Explorer Live Now And Then

[Richbum - Want to say hi! We're from Southwest Harbor.:)

Hey there..Welcome to the boards. Hubby used to work in So West at Morris Yachts.He got done a few months ago and now works in Blue Hill. We are from Ellsworth.

When are you going on Explorer?:D

Dall/Richbum:

Great to see some members from Maine! DH/I have a timeshare in Rockport and we've been traveling to Maine since 1996. Toured Ellsworth, Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Acadia, Little Schodic and a bunch of other areas up there. Maine is one of our favorite destinations and it's beautiful. Just wanted to say HI to both of you.

Sea ya!

Oh well now WALKING is a different subject altogether:D You know that well meaning straight line you attempt to walk that somehow ends up in you going to the far left or far right depending which way the ship is leaning. LOL! :p But that's what the rails are for so you can launch yourself off of them hopefully headed in the direction you are trying to go! LOL! :D I never thought of this as always stay on deck 10 so used to it but for anyone that will stay on deck 10 in the future, should you hit a storm you will hear many different strange sounds from above and that's just from things blowing/moving around the pool decks and nothing to worry about. You will also hear other bizarre sounds no matter where you are located and that is normal as the ship fights her way thru high seas and winds. It may scare some people but really, they are all normal noises due to sailing thru storms so do not worry. :)

Hi Suzanne, I'm reading your posts with interest as my husband and I will be on the December 2 sailing. Thanks for all the info - it's making me look forward to it even more! Thanks also for the reassuring words about the rough seas - I hope you all stay safe out there and, for someone who's never really been in rough seas before, it's good to know what to expect (I think)!! Have a great time!!

[Richbum - Want to say hi! We're from Southwest Harbor.:)

Hey there..Welcome to the boards. Hubby used to work in So West at Morris Yachts.He got done a few months ago and now works in Blue Hill. We are from Ellsworth.

When are you going on Explorer?:D

Hey Richbum we are almost neighbors,we are on 04/25/08:)

Jeanne:

Hey there ... how are you? :) I received your e-mail but haven't responded yet. Was in Myrtle Beach last week so I'm still in catch up mode with e-mail. Will get to you shortly.. promise.

Crisp1 was on the nine-day cruise after our Bermuda cruise last year.

Hope all is well!!!

Sea ya!

For everyone onboard right now, we are praying for you all to have a safe trip. Eat some cookies for us while you are stuck indoors.:D

Hey, thanks for thinking about us. We are leaving the storm and open decks are accessible. Seas have subsided, winds are down and the rain has stopped. We are going full speed to St. Maarten and the sense I am getting is that most passengers are happy to go to St. Maarten instead of Casa de Campo, so all in all, it is working out. My husband I are having a great time. Oh, also, we went ahead and booked our next cruise for Alaska.

CRUISE ON!!! We are still rockin rollin a little but nothing like earlier today!

Shoo

Hi Suzanne, I'm reading your posts with interest as my husband and I will be on the December 2 sailing. Thanks for all the info - it's making me look forward to it even more! Thanks also for the reassuring words about the rough seas - I hope you all stay safe out there and, for someone who's never really been in rough seas before, it's good to know what to expect (I think)!! Have a great time!!

Like you, I THINK it IS always good to know what to expect. LOL

Come visit our 12/2 roll call now that we are getting closer to cruise time. :)

We would love to have you join in on the fun!

When we cruised the Explorer in May they had Champagne Cards at the Champagne Bar. Do you know if they are still avaialable? Thanks.

I remember they had those when we sailed October '06. I hope they do as I plan on buying one again! ;)

They had them on the Bermuda cruise that ended 10/26. :D

Like you, I THINK it IS always good to know what to expect. LOL

Come visit our 12/2 roll call now that we are getting closer to cruise time. :)

We would love to have you join in on the fun!

I have been in a few times but I will definitely be dropping in more often in the next 4 weeks or so!!! As you know, I've only cruised twice before and have only experienced slight rocking off Puerto Rico on a couple of nights, nothing like what the Explorer is experiencing at present! Still can't wait and am hoping for good weather to escape the Irish winter!

I have been in a few times but I will definitely be dropping in more often in the next 4 weeks or so!!! As you know, I've only cruised twice before and have only experienced slight rocking off Puerto Rico on a couple of nights, nothing like what the Explorer is experiencing at present! Still can't wait and am hoping for good weather to escape the Irish winter!

We may have some storms but I think I can promise you that it will still be hot. :p

Looking forward to meeting you on Dec. 2.

Can you believe how close it is getting? It seemed like it would never get here, and now that cruise is just right around the corner. :cool:

3:45 Update! The Captain just announced as the storm is so large he has received reports that it is not safe to go into Dominican Republic tomorrow due to weather so..........................we are now headed to St. Maartin! :D YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will dock at 10am and leave at 9pm. Weather forecast for St. Maartin is good! So we are so happy we are going there instead as we love St. Maartin! After that port we will continue on to St. Thomas and San Juan as scheduled! We still have rough seas, high wind gusts and rain throughout the afternoon and evening and we continue to go east away from this storm. We also have thick fog at the moment and the air is very warm and humid. I will say Captain Erik has been doing an excellent job of keeping us informed and also giving us detailed visuals of the storm track on Channel 14 which is an RCCL Tv station of course. No worries mon! We are headed to St. Maartin and we BE happy! :D LOL! By the way all excursions that had been booked in Labadee or DR have been credit to seapass cards.

Oh well now WALKING is a different subject altogether:D You know that well meaning straight line you attempt to walk that somehow ends up in you going to the far left or far right depending which way the ship is leaning. LOL! :p But that's what the rails are for so you can launch yourself off of them hopefully headed in the direction you are trying to go! LOL! I never thought of this as always stay on deck 10 so used to it but for anyone that will stay on deck 10 in the future, should you hit a storm you will hear many different strange sounds from above and that's just from things blowing/moving around the pool decks and nothing to worry about. You will also hear other bizarre sounds no matter where you are located and that is normal as the ship fights her way thru high seas and winds. It may scare some people but really, they are all normal noises due to sailing thru storms so do not worry. :)

Wow that's a nice port substitution! I'm glad that RCCL was able to work that out with St Maarten. :)

As some other people have already commented, the only person who walks straight on a rocking ship is the person who has been imbibing. LOL

And I liked what someone else said, too -- creaks and groans -- Mother Nature is cooperating for your Halloweenie cruise. LOL

Debalex - About the military discount, how did you know it was available on your cruise, had you already booked cruise? or do you have to book it up front as military? I have heard some people say that by booking early it is cheaper than a military discount? Can you do both? We're on Explorer Feb 24th. We usually book a year in advance and I have never been able to figure out if a cruise has military discount. Even tried calling RCI and was told they didn't have that information that far in advance.

Sorry -- It wasn't me that posted the military discount. But the only way I know to find them is to do a little searching on the RCCL Reservations site. You pick a cruise and date and start the reservation process. There is a place to check if you are a senior or military. Then you go on to the next page and it shows all the cabin categories and sometimes you luck out and a discount will be available for a particular type of cabin. :)

Hopefully the person who got the military discount will be able to help more. :)

Just on the news, 20 people dead in Dominican Republic and another 20 missing. God Bless the people of Dominican Republic.

I am so glad that you guys went to St. Martin instead and are safe.

Lynn

I second that!!!!! Enjoy St. Martin instead, and am glad that you are all safe!

We may have some storms but I think I can promise you that it will still be hot. :p

Looking forward to meeting you on Dec. 2.

Can you believe how close it is getting? It seemed like it would never get here, and now that cruise is just right around the corner. :cool:

We only booked this cruise in August and even then it seemed a long way off so I can't believe it's nearly upon us! It's been quite a rough year for us so it'll be a fantastic way to round it off!! I assume you've cruised the Caribbean in winter before? Is it really nice?? What excursions, if any, are you doing??

Hopefully the person who got the military discount will be able to help more. :)

I can answer....We just got the Military Discount on our 12-14-07 Explorer cruise.

Go to the RCCL website and click on "Plan for a Cruise" (top left of page) then you will see a column that reads "Quick Vacation Search" on the right side of the next page that has spaces where you fill in the ship, date, and all info regarding the cruise you would be interested in searching. At the bottom of said column you'll see "Exclusive Rates" and a space where you can check off "55+" and "US military/Canadian". Check appropriate box and you will find out if a discount is allowed on that particular cruise. I've copied the following from RCCL's website:

A: Yes, we do offer special rates on selected sailings for military personnel.

It is important that at least one guest per stateroom be eligible to be considered in compliance with a restricted price program. It is also important to note that non-compliance of the restricted price program terms will result in the reservation being re-priced to the lowest available fare for that particular day. Furthermore, you will be responsible to pay for any differences immediately or else your boarding rights will be denied.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed BLUE Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

Search FAQs

Need help?

If you're having trouble, you can complete our e-mail form and one of our representatives will contact you.

If you prefer, you can call us directly.

Or you may search this site for more information.

Archived