HAL in St. Thomas-- where do they dock?

cnvh

We've never stayed on the ship when it's in port, and we do have one small excursion in town planned for St. Thomas. DH so loves the beach, and so do I(although I'm totally covered in sunscreen and under an umbrella) that it would be hard to convince him to stay aboard in that port.

However, am strongly considering it in Puerto Rico since we have such a short stop and there's not much I want to do there. Maybe we can get a chair at the pool that day?:cool: And then there's always the veranda.

Worst we had was one cruise when everything in the harbor was full.

Outside the entrance there was 5 ships in a line side by side.

The harbor to the left as you enter St Thomas had two ships in it

There was one anchored in the center of the harbor.

Looked at that and spent a nice relaxing day on the ship....

Grand Cayman is another port like that.

Last time we were there the PA system announced that there were 35,000 cruise ship passangers in Grand Cayman that day. Another relaxing day on the ship.

Ruth & Jim

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Worst we had was one cruise when everything in the harbor was full.

Outside the entrance there was 5 ships in a line side by side.

The harbor to the left as you enter St Thomas had two ships in it

There was one anchored in the center of the harbor.

Looked at that and spent a nice relaxing day on the ship....

Grand Cayman is another port like that.

Last time we were there the PA system announced that there were 35,000 cruise ship passangers in Grand Cayman that day. Another relaxing day on the ship.

Ruth & Jim

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope the Zuiderdam is not at anchor on 11/14. :) Our itinerary only has us tendering at HMC, and we're docked at the other ports. I don't have a tour scheduled, but it would be nice to just walk off the ship.

We are arriving at 7:00 am, and someone mentioned on a roll call that we may be there early enough to be docked first.

There will be 5 ships in St. Thomas when we go in February. I can't quite imagine what a zoo it will be, even at the beaches. Anyone have any experience with Emerald Beach which ios close to Crown Bay? I know it's not too far, but I'm worried about finding a cab to take us back to the ship with so many people in town and at other beaches further away and more popular.

I can't help you with Emerald Beach, but I went to Sapphire Beach when there were 6 ships in port. We had no problem getting a cab to go back to the ship.

There will be 5 ships in St. Thomas when we go in February. I can't quite imagine what a zoo it will be, even at the beaches. Anyone have any experience with Emerald Beach which ios close to Crown Bay? I know it's not too far, but I'm worried about finding a cab to take us back to the ship with so many people in town and at other beaches further away and more popular.

We went to Emerald Beach when we were in St. Thomas last year on the Caribbean Princess. We actually walked to the beach from Crown Bay--I really wouldn't recommend that though. It took 20-30 minutes and was rather hot and humid. You can get a taxi to take you there. We got a taxi back to the ship from the beach. You might have to ask someone from the hotel to call a taxi for you--they don't hang out at Emerald Beach like they do at the more popular beaches.

As for the beach itself, it's small and quiet. We enjoyed it very much. The hotel will rent you chairs and you can order food from them as well. It's probably not the prettiest beach on St. Thomas, but still quite nice.

On 11/14 Noordam will dock at Havensight, Westerdam will share Crown Bay with Princess and Zuiderdam and Disney will both anchor. Busy day in town.

Thank you for the information, but I'd also love to know how you figured this out! Are there resources about which the rest of us are unaware? Thanks again!

I hope the Zuiderdam is not at anchor on 11/14. :) Our itinerary only has us tendering at HMC, and we're docked at the other ports. I don't have a tour scheduled, but it would be nice to just walk off the ship.

We are arriving at 7:00 am, and someone mentioned on a roll call that we may be there early enough to be docked first.

St. Thomas rarely indicates tendering on its itinerary. When it is printed far in advance, they have no idea if there will be other ships etc The harbormaster assigns docking. HAL and Princess have a ten year contract to use Crown Bay. They go to anchor or to Havensight if Crown Bay is full.

Time of arrival isn't the factor that determines where you dock/anchor. Size of ship is one of the factors and Zuiderdam, while larger than other non-Vista HAL ships, it is considerably smaller than many other ships belonging to other cruise lines.

Thank you for the information, but I'd also love to know how you figured this out! Are there resources about which the rest of us are unaware? Thanks again!

Yes, I have resources...unfortunately I cannot reveal those. Rest assured though the line-up for HAL on 11/14 is Noordam at Havensight, Westerdam at Crown Bay and Zuiderdam at anchor with Disney.

Yes, I have resources...unfortunately I cannot reveal those. Rest assured though the line-up for HAL on 11/14 is Noordam at Havensight, Westerdam at Crown Bay and Zuiderdam at anchor with Disney.

Noted and thanks again!

I am actually disappointed that the W'dam won't be at anchor, as I will now have to cab or hike for bourbon! The last time I was at Crown Bay, I cabbed round trip with the family, then decided I needed to score a few more old dusty bourbons in town. There were no cabs available the second time, so I hiked it both ways on round two! It's actually doable, and does burn a few calories for the next trip to the Lido!

Thanks again, X, the board needs a deep throat or two and I respect the need to keep sources in confidence. Merci monsieur.

You wouldn't happen to know the line up for 11/21 would you misterX? We will be on the "Z" and hoping that we will not be a Crown Bay:p

Emerald Beach is on LindberghBay and is situated between Crown Bay and the airport. Quite close to the docks you shouldn't have a problem getting transportation. There is a resort called Emerald Beach Resort directly on the beach. I tried unsuccessfully to upload the link, but its a Best Western so you should be able to find it that way. Its a beautiful beach and they might even do 'day pass' for resort facilities. anyone know for sure?

Blue

You wouldn't happen to know the line up for 11/21 would you misterX? We will be on the "Z" and hoping that we will not be a Crown Bay:p

My sources tell me that Z will berth at Crown Bay for all of her remaining 2007 calls with the exception of the 11/14 call when she will anchor.

Good afternoon MisterX:

An inquiring mind would like to ask you a question pertaining to the Noordam especially during its December 27th, stop in St. Thomas. From your pervious post it looks like the Noordam will be docking at Havensight for most of its trips this year. Will the Noordam be at Havensight for this stop also. And the Westerdam an Caribbean Princess be at Crown Bay. Thanks in advance for the information.

Geoffrey

Good afternoon MisterX:

An inquiring mind would like to ask you a question pertaining to the Noordam especially during its December 27th, stop in St. Thomas. From your pervious post it looks like the Noordam will be docking at Havensight for most of its trips this year. Will the Noordam be at Havensight for this stop also. And the Westerdam an Caribbean Princess be at Crown Bay. Thanks in advance for the information.

Geoffrey

Good evening, no, the Noordam is scheduled for Crown Bay on 12/27. Westerdam will be at Havensight that day.

Emerald Beach is on LindberghBay and is situated between Crown Bay and the airport. Quite close to the docks you shouldn't have a problem getting transportation. There is a resort called Emerald Beach Resort directly on the beach. I tried unsuccessfully to upload the link, but its a Best Western so you should be able to find it that way. Its a beautiful beach and they might even do 'day pass' for resort facilities. anyone know for sure?

Blue

You walk right through the hotel lobby to get to the beach. The hotel will rent you a chair. Other than that, there's no charge to use the beach, therefore, no need for a day pass.

You walk right through the hotel lobby to get to the beach. The hotel will rent you a chair. Other than that, there's no charge to use the beach, therefore, no need for a day pass.

How about umbrellas? Do they rent them also at Emerald Beach Resort?

I looked at cruisecal and the site listed 5 ships in St. Thomas for our Nov. 3 sailing of Zuiderdam. We are suppose to dock and Crown Bay, and Freedom of the Seas and Queen Mary 2 will be at Haversight. Is this your information also.

I'm expecting a VERY crowded day in St. Thomas. We have booked a shore excursion through the ship.

I looked at cruisecal and the site listed 5 ships in St. Thomas for our Nov. 3 sailing of Zuiderdam. We are suppose to dock and Crown Bay, and Freedom of the Seas and Queen Mary 2 will be at Haversight. Is this your information also.

I'm expecting a VERY crowded day in St. Thomas. We have booked a shore excursion through the ship.

If the QM 2 is to berth in St. Thomas her only option would be Crown Bay, on the South berth.

The day we are scheduled to be in St. Thomas on Maasdam, the only other ship in that day is Serenade of the Sea. So I guess, Serenade will have Havensight to herself and we get stuck at Crown Bay. :( What a tease. Two empty docks at Havensight.

Archived