Explorer Live Now And Then

Hi Explorer lovers! I am now onboard our favorite ship:)

We had a perfect sailaway this evening with smooth seas and sunny skies. We arrived to port later than normal about 2:30 pm. It was GREAT! Empty spots to unload, no traffic, we couldn't believe it!

I have to stop the departure details for a sec. It's 12:15 am and I've had a huge helicopter hovering off my balcony for about 15 minutes and it just finally pulled around to the bow. We had a person collaspe tonight in the dining room at our 830 seating and they took them out on a stretcher with oxygen and they are doing a lifeflight now. I am portside next to the Royal Suite bow side. Say a prayer that the person will be ok. The helicopter must have been hovering along side the ship as they prepared the pad for landing. I did get a couple of pictures of the helicopter off my balcony when it was along side the ship but it's very windy out right now so we are getting rocked just a bit.

aqhacruiser - Sounds like an intense beginning to your cruise! Hope all turns out okay for the passenger and their cruisemates. Will be curious to hear the rest of this story; and about your cruise too!

We loved sailing Explorer and will follow this thread to hear about your cruise.

Corona

I have not seen the helicopter leave yet but it could have flown off starboard and I'll find out more in the morning.

As I was waiting for DH to park the car today I noticed several porters calling out for wheelchairs and they were delivered by port staff. I asked one of the employees how far they take the passengers and he said all the way to the ship where they are met by crew members who have other wheelchairs to bring people right to their cabins. I never noticed this service before but I've always arrived around 12:30 when things were very busy so I may have missed it but I thought this was worth mentioning to those who may need a wheelchair on the ship.

My Cybercabin was waiting for me so I just connected quickly and we went to the Windjammer for a late lunch. A word about our JS next to the RS. It has a funky balcony!:D LOL! It doesn't bother us but it may bother someone else. It has two openings instead of one and there is a pipe and shaft sort of down the middle. This could actually be a plus if sailing in the winter as it blocks the wind better.

There has been a change in Captains. Although Captain Ryan is listed on the Compass our Captain is now Captain Erik Standal. We look forward to meeting him tomorrow. CD is still Dave Chapman

We have our regular table in the Magellan next to the Captains table in front of staircase. It was good to see waiters and others that we know still onboard:)

I will say one thing was odd about departure today. When we arrived at the ship tons of people were coming off which held up the lines to board quite awhile. They had visitor tags on and may have been onboard for a wedding.

Tonights menu was the Bon Voyage menu which I know Lynn can post for you here.

Drink of day was Lava Flow for 8.75. They have changed the Coke cups just in case anyone wants to know and price is the same 6.00 per day plus tip. Ricky is still the Concierge and it was wonderful to see him again and we have our ice show tickets for Thursday. We have reservations for Portifino and as of right now it is booked for the 5 night cruise! So make your reservations right away when you board.

There was an Adventure Ocean Welcome Aboard show at 5:15pm, studio B where you could meet the Youth Staff:)

Sailaway Parade was at 11:15pm on the Promanade. Welcome Aboard show was held at 7:45pm and held in thePalace Theater and featured the comedy of Rick Starr, the magical comedy of Peter Gross, and the Royal Caribbean singer and Dancers. Attire for this evening was casual. The food in the Windjammer for lunch was hot today assome had mentioned recently is was on the cool side so they must have corrected that issue.

We set our clocks forward one hour ahead tonight.

Some info on transportation in Bermuda, Bus/Ferry pass 1 day pass adult 12.00 child under 16 6.00. 2 Day pass adult 20.00, child 10.00. Passes are available as always at Guest Relations.

I sent 3 of DH dress shirts out for pressing today for 1.75 each. PRICELESS in my book! :D

Just ask any questions and several of the Explorer Lovers can answer or I will when I'm back online.

BBL! :D

Suzanne

I sure hope all is well for that person. Our prayers are with them.

Are you getting rocked from the helicopter or the weather. Hopefully you'll have calm seas soons.

My DD is on your cruise, I talked with her at 3:15 and she was in her HUMP cabin and already WOWED!! by the ship. This is her first time on a voyager class and she had already explored the upper decks and was headed down to the prom.

Explorer is my all time favorite ship having sailed her 4 times...we have tons of great memories......all of your enjoy her and have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Suzanne,

That's strange about your balcony. You'll have to take pictures since it's a one of a kind thing. But knowing you, you've already taken many of them - lol.

Enjoy your cookies now cause Friday we'll be coming on board and then there will be less cookies around - lol.

Looking forward to reading more of your live posts.

Have a fun day,

Carol

HI Suzanne,

Hope you're having a great time. I hope that individual they took off the ship is doing well...how sad to spend so much time anticipating a fabulous trip to only have it interrupted that way. I pray he/she is doing well and will be able to sail again soon.

DH and I found that beautiful little 9-11 memorial park at the end of the pier yesterday, so we were in that group of happy people waving to you from the pier. All I can say is WOW!...what a beautiful ship. We can't wait to sail on her on May 31 and with you!!!!

Keep the posts coming

Pat

Hey Suzanne!! Couldn't wait to wake up today and read your live post!!! Glad you had a good sail away!!! :)

Hope that passengar is okay...

Have a great time on ship and in Bermuda... but hurry back and pick us up on Friday!!!! :D

Hi, Suzanne!

Thanks for the updates. Thanks also for the info on the cost for pressing the dress shirts. I think you just made my day! You're right, PRICELESS! So tonight, two unpressed dress shirts are going into the suitcase. :)

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Hi Suzanne...

Oh, I'm here at work wishing I was on Explorer NOW!!! But I have to wait my 3 more weeks for 12 nights on board!

I see David Chapman is still CD. Any word about him leaving soon? We heard Alan Brooks might be our CD next month. Not a big deal as I understand they are both excellent... but just wondering.

Have a wonderful time!!!

Alex

Suzanne

Couldn't wait to start reading your posts today:) . How may time have you sailed on the Explorer? Three of my sisters-in-law, a cousin and their spouses will be boarding her on Friday. Between your posts and their pictures when they return I'm sure I'll feel right at home next July:p . Have a wonderful vacation.

Judy

Hey pal...Sounds like it was a lot easier boarding a little later. Thanks for posting so much info for all of us.

Needless to day...a prayer is sent to that passenger who was airlifted off.

Tell Deb I said "HI"........ and I don't even HAVE to tell you to have fun! ;)

I'll be tuning in here often.

:) Hi Suzanne, wish it was me on the Explorer, but that's not to be until October 2008. Would you find out if Steven is still working in the athletics area? He was great and cheered me on to ring the bell on the rock wall. If so, tell him Nancy & Rich say "HI" and see if he'll be there next Fall.

Thanks,

Nancy

As I was waiting for DH to park the car today I noticed several porters calling out for wheelchairs and they were delivered by port staff. I asked one of the employees how far they take the passengers and he said all the way to the ship where they are met by crew members who have other wheelchairs to bring people right to their cabins. I never noticed this service before but I've always arrived around 12:30 when things were very busy so I may have missed it but I thought this was worth mentioning to those who may need a wheelchair on the ship.

Tonights menu was the Bon Voyage menu which I know Lynn can post for you here.

I sent 3 of DH dress shirts out for pressing today for 1.75 each. PRICELESS in my book! :D

Suzanne

Suzanne -

Your wish is my command!!!!

Bon Voyage (BV)

Melon and Mango Drizzled with ginger syrup

Smoked Fish Tapenade Smoked fish, onions, capers and fresh herbs, served with crostini

Vidalia Onion Tart Sweet onions and Gruyère cheese baked in pastry, with red pepper coulis

Tuscan Tomato Soup Thick rustic soup swirled with basil pesto

Saigon Chicken Noodle Soup Chicken broth with lemongrass, ginger, noodles, and julienne vegetables

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Garnished with chopped celery and cucumber

Spinach Salad With plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and toasted pine nuts - Ranch, Thousand Island, Italian, Blue cheese, Honey mustard or Caesar dressing

Shrimp Ravioli In a creamy coconut-lime lobster sauce with freshly wilted spinach and crispy fried leeks

SD -Royal Herb-Crusted Fillet of Atlantic Cod With a light cream saffron-Champagne sauce, red-skinned mashed potatoes and scallions

Stuffed Chicken Breast Filled with prosciutto and brie, served with red pimento relish

Slow-Roasted Prime Rib With a baked potato and horseradish au jus

Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Quesadilla Folded in a flour tortilla with Manchego cheese and tomato cilantro salsa

Mashed potatoes, baked potato, rice and vegetable of the day

Traditional Caesar Salad

Fettuccine with Marinara Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Grilled Chicken Breast with seasonal herbs

Grilled Black Angus Top Sirloin with Herb Butter

Ivory Chocolate Fondue Full of mixed berries, with a crunchy biscuit

Apple Pie á la Mode Slices of spiced Golden Delicious apples baked in a double-crust pastry, topped with vanilla ice cream

Savarin Rum-soaked yeast cake filled with banana cream, finished with orange wedges, Kadota figs and chocolate chips

Tropical Fruit Salad Marinated in Grand Marnier

Sugar-free Swan Chantilly A pastry swan filled with sugar-free whipped cream, served with apricot purée

I saw a gentleman at Guest Relations with one of the wheelchairs from the ship when we were onboard in August. He was having a problem with it and they were replacing it. The funny thing is that it said - "Property of Adventure of the Seas" on the back!!! LOL

Isn't having the men's shirts pressed just FABULOUS!?!? I think it's WELL worth the price!!!! LOL Hadn't you ever done that before? Boy - when I read that price - it was a no brainer for me!!!! Freshly pressed shirts for my husband and son - no ironing here for me before we left - and all for only $1.75 per shirt!!!! As you said - PRICELESS!!!!

I put in some prayers for the person airlifted out. Hopefully - everything will be fine. But then again - I couldn't help but think it would have been SO much better to have happened on the LAST night of the cruise instead of the FIRST night!!!!

Archived