HAL in St. Thomas-- where do they dock?

cnvh

Continental, for one, also check Jet Blue and Air Tran.

I have to to to NY on business first week in Jan - $124.00 Orlando/EWR .

When I last checked, there were no cruises out of Orlando.:rolleyes: Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale.

You may wish to read through threads here that discuss the fact both Princess and HAL signed ten year contracts for their ships to dock (most of the time) at Crown Bay. There are only three docking spaces at Crown Bay so if there are more than three Princess/HAL ships (combined) in St. Thomas on the same day, one or more of the ships will have to anchor or go to Havensight if there is space available.

That's very interesting being that Carnival Corp. is the one building Crown Point's shops (like they did in Grand Turk). I also didn't realize that Crown Point had three docking areas. When we pulled in on the Crown Princess, there didn't appear to be enough room to slide a bannana in anywhere else. Has anyone ever seen more than one ship docked there? Anyhoo, as for airfares to/from the North East to Florida, I just received the airfares from Travelocity. From Philly to FLL showed $103 r/t (to Miami was higher). When you do your searches, click on "flexible". At times you can luck out and get cheaper flights right around (or on) your desired dates.

That's very interesting being that Carnival Corp. is the one building Crown Point's shops (like they did in Grand Turk). I also didn't realize that Crown Point had three docking areas. When we pulled in on the Crown Princess, there didn't appear to be enough room to slide a bannana in anywhere else. Has anyone ever seen more than one ship docked there? Anyhoo, as for airfares to/from the North East to Florida, I just received the airfares from Travelocity. From Philly to FLL showed $103 r/t (to Miami was higher). When you do your searches, click on "flexible". At times you can luck out and get cheaper flights right around (or on) your desired dates.

Crown Bay or Crown Point as you call it, formerly known as the Sub base, only has two berths for cruise ships the size of Holland America's, Crown Bay North and Crown Bay South. There is a cargo berth with limited draught as well as a berth for much smaller passenger ships. (max draught 18 feet or so)

Thanks much for the kind reply. As mentioned, it didn't appear that too large of ship could fit anywhere else besides the side we were on. We weren't sure of the depths either. Interesting information, thanks again!

Cruisecal has now added a 6th ship to dock with us in St. Thomas in February. All are listed as arriving at 7am. SHould be very interesting, to say the least.

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Triumph

Costa Fortuna

Queen Mary 2

Noordam

RCL Jewel of the Sea

All those passengers should keep all the shop keepers happy if they can all make their way to town. Taxis will have quite a day.

That sure is a busy day in St. Thomas. We've been there a few times with that many ships and Main Street is shoulder to shoulder. :) If you want lunch downtown, I suggest you stop in early in the morning and make a reservation or you may have trouble getting a table at some of the favorite spots.

Well, Sail, not really interested in getting lunch, I don't think. We have one stop to make in town and then would like to go to the beach. What chance do I have of getting a taxi to take us from Charlotte Amalie to Emerald Beach where there is a private resort and beach not too far from Crown Bay? I have the feeling no one will want to take us in that direction and DH will not be happy without his afternoon at the beach. If we get lucky enough to get there, I think we'll have the resort call us a taxi back to the ship around 3pm for a 5pm sailaway. Otherwise I'll be sleeping on the beach.:D

That many people might sink the island.:eek:

B y the way, where do you suggest for lunch?

If I might add to this. Taxi drivers in St Thomas are members of an association, but seem to be basically independant. Most, if not all, have cell phones. My cell service, and others, includes St Thomas. When you get off the ship there will be a bunch of taxis lined up, with the drivers milling around. Find one and tell him what you want to do. He will quote you a price and you can get his cell phone number to call when you are ready to leave the beach, or you can arrange a time for him to return.

Rich

What a great idea, Rich. If we go to the beach, that is exactly what we will do.

I am waiting to learn if the Yacht Haven shops will be open on Sunday when Maasdam is in St. Thomas. If they are, we might go there, return to the ship, change and go to the beach.

If they are closed on Sunday, we may just go directly to the beach.

Your cell phone idea is perfect.

Carol,

;) The restaurants are very small....... we want to be able to get a table. :D

I'm being selfish. :(

If I might add to this. Taxi drivers in St Thomas are members of an association, but seem to be basically independant. Most, if not all, have cell phones. My cell service, and others, includes St Thomas. When you get off the ship there will be a bunch of taxis lined up, with the drivers milling around. Find one and tell him what you want to do. He will quote you a price and you can get his cell phone number to call when you are ready to leave the beach, or you can arrange a time for him to return.

Rich

Be very careful about doing this. He may not show up to pick you up. People have had some problems with this before.

As for Crown Bay, I much prefer Havensight. There is not much in the vicinity of Crown Bay and although there are many cabs there, you will find yourself waiting for awhile until the cab driver can jam as many people into the bus as possible. So until he shoe horns that final person in, you could be sitting there for 30 minutes.:mad:

As for Crown Bay, I much prefer Havensight. There is not much in the vicinity of Crown Bay and although there are many cabs there, you will find yourself waiting for awhile until the cab driver can jam as many people into the bus as possible. So until he shoe horns that final person in, you could be sitting there for 30 minutes.:mad:

You're right about this in terms of going downtown.

There will be other taxis (jitneys) waiting to take people to the beaches. They sort out rather quickly and the beach/tour taxis seem to take off within a reasonable time. But you're right.... they want to squeeze as many in as they can.

Be very careful about doing this. He may not show up to pick you up. People have had some problems with this before.

I am not sure where you might have had problems, but each time, except two weeks ago, I have done this I have had a cab (van) to myself. Two weeks ago I asked my tablemates to accompany me and they accepted. One driver I have used three times and two other drivers once each. Talk to the driver and make sure you are comfortable with him. If you would like a contact, email me.

As far as the marina shops are concerned, I am told they are open on Sundays.

Rich

As far as the marina shops are concerned, I am told they are open on Sundays.

Rich

REALLY??? You have been told they will be open Sunday? My DH has been trying to contact people we know in St. Thomas to inquire and has not been able to get reliable info.

I hate to waste the time dragging over there in a taxi only to find them closed. We know downtown closes between 12 noon and 1 on Sundays so were leery about the Marina shops.

REALLY??? You have been told they will be open Sunday? My DH has been trying to contact people we know in St. Thomas to inquire and has not been able to get reliable info.

I hate to waste the time dragging over there in a taxi only to find them closed. We know downtown closes between 12 noon and 1 on Sundays so were leery about the Marina shops.

I contacted my friend in St Thomas just a few minutes before I posted and asked if the shops were open on Sundays and was told yes. I did not inquire about hours they might be open.

Rich

Archived