Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

BrianTom- Ok so ya hate formal night. I can't stand eatin' in monkey suit either.

However, I took . . . . . . that approach. Find something from your family history that you can pull off with a little flair. Turn what you hate into something to enjoy.

Can't back you on your idea. Where would I pull my "Doc Holliday" routine then? :)

Sadly, my Dress Blues no longer fit. . . :eek:

That is a GREAT idea BTW!!!

I vote to retain Formal Nights! :eek:

This is not a poll. As a matter of fact, I was not interested in hearing from anyone in favor of formal nights. But now that I have....feel free to cast your vote, everyone else is. ;)

I had to Laugh out loud when I read the "stink eye" on boat or on the threads. It is true. You will enjoy the NCL experience, but the rooms are small but I dont know anyone on their honeymoon that really cared about room size.

Secondly, all the die hard Formal People will have to realize that the more the airlines keep charging for baggage (that is the direction they are all going) the more endangered the formal nights will become. I feel like a mad scientist finally creating his destructive formula as I write this....It is just a matter of time. The guests will not want to pay the airlines extra fees to carry the extra luggage needed for formal nights and the cruiselines will be forced to do away with it!! ha hahahahahahhahahahahah...........

One of the reasons we love renting DH's tux on board. Saves more room in the luggage. There are ways around your evil plan!:D

BT - Thanks for the info. I might have to try that sometime.

You should do all or part of the Mariner of the Seas repositioning around the horn on January/February of 09. As long as you read my rules and stay positive and enjoy life.

I laughed hard at your conditions of me booking the repo cruise. I would love to do it but time is the problem. I did like your rules...they really can apply to anywhere

Stick with NCL.

On Formal Night on the Dream we had a couple across from us in dirty t-shirts, sweats, flip-flops and he left a baseball cap on the entire time.

If you cruise HAL, the buffet is NOT as you describe it. At dinner you will find tablecloths, candles, you can order wine, you go through the line and choose things and your entree is served to you at your table. The food is delicious and most everything being served in the DR is also being served in Lido (with the exception of lobster; I'd dress up for lobster~actually it's Surf and Turf, but I order Surf and Surf) anytime.

This is the first time those who didn't dress up for Formal Night really stuck out in other areas of the ship. There were many people at the show in shorts and t-shirts so the expectation that people remain in their more dressy clothes for the evening isn't there any longer, I guess. I know I changed out of my high heels on the way to the show but I left my dressy dress on.

You can make your choices based on the line you choose.

My question is, if you like the NCL concept, and enjoy cruising on that line, why not just stick mostly to that line, rather than thinking other lines should conform to your preferences? I like formal night, but I don't feel the need to lobby on the NCL board for them to institute formal dining.

Makingold...why dont you stick to just being funny;).....Your logic makes sense but the truth is I like RC ships the best. So I figured it is easier to lobby to change a RC policy rather than to change NCL's ships.

This is not a poll. As a matter of fact, I was not interested in hearing from anyone in favor of formal nights. But now that I have....feel free to cast your vote, everyone else is. ;)
Thats a real hoot, you only want to hear from people that agree with you. Guess you have found out it just doesn't work that way

Makingold...why dont you stick to just being funny;).....Your logic makes sense but the truth is I like RC ships the best. So I figured it is easier to lobby to change a RC policy rather than to change NCL's ships.

Then you should just sail RC and put up with a the occasional formal night, either by dressing up, accepting the stink-eye or skipping the dining room that night. :p

My thread said "people in favor speak up" I was up front and honest about it.

As a matter of fact, I would say anyone talking about being infavor of formal night would be considered discussing "off topic" for this thread.

Then you should just sail RC and put up with a the occasional formal night, either by dressing up, accepting the stink-eye or skipping the dining room that night. :p

and Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus. No way Jose, I speak up for what I want.... But accepting the stink eye seems like the way it is going to be....

I vote to keep formal night and for RCCL to enforce the dress code rules (also chair hoggers who i hate with a vengance). I like others enjoy gonig to the champagne bar, champagne in hand and 'people watch' on formal nights. I and my family enjoy the whole experience. May i politely suggest that you stick to NCL.

This "controversy" reminds me of churches that have to appease those who prefer traditional music as well as those who want more modern music during services. Many of these churches will offer one traditional service and then a separate contempory service to meet these tastes.

Perhaps RCCL should offer casual dress for the early dinner and formal dress for the later dinner.

Then people can dine in the attire that suits them.

I personally do not like formal nights but when we have cruised in the past we did dress up, we are cruising this December and decided we are not taking any formal wear for our upcoming cruise, we decided to go casual

Formal nights should not be abolished, there are many cruisers who do like to dress up and for those of us who do not there are plenty of alternatives to choose from. It is great to have choices. Chops, Portofino and Jade come to mind as great alternatives which we enjoy doing once or twice during our cruise.

I honestly believe if formal nights were taken away cruising would lose some of its alure for many cruisers who do look forward to getting all dressed up.

It is all about choice.

Is that supposed to be some kind of comparison?

I'm done here.

No not a comparison at all. Rather a demonstration of how a single person can doing a single act can change the world.

Why would that make you "done here?"

I have not read all of the replies..but..I do NOT want formals nights to be abolished!! I LOVE THEM!!! I love getting dressed up.

I live in workout clothes because I am a fitness instructor/dancer. So..getting dressed up and also wearing the "Smart Casuals" is a treat for me.

I say..if you don't like formal nights...eat in the Windjammer or another place. Sorry...I vote for formals! :D

Sorry it's not "easy to lobby change" when you are in the minority who wants the change.

I love formal night. I love the opportunity to dress up. And that is one of my biggest complaints when cruising other cruiselines...the passengers are just so informal.

So I hope RCCL never takes away formal night.

Archived