• Walking across the gangway and into the ship
    • Seeing your cabin for the first time
    • Sailaway
    • The dining room
    • Sailing into port
    • Shore excursions
    • Entertainment
    • Other: please post it!

I know they are all good but what is the best of the best?

Finally a screen name that is self-explanatory-----for a Canuck at least!!!!

My favourite cruise moment is sitting down to that first elegant dinner that I don't have to cook!! A close second is exploring the ship for the first time.

Finally a screen name that is self-explanatory-----for a Canuck at least!!!!

My favourite cruise moment is sitting down to that first elegant dinner that I don't have to cook!! A close second is exploring the ship for the first time.

LOL - glad I am self-explanatory! (what did I explain?)

For me, it is sailaway, particularly if leaving from a finger pier, like Pier 35 in San Francisco.

Three blasts from the whistle (horn) as the ship slips her lines, and backs into the channel.

Brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat every time!

Brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat every time!
Maybe it's that anchovy, garlic, and jalapeno sandwich you made up in the Lido as a sailaway snack! :D

I think crossing the gangway is primo for me. Now I'm THERE!

For me, it has to be seeing the ship for the first time. In Fort Lauderdale, driving along the pier in a taxi, looking at all the huge ships lined up and trying to identify the Coral Princess, waiting for me to board for my very first cruise experience :) . In San Diego, walking out the front door of the Holiday Inn at 6:30 a.m. and seeing the Zaandam all lit up, waiting for me to board :) . In New York, turning the corner in the taxi and seeing the Noordam in all her glory, just waiting for me to board :).

The only comparable moment for me is the first time on each cruise when I hear the chimes of the announcement bells :D . Loved hearing the "When you wish upon a star" chimes from a nearby Disney ship in the harbour in St. Thomas!

Bonnie

As much as I enjoy walking across the gangway and boarding the ship, it has to come a close second to the following:

Sea days, walking the Promenade deck and standing out on a forward observation deck, enjoying the view. God's glorious creation is a wonder to behold.

LOL - glad I am self-explanatory! (what did I explain?)

I thought the name was derived from the commercial offered by a well known Canadian Financial institution that touted their "Feedom 55" programme as a route to retiring at age 55 with the freedom to do as one wishes. We often hear people joking about aspiring to "Freedom 75" or "85".----so I thought you were aspiring to "55". Now you have me curious----What does the name mean?

My favorite is crossing the gangway, boarding the ship and hearing the "ding-ding" as my card is swiped. I turn to the security agent handing my card back, smile brightly and say "Hi Honey, I'm home!" That generally brings a smile to most of them - though not all.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I thought the name was derived from the commercial offered by a well known Canadian Financial institution that touted their "Feedom 55" programme as a route to retiring at age 55 with the freedom to do as one wishes. We often hear people joking about aspiring to "Freedom 75" or "85".----so I thought you were aspiring to "55". Now you have me curious----What does the name mean?

I work for Freedom 55 Financial. I am 53, and not quite "free" LOL

Definitely stepping from the gangway onto the ship's deck. It's like stepping into a fantasy world where I can put everything aside for a few days (or more) and recharge the batteries.

The second best thing is my early morning walk around the promenade deck. I do it for excerise, but the view is spectacular.

I had to vote for Crossing the Gangway and hearing the first "beep" of your card being scanned:D, all the antispation and seeing the ship for the first time is right up there as well.

But now along with the Best of hearing that "Beep" of your card beeing scanned the saddest moment is hearing it scanned your final time as you disembark:(

For me, it's not just one thing. First, it's all the anticipation that makes me so excited. Then, it's pulling up to the pier and crossing that gangway. Then, I know I'm home. Next comes sail away as I lean over and watch the ship being untied and know we're on our way.

From then on, it's watching the ocean, breathing in the fresh air, feeling the freedom, and knowing that the ship will be my home for a while. I could care less about the ports, the shows, the entertainment, etc. Just put me on the ship in the middle of the ocean. And let that ship's horn sound!

I have this hard knot in my left shoulder that gets worse as stress increases. I always, always have it, and have had it for 40 years, so I call it the "perma-knot"--drugs, massage, acupuncture--nothing can get it out.

At some point on my cruise, when I am usually just sitting on the deck staring at the water, I realize that the knot is gone. It will be back, but for a few blissful days I am pain free.

I have this hard knot in my left shoulder that gets worse as stress increases. I always, always have it, and have had it for 40 years, so I call it the "perma-knot"--drugs, massage, acupuncture--nothing can get it out.

At some point on my cruise, when I am usually just sitting on the deck staring at the water, I realize that the knot is gone. It will be back, but for a few blissful days I am pain free.

What a neat story! :) That made me smile!

I notice that my arthritis is non-existant, as is fibro myalgia during ANY vacation. Thus, I travel extensively! ;)

(Seriously, though.... it makes one question modern diagnoses and medications.... heck.... I'll just keep on vacationing!) :)

Can you say "Permanent Cruising" ? LOL

Archived