what not to miss on a cruise?

Fyly

Ice cream and bread pudding (with the must have warm vanilla sauce)... yumm! Our schedule didn't work out for our next sailing to be with HAL, but we sure wish it had! We're still fussing about missing out on the ice cream and bread pudding.

I also agree on the Nasi Goreng! yummy, too!

Without looking it up, I'm guessing W'dam is sailing Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. Watch the water. Find a quiet spot (balcony if you have one) and watch. Look for the color to change from the dun color near port to star sapphire and then tourquoise as you head south and into the Caribbean.

Look for the flying fish; watch as the ship's wake spreads out -- the fish sense the pressure and think it is a predator and take to the air. If you are very lucky, go to where you can see the bow or near it and maybe, just maybe, you will see dolphins dancing and playing in the bow wake. It may be a stretch to attribute human attitudes like "dance" and "play" to a marine mammal, but I can't think of better words to describe what seems to me the joy they take in their movements!

Get up before dawn and go to the eastern side of the ship to watch the sunrises; they are often spectacular. If you find yourself near sunset at sea on a day with clear air and no clouds on the horizon, watch (carefully) to the west as the sun sets; again if you are very lucky, you may see the green flash. It is real, and not just an old sea story (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash or if you are really into it http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/). As the sun sets on a true horizon, its color will climb through the spectrum and the final flash as it disappears below the horizon is the most beautiful emerald green light. The flash is also possible at sunrise, but it happens very fast and unless you are looking at exactly the right spot, it is easy to miss. Sunset is easier because you know exactly where the sun is and when it is almost set. Even if the flash does not occur, the sight of sunset at sea is awesome to me, and you may find it worthwhile as well.

Dave

Ahoy!

I agree with most of the previous posts. I also find adjusting my camera (F stop, zoom and that sort of thing) on the 'topless deck' an advantage to creating quality pictures for family and friends.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

The stars - don't miss the stars at night! There are more than you will ever imagine! Go on deck - you'll be surprised how many people are not out there - sometimes it's like your alone. Amazing!

Double rainbows that is if you are lucky enough to catch some rain in the distance.

Of course a sunrise and a sunset!

Stars, you'll be able to see the milky way among other things

Double rainbows, absolutely. If it's a moonlit night, and a rainshower occurs, you may be really lucky and see a moonbow (rainbow from moonlight)

Sunsets: if you're really lucky, you might even see the green flash, this occurs if the horizon is really clear (typically when the sun is not 'red'). Just after the sun sets below the horizon you will see a small 'flash' of green light. Really cool!

By sheer coincidence, we were IN a glass elevator JUST as the sun disappeared into the sea...............spectacular. Try to be IN one at sunset.........what a treat. :)

Be sure to not only "notice" all the art, sculptures, etc. on the ship.......make some time to do a field trip to really look at ALL of them. Besides the IPOD tour, there's usually a large book that tells about each piece.

Just outside the upper dining room in the .........?.......... lounge they have truffles, chocolates, etc. sitting there after dinner............grab one or two on your way to the show. ;)

Bread pudding in Lido at lunch............muesli at breakfast.............

cappaccino bombe dessert at dinner in the DR..........

Club sandwich from the room service menu.............someone recommended that to us and it's DELICIOUS...........

Just keep walking and walking so you see the WHOLE ship............if you do this the first day or so, you're set and you (maybe) won't get lost.:rolleyes:

ENJOY!!

You will be planning your next cruise as soon as you get home.

thank you! I love all those :-)

I had no idea about the Indonesian food.

Fyly

Make sure you pay a visit to the "Future Cruise Bookings" desk. You are going to love the Westerdam, and you'll be wanting to book another cruise while onboard!!! Welcome to the land of the addicted!

Unfortunately, I missed many of the above things when I took my first HAL cruise on the Westerdam last month, but I've already got another one booked so.... I won't miss them again. Here's my suggestions:

Thermal suite and hydropool pass - get one for one day (a sea day) for $40 a person or for the whole week for $139 for one or $250 for a couple. The hydropool is like a gentle weightless massage and the ceramic loungers in the thermal suite are the BEST places to nap (thanks Merced Mike)

Kory Simon in the piano bar. This young man is terrific and will ensure that you have an entertaining evening. The white russians are excellent in that bar as well.

Your CC roll call and the meet and greet onboard. Wonderful people who love to cruise and talk about cruising. Great sources of information.

A stop by the table of the yum yum man outside the main dining room after your meal. Delicious mints.

Have a super cruise!!

[quote name='lorekauf']Love that sambel.....go through lots of it at home. It's so good but really hot![/QUOTE]

We were thinking of bringing our own, as we do on other cruises. We may bring some anyway, just "in case". Can't be without it.

Fyly:
My partner and I sailed on the Westerdam last October and loved it. Loved it so much that we will be on the same sailing with you in just about 4 weeks.

Some of the things that we enjoyed:

Yum Yum Man - Do not miss the Yum Yum Man on your way out of dinner in the Vista. We don't know how, but this delightful gentleman knew our names after the first night.

Entire Ship - We did a deck or two each day and went over the entire ship. Since it was our first cruise we wanted to see the whole ship and we walked from bow to stern on each public deck (even those that were only cabins).

Dining - Have a meal at the Pinnacle Grill. It was a great diversion. Also, do not miss the special nights in the Vista Dining Room - Formal nights, Dutch night. It was rather funny that on Dutch night we walked into the dining room and wondered why the women had their napkins on their heads...until we realized what it was. Also...do not miss the special non-dining room events like the Dessert Extravaganza and any special meals that they may have. The bottom line it that (as I'm sure you're probably heard) you can just eat your way through the cruise and don't be afraid to do so. Try everything even if it is just a bite.

Lastly - Don't be afraid to talk to anyone. Everyone is there to relax and have a great time, so don't be afraid to talk with anyone else. Don't let anyone bother you either...just relax and have an awesome time!!

Looking forward to meeting you perhaps at the Meet & Greet.

Get involved in something you would never do at home!!!! Enter a shuffleboard tournament, do the trivia games, play Bingo, learn to line dance, watch the cooking demos! There is so much available - do something different!!! IT'S ALL FUN - Laughter adds years to your life. Go, have fun!!!

[B]SeaVoyage...... I'm not an Optomitrist or Othomologist but we've looked at the sun setting many times at sea and have never suffered any eye damage watching that beautiful sight. When the sun is setting, it is low in the sky as it sets into the horizon.[/B]

[quote name='Cruising-along']The dessert and/or chocolate extravaganza!!! It's a work of art even if you don't eat much of it :p[/QUOTE]
To add on to this. Bring your camera and go early. There are great pictures to be had but you need to get there before the eating frenzy.. LOL

Linda

What great suggestions! We're leaving for our first HAL cruise this coming Sunday on the Westerdam and will get to try out some of these wonderful ideas. Indonesian food and yummy bread pudding sound great to me. But that means I'm going to have to check out (and use) the gym. Does anyone know about the gym facilities on the Westerdam? Thanks.

Sheila

Archived