Explorer Live Now And Then

There was an announcement not long ago about how the Dancing with the Stars type competition would be beginning on the EX in January but it has already begun -- the dancers have been on board for several weeks and have been participating in the production shows demonstrating various ballroom dances. I cant wait for that! :)QUOTE]

Any more news on the Dancing with the Stars type competition? Do couples get to dance off against each other or do they dance with pro teachers like on the TV show?

I also see that there are questions about behind the scene tours.

While Suzanne is not diamond plus yet, I am, and one of the perks of diamond plus is that on discretion of the captain, certain behind the scenes tours may be offered. It is NOT a given, always at the discretion of the captain. :) This is how we had the fantastic opportunity to go on the galley and bridge tours.

On the longer cruises, there is a lunch and galley tour conducted by the executive chef that can be purchased. I am told it is well worth the cost, but I am not sure how much it is. I'm sure someone else can help with that. :)

The Engine Room tour is NOT a perk for diamond plus members. I was very lucky in that my husband and I have a wonderful friend who is a chief engineer and we are considered part of the family. :) Engine room tours are NEVER given on the ships any more to the general public since 9-11. Suzanne and Dave were also invited since they were traveling with me, but were of course sworn to secrecy about any details. :)

So Deb if I'm really nice & maybe considered a part of your family you put in a good word I would love to see engine room;)

Many of the same crew is still onboard but we do have some new crew members and as always the staff is excellent. Our stewards for our JS and OS have been outstanding:) I really enjoy talking to those we've known for awhile each time we board. Many crew members are excited about seeing some snow this winter but not too sure of the cold that comes with it! :)

Just send them up to Canada we will share:D

Like that one didn't ya? Hey! It's getting to the point we may as well just pack the fixodent and leave the toothpaste at home! ROFLMAO! Do you believe it? One in a million doc! LOL! I know it's funny! I've been laughing since it happened and DH..........well you know how helpful husbands can be in time of crisis..........he looks over as I am HORRIFIED and I DO MEAN HORRIFIED:eek: staring at my tooth and says well maybe if you didn't take a sandwich! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP OH DEAR ONE! LOL! I'll remember that one if he ever falls off, I can look over and say well MAYBE if you didn't lean over so far.................:D

Crazy Glue works:D

Crazy Glue works:D

ACKKKK... I can see it now! Suzanne with her mouth glued shut and not able to eat during her cruise!! :eek: AHAHA! We're like Lucy and Ethel and I know I only trust MYSELF with Elmer's glue so I sure don't trust SUZANNE with Crazy Glue! :eek: FUNNY!!!!! LOL !

It is called the Savor luncheon and it is $54 per person, which includes the lunch (with drinks and wine), the galley tour, and a copy of the Savor Cookbook. You can read my description here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610198

Oohhh great description, Carol! I want to do that in December! :)

There you are!:D Glad to see you are safely back home!:D I just received a beautiful vase of flowers from the hotel director:)

Back home safely and wishing I were still aboard. If only Bob had been with me, and my dogs, I would have been begging to sleep on your comfy couch in that gorgeous owners suite. :)

Be sure and take lots of pictures to post when you get back! I cant wait to hear about the Dominican Republic in particular since I've never been there. Maybe it wont be too hot. LOL

Many of the same crew is still onboard but we do have some new crew members and as always the staff is excellent. Our stewards for our JS and OS have been outstanding:) I really enjoy talking to those we've known for awhile each time we board. Many crew members are excited about seeing some snow this winter but not too sure of the cold that comes with it! :)

Umm there are some passengers who are excited about sailing on the EX in December but not too sure of the snow or the cold, too. :p

Thanks Deb!! Our upcoming 12-14 cruise is only a 9 day but I'll settle for it. :D ;)

I'm going to call C&A and ask them about the credits.

I got a $200 platinum discount on one of the balconies (couldn't get it on the 2nd one we booked because I didn't put DH in there with our SIL...but I put DH in my cabin). Anyway, it would have been nice to get a bigger discount if I were diamond.

Hey, I'm still happy though, because I did get a lot of OBC for the Visa rewards, and the C&A certificate was $150 if I remember correctly, and we received a military discount as well, so I can't complain. RCI treats us all a lot better than other cruiselines treat their loyal pax). :)

I agree - RCCL has the best loyalty program ever! :)

Good afternoon from the Explorer! I just came back from our Meet & Mingle in Portifino and it was great meeting everyone from the Royal Explorer 10/26! They gave out several nice prizes and I won the RCCL mouse. I would have loved to stay longer and chat but..............

Now just a bit of a funny story that I know Seacruise:D and some from my 12/2 members will appreciate a good giggle about.

I lost my tempory crown from my last root canal, off one of my front teeth yesterday. Yes, VERY attractive and Yes, I am being VERY sarcastic! No, no dentist onboard. I lost it when I bit into a turkey sandwich so you may want to rethink those if you have a tempory crown! LOL:D So my dentist always said to pack fix a something ( can't remember name ) with me just in case. So I have it and it will hold the cap for about a half hour and that's it, so my chatting and smiling was on a time limit today! LOL! I know some people wanted to speak with me longer and I do apologise but I was having technical difficulties at the moment and I'm just grateful the stupid cap did not fly out during the time I WAS there!:eek: So I basically have my Halloween costume without wearing anything different! I swear one of these days I will write a book of various mishaps that have occured when I'm on a cruise! LOL! So for those of you in the middle of root canals and other dental work you may want to pack something that will get you thru one of those Kodak moments JUST IN CASE! LOL It's always an adventure! :D

Other than THAT, the Meet & Mingle was just great! They put out ice tea and snacks for us and it was a nice time.

Christie and her family are very nice people and they are all enjoying the cruise also.

As you all know we are headed to Labadee when the sun is HOT so I and a few others were discussing sunburn as we are very fair skin and in light of my tooth situation, I told them that I may just borrow a bedsheet, cut two holes for eyes and go as a ghost to protect me from the sun and to hide the fact I am missing a front tooth. Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak and this IS a Halloween cruise afterall! LOL!

Ok, time for lunch and no, the missing tooth has not slowed down my eating capability AT ALL! :D

BBL

I just shudder every time I think about it. I know you said it doesn't hurt, but it sounds like it should hurt! :eek:

I like the combination sunscreen and Halloween costume idea! LOL

Any more news on the Dancing with the Stars type competition? Do couples get to dance off against each other or do they dance with pro teachers like on the TV show?

I'm sure Suzanne will have more details, but I believe what they said was that the couples will be trained by the professional dancers, they will not be paired with them for the actual dancing. And I think that the passengers will select the winning couple at the end of the competition.

Suzanne, did I get it right?

ACKKKK... I can see it now! Suzanne with her mouth glued shut and not able to eat during her cruise!! :eek: AHAHA! We're like Lucy and Ethel and I know I only trust MYSELF with Elmer's glue so I sure don't trust SUZANNE with Crazy Glue! :eek: FUNNY!!!!! LOL !

Just us to hold crown in place,heard a news report that it is used in Great Britain as dental work is expensive and poor health plans but not for me:eek:

And they still let you on the tours? :D

I didn't say I had to be sane now did I? LOL! :D

Ok' date=' some new news:D [/size']

Once again we had an outstanding dinner at Portifino. Be sure to book as soon as you board if you want to dine there as it books up very fast.

For those who use a scooter that do not want to bother taking one on a cruise you may rent one to use on your cruise. Just call RCCL and ask to speak to the special needs dept.

For those interested in the Exclusive Savor Luncheon here is what it says

You are invited to experience an indulgent luncheon that offers you an opportunity to taste 3 gourmet recipes from the Royal Carribean cookbokk " Savor " . Hosted by the Executive Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager, this exclusive luncheon will include a behind the scenes tour of the galley, complimentary wine, and an ultimate table setting in Portifino that is sure to please. As a closing gift you will also receive a complimentary copy of our " Savor " cookbook signed by the Executive Chef. Note: very limited seating for this exclusive event. 55.00 per person dial 3332 for reservations.

Highlights for Day 3 are

The show is the comedy and song of international star Judy Kolba 7pm and 9pm.

Spirits of the Seasons Ice Show 3pm and 5pm

Latin Fiesta Maharajas Lounge 10pm

Mens Belly Flop 1pm poolside

Invitation to Dance 10:15 Studio B

Menu is the Venetian Feast, casual

Drink of the day is the Caribbean Cooler 7.75

Art Auction 2pm

Blackjack tournament 11am

Partner Massage workshop 61.00 per couple.

and tons of other things to do onboard for our second sea day.

Smooth sailing this evening and partly cloudy tomorrow 85 degrees.:D

I was also on the Oct. 21 cruise - may I add that we were in cabin 1343 and our rugs were NOT new. But we did notice during the cruise that rugs were being replaced in some of the cabins, because there were garbage bags full of ripped carpeting left in the halls. They just were not replaced in ours during the cruise.

We also saw bags of artificial turf that were delivered to the deck near the mini golf area, leading us to believe that perhaps the mini-golf turf will be replaced soon.

Hope it was okay to add that.

Thanks for reminding me:) We also thought it may be for a new mini golf green but it was for all new greenery for the pool deck so the ship looks pretty all winter! It was installed today and it looks very nice. I'll take pictures tomorrow:)

FYI

I understand the crazy glue comment was a joke for holding on a temporary crown, but working in the dental field, some people have done this to horrible results. Please don't for your sanity and the cost to you as your dentist has to try and fix that.

You can ask your dentist for some extra cement to take with you as they have access to individual packets of this temp cement and you can take a couple with you in case this ever happens to you.

(Although I hope not:) )

You are better off if you do not have any dental temp cement handy to use melted wax from any candles you can find on a ship to hold things in place.

Good luck!

FYI

I understand the crazy glue comment was a joke for holding on a temporary crown, but working in the dental field, some people have done this to horrible results. Please don't for your sanity and the cost to you as your dentist has to try and fix that.

You can ask your dentist for some extra cement to take with you as they have access to individual packets of this temp cement and you can take a couple with you in case this ever happens to you.

(Although I hope not:) )

You are better off if you do not have any dental temp cement handy to use melted wax from any candles you can find on a ship to hold things in place.

Good luck!

Yes, I agree with you 100% (I'd be afraid of using crazy glue, or any glue for that matter ). I do bring fixodent and I also just found a temporary dental repair in Walgreen's that is called "OK to Cap It", which is strictly for adhering caps until you can get to a dentist.

Thanks for posting. :)

Oohhh great description, Carol! I want to do that in December! :)

Debbie that was being offered when we went up to NE. Now that it was described sounds like something that I might want to do. On the Brilliance in Feb they had the backstage tour as part of the daily activites on the last day. Now it is no longer free. It was very interesting because you went into the sound room, the lighting room and back stage with one of the dancers to hear about the costumes. Then you went on stage with the director to hear about cues, very very interesting.

Suzanne if that is the same Judy as last year she is great and Allan had something special at the end of the show. He might do it again.

Sorry that tooth is being PI.A sort of like me and the two black eyes and everyone looking at dh.

Continue to have a great time. Tell that Dave he better treat you with kid gloves for the princess of the seas you are.

The galley tour was really great. Yes! They were very busy and toward end of tour the galley was flooded with waiters also as they were getting water and drinks for guests yet it is all so well organized it flows smoothly! :)

More news.............Allan Brooks IS NOW back onboard as CD.:D

Any idea where Dave is going? We had him on his first stint as a CD back in August, while Allan was still onboard (I guess mentoring), and found him to be pretty good, not knowing at the time it was his first time!

Also, how was the food?

Glad you had a good time! Thanks for updating us.

But Captain Ryan is no longer captain!?:( He was awesome, and his emo glasses were cool too.

And wow @ Dave still being CD. I heard he was only doing 2 months to fill in for Allan Brooks' vacation. He did August, September, and now basically all of October. I'm confused.

We returned from our cruise on August 12th, and that was Allan's last cruise as the "official" CD for that month. Then he went on the next cruise or two as a mentor for Dave before he left - so Dave didn't really do all of August. BTW - they were BOTH terrific!!!!

It is called the Savor luncheon and it is $54 per person, which includes the lunch (with drinks and wine), the galley tour, and a copy of the Savor Cookbook. You can read my description here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610198

I think this is a terrific deal considering I paid almost half that just for the cookbook!

Thanks for posting live Suzanne!! Great.

We had that same type JS on the hump starboard on the Adventure of the Seas. Weird balcony. Was OK but it wasn't my favorite.

Sure hope that passenger is OK, always worries me when we sail since my DH has a history of heart attacks. Prayers for that passenger and his/her family.

Lynn

I was wondering, were you right on the hump?Or were you in front or behind. We booked just behind, one or two rooms back from the hump and I wanted to know if there was any obstruction. Thanks!!

Archived