Explorer Live Now And Then

We were in a GS in Aug. and were invited to a Galley tour and backstage tour. I think the bridge and engine room tours are for Diamond members.

PS. Treefrog, - I think we're on the same cruise in Feb., the 15th???

thanks & YES WE ARE !! & I can't wait the 113 days we have to wait

Rudy, The tours sound incredible!! What do you mean you were "very very still so I did not accidently hit some button"? That doesn't sound like the gal we know and love? Now, tell the truth, you are now the Captain of the Explorer! LOL

Sorry it is raining there but soon, very soon you'll be back in the sunshine. Have a fabulous cruise and keep posting, we are living through you and Dave.;)

The galley tour was really great. Yes! They were very busy and toward end of tour the galley was flooded with waiters also as they were getting water and drinks for guests yet it is all so well organized it flows smoothly! :)

More news.............Allan Brooks IS NOW back onboard as CD.:D

Suzanne, glad to see you B2B went well, since you changed cabins, did you have to pack everything or did they have racks so what clothes are in the closets did not have to pack in your suitcases? We will also be changing cabins during our B2B in Dec.

Also, is the galley tour open to everyone or just to platinum level?

Have a great second leg of your cruise, looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get back. Do you post them in an online album so we can see all your pictures? Would love to see all of them.

Thanks for your live update...

Suz

Hey, guys dont take this wrong but hurry back!!!! 7 days by my total as i count vacation start when work is finished!!!! We decided to to the Marriot with our points so we will be not far from the port the night before making sure you come back home!!!!!

Suzanne, glad to see you B2B went well, since you changed cabins, did you have to pack everything or did they have racks so what clothes are in the closets did not have to pack in your suitcases? We will also be changing cabins during our B2B in Dec.

Have a great second leg of your cruise, looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get back. Do you post them in an online album so we can see all your pictures? Would love to see all of them.

Thanks for your live update...

Suz

I CAN'T wait to see her answer to this one....

BB I left YOU in charge of him! Not going well is it? LOL! I have completed my assignment you gave me and you will be pleased! LOL:D I did see Deb this morning for a bit and she probably got off the ship about 9:15 with pink tag. She was in the first group. They got the last group off about 11:40 and first passengers arrived onboard about 11:50. I will deal with McPokey now! LOL:D The crew is very excited about doing the 12 night and having us all onboard!

I have failed you miserably with regard to McPokey. He is out of control, scaring people, etc. I've done my best -- head hanging in shame! LOL

The only reason the crew is excited about us being on the 12-nighter is because they haven't met us all yet! I figure by the time we hit the first port they will be looking for a way to leave us there! ROFLMAO!

Suzanne, can you please tell me the cost of the tours, and how do you sign up for them. Thank you so much

Enjoy your 2nd half :)

I just read in the Travel Agent Guide book the tours are offered to Diamond Plus members (24 plus cruises).

It will be awhile before I get to see behind those doors....lol

countdown.pl?name=oceana172&date=9-23-2007&image=vfin&text=Is It Time Yet?&ship=Explorer of the Seas

I have failed you miserably with regard to McPokey. He is out of control, scaring people, etc. I've done my best -- head hanging in shame! LOL

The only reason the crew is excited about us being on the 12-nighter is because they haven't met us all yet! I figure by the time we hit the first port they will be looking for a way to leave us there! ROFLMAO!

Ginnie don't feel so bad he has to want to be helped before we can help him:confused:

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunor viewpost.gif

looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get back. Do you post them in an online album so we can see all your pictures?

Suz

I CAN'T wait to see her answer to this one....

Im curious too. I rec'd a few different answers to the galley tour when I telephoned Crown and Anchor. So, is it at the "discretion of the current Captain" as to who can go on the galley tour or is it Platinum and above or is is like another poster said 24 sails and above Diamond....Hmmmmm were there many pax went on the Galley tour with you this past sail, cant wait to see the pics as we will not be Platinum until our sail in December. This past July a friend went and they were also "just reaching Platinum"....

So confusing! lol

Hope everyone is out of the rainy icky weather and onto sunny warm tropical skies!

Hi, Everyone! Thanks to Carol, Andrew, Patrick, Ginnie, Lynn, Meaghan, and Mary for asking about me. :)

While lucky Suzanne is still on the ship, I had to come home and work so I can do that 12 nighter in December. :p

We had a great cruise and pictures will be forthcoming.

Lets see if I can answer some questions. :)

Cris -- regarding the Mac -- I was able to connect using wireless. My new MacBook doesn't have a built in modem so I could not do Cybercabin. Download speeds for email were good, but I couldnt send email from my email program, I had to go use webmail which was the pits. LOL I think the connection occasionally goes away for a few minutes and comes back which really affected my sending email from webmail or chatting on Yahoo. But I found the speed reasonable, especially late at night when not so many people were accessing the wireless network.

Hope this helps. :)

There was a question about the Captain. Erik Standahl was staff captain on the Voyager before he became Captain of the Explorer on 10-21-07. He should be on until the first week in January since they are doing 10 week rotations now. He was very busy taking charge of the Explorer and wasn't seen around the ship much, and did not host a table for dinner. He seemed very nice at the captains reception and when I get my pictures uploaded to photobucket I will post his picture for all you guys. :)

Captain Nik was originally scheduled to replace Captain Gronhaug, but as Suzanne said he will now be checking out ports for RCCL which sounds like a fascinating job. But their are many passengers who will miss him -- he is very passenger oriented and was out and about on the ship a lot. :)

Captain Ryan should be back the first week in January, for 10 weeks.

There have also been some questions about formal nights on the 12 night cruise. To be honest I believe they havent even really thought about which nights yet. There will be 3 new menus added to the 9 night menus and the galley staff will start training in those menus very soon. It is a very involved process -- corporate chefs will be coming from Miami to make sure that everyone from the Executive Chef on down learns how to prepare and present every item correctly. It is a massive undertaking since they aiming for both speed AND accuracy. :)

I do believe their will be three formal nights. My best guess and this is ONLY a guess is the second at sea day while sailing out and the first at sea day after the ports when sailing home (there are two at sea days in the beginning and then two at sea days at the very end) will be two of the formal nights. And then a third one scattered in the island section of the cruise. Looking at departure times I am guessing it will be one of the ports we sail from at 5 pm. If they are trying to spread them out, I would think it would either be Dominica or Barbados. BUT AGAIN, this is all just a GUESS on my part. :)

Thanks to Carol, Andrew, Patrick, Ginnie, Lynn, Meaghan, and Mary for asking about me. :)

I'll bet you and Suzanne had a great time together! I think everyone was waiting for you to get back and now you can keep McPokey in line...haha!

I'll bet the new carpeting, etc. looked great. You'll be debarking when I'm embarking so I hope we both have nice weather for our sailings!

P.S. Yes, you're right....we've always had 3 formal nights on 12 day cruises so far. :p

It was pretty crummy last night for them going out. They must have left before 5:30 because I was on that SI Ferry (5:30) and there was no sight of them. I did see the NCL Dawn behind us, it went out on a 2 nighter (my friend is on that one). Today is rain and more rain, I hope they're all not having a rough time out there.

Also, as I mentioned yesterday, we were in a GS in Aug. and were invited by Ricky (CL) to a tour of the galley and backstage.

I also see that there are questions about behind the scene tours.

While Suzanne is not diamond plus yet, I am, and one of the perks of diamond plus is that on discretion of the captain, certain behind the scenes tours may be offered. It is NOT a given, always at the discretion of the captain. :) This is how we had the fantastic opportunity to go on the galley and bridge tours.

On the longer cruises, there is a lunch and galley tour conducted by the executive chef that can be purchased. I am told it is well worth the cost, but I am not sure how much it is. I'm sure someone else can help with that. :)

The Engine Room tour is NOT a perk for diamond plus members. I was very lucky in that my husband and I have a wonderful friend who is a chief engineer and we are considered part of the family. :) Engine room tours are NEVER given on the ships any more to the general public since 9-11. Suzanne and Dave were also invited since they were traveling with me, but were of course sworn to secrecy about any details. :)

I also see that there are questions about behind the scene tours.

While Suzanne is not diamond plus yet, I am, and one of the perks of diamond plus is that on discretion of the captain, certain behind the scenes tours may be offered. It is NOT a given, always at the discretion of the captain. :) This is how we had the fantastic opportunity to go on the galley and bridge tours.

On the longer cruises, there is a lunch and galley tour conducted by the executive chef that can be purchased. I am told it is well worth the cost, but I am not sure how much it is. I'm sure someone else can help with that. :)

The Engine Room tour is NOT a perk for diamond plus members. I was very lucky in that my husband and I have a wonderful friend who is a chief engineer and we are considered part of the family. :) Engine room tours are NEVER given on the ships any more to the general public since 9-11. Suzanne and Dave were also invited since they were traveling with me, but were of course sworn to secrecy about any details. :)

Oh OK Deb! As I posted on my roll call, I had toured the engine rooms of different ships but that was many years ago, and I'm sure they've changed since then. Actually I THOUGHT that those tours were discontinued for the general public, but then I thought perhaps I was wrong. Well, you were lucky to have the opportunity to tour it, and Suzanne is lucky to have been with you so she could see it too!

Keep posting...I'm waiting to hear more cruising details !!! :D

I'll bet you and Suzanne had a great time together! I think everyone was waiting for you to get back and now you can keep McPokey in line...haha!

I'll bet the new carpeting, etc. looked great. You'll be debarking when I'm embarking so I hope we both have nice weather for our sailings!

P.S. Yes, you're right....we've always had 3 formal nights on 12 day cruises so far. :p

Hi, Mary! We did have a great time. :D

However I DO HOPE you realize that no one can keep McPokey in line. He's like a force of nature! LOL

The ship looked brand new. Seriously. I did see that they were still in the process of replacing some of the carpet in the cabins but it seemed they were almost done.

Glad to have that three formal night guess confirmed. :p

I really think you should change your sail date and come along with us.

Or I know, I can just stay on with you. LOL

I'm hoping for nice weather, too, but it sounds like they have put a lot of thought into what will make the guests comfortable on the two at sea days at the beginning and the two at end of the 12 night cruises. :)

I really think you should change your sail date and come along with us.

Or I know, I can just stay on with you. LOL

OMG...I would LOVE that!! I can't change our date because we're bringing one of our DD's & SIL and 12-14 fits their schedules.

I'm hoping for nice weather, too, but it sounds like they have put a lot of thought into what will make the guests comfortable on the two at sea days at the beginning and the two at end of the 12 night cruises. :)

I was so glad to hear that they are going to add some extras for our cold weather cruising!! Yay!

Oh OK Deb! As I posted on my roll call, I had toured the engine rooms of different ships but that was many years ago, and I'm sure they've changed since then. Actually I THOUGHT that those tours were discontinued for the general public, but then I thought perhaps I was wrong. Well, you were lucky to have the opportunity to tour it, and Suzanne is lucky to have been with you so she could see it too!

Keep posting...I'm waiting to hear more cruising details !!! :D

You were exactly right, Mary. :)

What would you like to hear about? Your wish is my command. :D

I was so glad to hear that they are going to add some extras for our cold weather cruising!! Yay!

Me too! Remember I come from the sunny and hot South. LOL

Those bad people on my 12-2 board have been telling me horror stories about what the weather might be like. LOL

Archived