RCI. There is no tradition of middle-class people dressing up for dinner.

I await your flames with bated breath. :)

Bravo!!!! Where have you been. By the way, on the premium lines they are Resort Casual with no formal nights.

I will standby with firehoses to help put out the flames

I choose my cruise based on Itinerary and ship. Sometimes is RCCL, sometimes it is NCL or Princess.

NCL has a great program regarding formal night. It is the model I think RCCL should follow. But overall I like RCCL but HATE the formal night. Thats all.

Don't eat in the dining room for formal night then. WJ on the Mariner is very nice at dinner, live music, cloth tablecloths, waiters getting you drinks and dessert if you so choose. Chops and Portofino are also options or even Johnny Rockets. Room service on your balcony, if you have one, is always nice too.

Archived