HAL in St. Thomas-- where do they dock?

cnvh

Don't recall exactly where Havensight is located, but isn't it only a short cab ride over there? I thought it was downtown Charlotte Amalie. We did dock there several years ago. Last year was the first time we were at Crown Bay. There still aren't many stores there. It's kind of out of the way.

I'm thinking of dragging a beach umbrella with us on this trip. I'm going to need it for Grand Turk Inn which doesn't supply them anyway. Haven't told DH yet, but maybe I need to talk to Ruth and Jim. Or at least show DH their parked car.:D

Don't recall exactly where Havensight is located, but isn't it only a short cab ride over there? I thought it was downtown Charlotte Amalie. We did dock there several years ago. Last year was the first time we were at Crown Bay. There still aren't many stores there. It's kind of out of the way.

Havensight is about 2 to 2 1/2 miles from the center of downtown Charlotte Amalie. Crown Bay is on the other side of the downtown. We used to walk from Havensight to downtown and enjoyed the walk. There are loads of jitney taxis and vans always available to take people back and forth. There are tons of shops at Havensight and if all you want to do in St. Thomas is shop, many folks stay and shop right there.

There are a few shops at Crown Bay but nothing like Havensight. It isn't a pleasant or really safe walk to town from there IMO

My disappointment is because next to Havensight on the way to town, a very large Marina complex was being built. We have been told there are going to be some fabulous, upscale shops there I would like to visit. If we were docked at Havensight and walked by, it would be pleasant to stop in IF they are ready yet.....which I don't know.

The only way to get there from Crown Bay is taxi and it's a fair distance with no other reason for going IMO. A time/money waster to take a quick peek and maybe find it is still under construction or if completed, of little or no interest to us.

Oh well.... I suppose that is the biggest problem anyone should ever have. :)

My disappointment is because next to Havensight on the way to town, a very large Marina complex was being built. We have been told there are going to be some fabulous, upscale shops there I would like to visit. If we were docked at Havensight and walked by, it would be pleasant to stop in IF they are ready yet.....which I don't know.

Sail - My tour around St Thomas last Sunday included a drive by the marina complex. It looked like it was open for business, if not it is very close. I have someone I can call if you would like confirmation.

Rich

Rich,

Thank you. It would be wonderful if you don't mind making that call. I'd be annoyed to waste half our morning going over there to find nothing of interest. We were told there would be a Gucci, Louis Vuitton....high end shops. I'd love to look. Probably wouldn't buy much ;) but I love to browse.

If it is convenient for you to find out, that would be great.

Rich,

Thank you. It would be wonderful if you don't mind making that call. I'd be annoyed to waste half our morning going over there to find nothing of interest. We were told there would be a Gucci, Louis Vuitton....high end shops. I'd love to look. Probably wouldn't buy much ;) but I love to browse.

My friend didn't answer just yet (might be working), but I did find this --

http://www.yachthavengrande.com/

If you have any more questions, I will direct them toward STT. Send me an e-mail or through this thread.

Rich

Rich,

I just got a hold of my friend in St Thomas. According to him there are 6 or 7 shops open, with others opening regularly. You will find, I am sure, at least a few shops of interest to look at.

Rich

We were on the "Noordam" this past March and docked at Crown Point. We were very disappointed as Havensight is so convenient to everything. Lots of shopping, Post Office etc. Nothing much was opened at Crown Point and it was a much longer ride into Charlotte Amalie. Prefer Havensight myself. We were on Carnival Miracle out of NYC this past Sept. and docked in Havensight.

What a difference in convenience for passengers.

Sadly, the New York area is pricing cruising right out of the market. Take a look at NCL's GEM pricing vs HAL's for instance (or even RCCL out of Bayonne). One can book a cruise out of Florida with only a $103 r/t plane ride to FLL. It's more profitable for the cruise lines to port out of Fl than NY. I don't believe anything has to do with if some folks like flying or not. Regarding St. Thomas & Crown Point, there's still a lot of annimosity over the piers shops. The towns people are rebelling that the shops at Crown Point will take away from their profits. As to where one "parks" in St. Thomas is usually determined by ship size, arrival/departure times and other situations. For instance, our arrival on 2/12/08 (Noordam) will also have the QE2 and Carnivals Triumph arriving on the same day. I'd say it's just a "flip of the coin" (unless anyone knows for sure).

Sadly, the New York area is pricing cruising right out of the market. Take a look at NCL's GEM pricing vs HAL's for instance (or even RCCL out of Bayonne). One can book a cruise out of Florida with only a $103 r/t plane ride to FLL. It's more profitable for the cruise lines to port out of Fl than NY. I don't believe anything has to do with if some folks like flying or not. Regarding St. Thomas & Crown Point, there's still a lot of annimosity over the piers shops. The towns people are rebelling that the shops at Crown Point will take away from their profits. As to where one "parks" in St. Thomas is usually determined by ship size, arrival/departure times and other situations. For instance, our arrival on 2/12/08 (Noordam) will also have the QE2 and Carnivals Triumph arriving on the same day. I'd say it's just a "flip of the coin" (unless anyone knows for sure).

You may wish to read through threads here that discuss the fact both Princess and HAL signed ten year contracts for their ships to dock (most of the time) at Crown Bay. There are only three docking spaces at Crown Bay so if there are more than three Princess/HAL ships (combined) in St. Thomas on the same day, one or more of the ships will have to anchor or go to Havensight if there is space available.

Sail - My tour around St Thomas last Sunday included a drive by the marina complex. It looked like it was open for business, if not it is very close. I have someone I can call if you would like confirmation.

Rich

Hi Rich.....

I wondered if you were able to confirm with your contact whether the shops at the Marina are all open yet?

Thank you.

Hi Rich.....

I wondered if you were able to confirm with your contact whether the shops at the Marina are all open yet?

Thank you.

I was not able to get in touch with him til yesterday. He said that 6 or 7 shops are open and construction continues with additional stores scheduled to open shortly. In addition, the web site for the marina is

http://www.yachthavengrande.com/

Rich

Archived