• Seeing your cabin for the first time
    • Sailaway
    • The dining room
    • Sailing into port
    • Shore excursions
    • Entertainment
    • Other: please post it!

• 3 weeks later...

It's very hard for me to choose between walking across the gangway and the anticipation of the cruise. I will never forget on my first cruise how exciting it was to walk aboard the ship, so I believe that is my choice. :)

That memory will always be with me and the great excitement it brought!

It's very hard for me to choose between walking across the gangway and the anticipation of the cruise. I will never forget on my first cruise how exciting it was to walk aboard the ship, so I believe that is my choice. :)

That memory will always be with me and the great excitement it brought!

Ours as well.

When we look out our window in our Ft. Lauderdale hotel and see our ship waiting for us, what a feeling. But as cruz4evr said, after checking in and leaving the omnipresent photographer and taking the wonderful walk up the gangway to see the absolutely gorgeous flower arrangement and vase complementing the absolutely gorgeous entry foyer. Then the staff waiting in militarily precise uniforms and white gloves...WOW! Pure heaven.

The second (a very close second) most memorable moment is when we go to the Sky Deck and stand under the funnel at sail away...and that overwhelming chill that comes when the Captain blows the ship's horn that vibrates us and the ship and tells us we're under way.

We really don't want that feeling to end, even when we sail past the condos on the Port side with everyone waving to us and finally go out to sea and see land slipping slowly into the horizon.

It's almost anti climatic leaving the deck and returning to our stateroom to get ready for dinner.

Arriving at the port and seeing the Ship waiting for me, and knowing that the cruise is ready to begin.

My first cruise ship was the aircraft carrier CVA62 Independence, what an impression that ship made upon seeing it for the first time.

I also agree with Rev. Neal on the majesty of being at sea.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses and it has brought back such wonderful memories of our cruises. We're booked for our 7th cruise in March and I am so grateful for the ability to travel this way. I remember our first cruise (Alaska in '99) and how amazed I was at the size of the ship and how beautiful it was. So, for me walking up the gangway and entering the ship remains the highlight of every cruise. Perhaps that's because we've been on 6 (soon to be 7) different ships so each view is different and I'm never sure exactly what to expect. Reading this has also heightened my excitement (if that's possible) about going in about a month. Thanks for sharing.

This was a difficult choice for me, as well. I said anticipation, and that is a big part of it, but I wish I had said the first time you see the ship or walking up the gangway. Those two moments take my breath away. I recall our last cruise and going up the gangway. I savored ever second and every sound. I almost wiggled out of my skin, I was so excited. And the sound of the card swipes as you approach is a symphony, with your own card being the height of the crescendo. And then, you are home.

after that it's all downhill lol

actually for me it is each sailaway from port

I agree - sail IN and Sail OUT are both big highlights. I am always up to watch us sail in because sometimes we are at dinner during sailaway.

Thank you for this terrific thread. My personal favorite is standing on the balcony (aft whenever possible), and listening as the sound of the wake changes as we offload the pilot and gradually pick up speed. Underway at last!

This is all about the magic and romance of the sea, though. It was wonderful to read what everyone posted, you can tell that cruising brings out the heart and soul and best in all of us.

May we all cruise well and often!

This was a difficult choice for me, as well. I said anticipation, and that is a big part of it, but I wish I had said the first time you see the ship or walking up the gangway. Those two moments take my breath away. I recall our last cruise and going up the gangway. I savored ever second and every sound. I almost wiggled out of my skin, I was so excited. And the sound of the card swipes as you approach is a symphony, with your own card being the height of the crescendo. And then, you are home.

I couldn't have said that any better. A perfect description of my feelings. And I',, "be home" in three days.

Up in the Crow's Nest, sipping our frozen drinks at sail away, watching the N.Y. skyline get smaller & smaller, while passing the Statue of Liberty & going under the Verrizzano Bridge:):):) that to us is pure bliss:)

I'm with you Lynne...it gives me goose bumps to sail pass the State of Liberty and under the Verrizzano Bridge!

That's one reason why we're doing the Noordam again next week!

Being at sea on the uppermost outside forward deck, is a huge favorite. I hate it when they make me leave the deck because it gets too windy some times. a lot of ships have added Plexiglas now and it just isn't the same without the wind.

Is the Maasdam still "open"? Sailing out of Bar Harbor was quite windy the day I was there.

Totally agree. The anticipation is great and it lasts a long time. I feel sort of empty right now because I have nothing booked.

My daughter was accepted to be a holiday Club HAL worker, but her schedule didn't permit it at the time. They told her they would put her name in the permanent file. I'm hoping she chooses HAL as her employer. As soon as she knows which ship she will be on, DH and I are booking the Christmas cruise.

It is hard to choose! Anticipation is certainly right up there (and boy, is this thread fueling mine!), because it lasts so long and -- at the moment, for instance -- is getting me through a too-long, too-snowy winter.

But numero uno is probably casting off and sailaway, preferably watched while sipping a classic martini!

Freedom 55, I have to ask - is that a Packers logo with your signature??

The last port of the Rotterdam 1998 RTW cruise was Nuku Hiva. As we left for Los Angeles, the captain played Sarah Brightman singing "It's time to say goodbye" and I stood on the balcony, watched the sun reflected on the low hills and was filled with wonder and joy. I still when unable to sleep or am depressed, bring back that few minutes and am glad.

Awesome thread!

My most favorite cruise moment was standing on our W'dam balcony with my husband, parents and three kids (10, 12 & 14) and watching their faces as the pilot swung our ship around to face the Hubbard Glacier in Alaska - wow - what a moment!

• 2 weeks later...

I am from a small community in Vermont. Our first cruise was in March of 2005 out of Tampa on the Veendam. I have to say, seeing the ships for the first time left me in awe! And then, at the first Port being next to the Veendam and realizing that we were on her was just amazing. Now, this is our 3rd cruise and the second on the Veendam. I have no desire to cruise on the super huge ships..............I love the glamour and intimacy of the smaller fleet. I still am in awe of all the places I have now been thanks to cruising! It is the only way to vacation!:cool:

I voted a while ago that my favorite cruise moment was walking across the gangway. Having just returned from the Noodam, I have to say, that as I crossed onto the ship, I looked at DH, got all choked up, and said, "We're really here". That's the best moment.

Archived