Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

I hate formal nights because unlike most women, I hate dressing up. Ironically DH likes to dress up. I save him a fortune on clothes since I wear the same formal outfit on every cruise. After all, you only wear it once or twice a year so it never wears out. Although we do have a lot of formal photos on various ships of me in that outfit :D

Sheesh - the guy is entitled to his opinion. Why resort to personal attacks? No wonder so many of these threads get closed.

• Do I personally enjoy having formal nights? No.
  • Would I prefer not to have to drag formal clothes with me given the luggage restrictions of today? Yes.
  • Do we sail lines that have "country club casual" and lines that have formal dress? Yes. Itinerary and our travel companions are usually the deciding factor.
  • Do I observe the dress code on whichever line I happen to be sailing? Yes.

A little civility in this discussion would go a long way. Folks who prefer not to dress formally are not all slobs with no manners. And enjoying dressing up for formal night does not make someone a peasant who has no real life and has to pretend to be something he/she is not.

we dont care for foraml nights either. same dining room we eat in any other night, why drag all that crap? and for the life of me i cannot understand what is so ncie about dressing up for a woman? hello! nylons, maybe a slip, panties, bra, heels (one cruise with heels and that was enough for me, nothing like walking the length of a ship in heels a few times.) then having someone take your photo while u have a mouthful of food..i know the younger ones seem to like it, live it up. we have never missed a formal night but will on our mariner cruise in may. takes up to much room anyway. they can get rid of it as far as we r concerned.

Sheesh - the guy is entitled to his opinion. Why resort to personal attacks? No wonder so many of these threads get closed.

• Do I personally enjoy having formal nights? No.
  • Would I prefer not to have to drag formal clothes with me given the luggage restrictions of today? Yes.
  • Do we sail lines that have "country club casual" and lines that have formal dress? Yes. Itinerary and our travel companions are usually the deciding factor.
  • Do I observe the dress code on whichever line I happen to be sailing? Yes.

A little civility in this discussion would go a long way. Folks who prefer not to dress formally are not all slobs with no manners. And enjoying dressing up for formal night does not make someone a peasant who has no real life and has to pretend to be something he/she is not.

news flash: differing opinions are not personal attacks :rolleyes:

I spend my working days in overalls and although i pwn my company i work along side my engineers so for me it is a wonderfull experience to dress up and most of all have the woman you love on your arm wearing a gorgeous gown to dinner long live formal

Actually I couldn't care less about formal nights. It's not the center of my cruise or even a highlight. I understand for some it is and I see no problem with that. I guess I don't understand the OP's position however. I have yet to see anyone dressed in business casual, on a formal night, be removed from or denied entry to the dining room. As a matter of fact, I have had several tablemates over the years dressed similarily and it didn't seem to affect the conversation or atmosphere. I disagree with folks who suggest those not wanting to participate in dressing formally should dine in another venue.

I think this forum will probably have opinions that weigh more heavily towards "traditional" type of cruising and so I'm not surprised by the overwhelming support of formal nights. I do wonder, with the mass marketing of the cruise lines, if "traditional" will be one of those things talked in the past tense sometime down the road. It appears that on some threads, traditional is already talked about in the past tense depending on the subject matter.

You missed the point. My thread title had "all those in favor speak up", not "all those opposed speak up."

I didn't miss the point at all. :) You said in your post that you hoped RCL reads this thread. If that's the case, I would hate for them to get a one-sided view of the discussion. ;)

You must be a cretin in your real life versus the faking you do on the cruise...

Yes, I may in fact be a cretin. But my mother raised me to be a well mannered cretin who does his best to be respectful and considerate of other people feelings.

Formal night is a special night for many people. For some it's a reminder of the grand old days of transatlantic cruising where EVERY night was formal night and only the very rich could afford the experience.

So why would you want to do anything that would detract or interfere with their enjoyment of this wonderful tradition?. Is it really too much to ask for you to put on a jacket and tie. Nobody is asking that you wear a tuxedo.

Jimmers:)

I didn't miss the point at all. :) You said in your post that you hoped RCL reads this thread. If that's the case, I would hate for them to get a one-sided view of the discussion. ;)

Thats my point. I dont want them to read your view. Only mine.

As a poster who I haven't seen in a while (Huck, anyone know where he is?) once posted "Tuxes 24-7, men, women, children and babies....everyone wears 'em -in the pools, hot tubs, on excursions and sleeping".

BrianTom, I'm with you...get rid of formal nights. It's kind of a joke anyway, I almost think I'm at a Halloween party.

Speaking of Halloween, jc - have you lost your mind? What transgression did you commit that has you wearing something like a Che Guevara killer bee outfit?

Marci, post #68, atta girl!

:D :D

I agree with you, I could do away with the formal nights. After my 3rd cruise, I was over them and just want to be casual and relax on my vacations. I usually do one formal night and eat in the Windjammer the other night. Two nights of formal for me are too much. I would rather spend my time on vacation relaxing than getting ready for two hours primping.

I continue to cruise with RCCL though because I like RCCL.

Archived