Grand Circle stranded passengers?

fritokc

Booked on 12/11 Christmas mkts on Rhine with GCT. Delta airlines canceled flights 12/11 due to weather, rebooked 12/12. GCT repr says that is OUR responsibility to get to the ship when we arrive in Basel a day late and that possibly NO ONE will be there to assist us? Supposedly we have to find our way to the ship which will NOT be in Basel and he suggested we look into the Eurail schedule!! Return phone call to GCT rec'd same info. We thought you booked air using the company in order to insure that you were at least 'helped' to get to the ship. any ideas????

chk with user steamboats --she lives in europe and has extensive knowledge

I would not expect much help or reimbursement from GCT without many phone calls.They will then state they consider it a successful trip and you will get no extras.

Year we did a 14 day GCT european cruise with grand circle.We did a pre and post package through them including air.When we met our friends on board we realized the post tour ended in Brussel but we only had air ticket from amterdam to detroit.We had paid for all flights.We worked with onboard tour directors(who originally told us it was not their reponsibility or job)..2 weeks on the ship working through the directors the boston office agreed they owed us tickets.We were told they would be waiting at the airport(we had no other choice)..We went to brussels airport expectings tickets to fly to amsterdam.The tickets were there but not paid for..We paid for the tickets again.We were reimbursed--after much arguing--when we returned home.

They gave us a small amt on future cruise which expired after1 year..Also for each trip you receive small amt off future cruise--which also expires in 1 year

Even with all the problems and poor customer service it was a wonderful trip

It just amazes me that people continue to do business with a company that has such terrible customer service.There has been many posts on here regarding the lack of interest that GCT has in their clients yet people continue to travel with them. I don't get it.:confused:

We were on a land tour with Overseas Adventure Travel (part of GCT) in April in South America. One couple missed a connection and arrived a day late. An OAT rep met them at the airport and took them to the hotel. We went by the hotel and picked them up after they had a chance to relax a little while.

I looked at your itinerary and your ship should either be in Breisach or Strasbourg. Ask GCT where it will be on 13 December, or look at your itinerary.

I am assuming you are on a Delta flight into Zürich. In Zürich airport, go downstairs to the stations and take the next train to Basel SBB station - they go every hour or so and take about an hour. When you get to Basel, if you want to go to Breisach you have trains every hour and you will have to change but they will tell you where...the total journey takes just under 2 hours and sometimes, depending on the schedule, 1 and a half hours.

If you have to go to Strasbourg the train takes an hour and they go every hour from Basel SBB station. So with luck, if you arrive in Zürich early tomorrow morning, you will be on your ship by lunch time.

People at the Swiss railway stations speak English so don't panic!! So do a lot of the conductors on the trains. That said, if you are going to Strasbourg you may well be on a French train (out of Basel station) and the French conductors don't always speak English.

In Switzerland you will need Swiss francs. But you can use your credit card to pay for your tickets either at the station ticket office OR on the train. In France you will need Euros.

Once you get to either Strasbourg or Breisach, take a taxi to your ship.

Hope this helps - bad weather can happen to anyone, but GCT should have had this information for you! We have had terrible weather here in Switzerland too - oodles of snow! But good weather is forecast for the next 5 days or so, so Swiss sunshine will welcome you.

Hambagahle explained what to do and I hope that fritokc was able to read it in time as I assume he/she must be at the airport already.

IMHO it´s absolutely inacceptable to tell a customer who has purchased the flights and of course the transfers with a company is told to take care of himself and find his own way to the ship when he´s missing the ship without his fault. That´s not the way customer service is expected to be. Anyway there is no other option because of the time factor than to do it on your own. I´d definitely collect all receipts for cab rides, train tickets and then present them to the cruise director and GCT when returning back home and claiming a refund. Of course GCT is not responsible for a change in the flight schedules or bad weather. But also purchased the transfers and they should assist you with that.

steamboats

What a mess! It shows the company you book with makes a big difference. Also, I always recommend for all travelers overseas and/or on cruises that travelers buy trip insurance. They will help you if there are misconnections, flight delays, medical problems, etc. to get you to your ship the best & most expeditious way. And you have a sympathetic, knowledgeable person to talk to. TT

What a mess! It shows the company you book with makes a big difference. Also, I always recommend for all travelers overseas and/or on cruises that travelers buy trip insurance. They will help you if there are misconnections, flight delays, medical problems, etc. to get you to your ship the best & most expeditious way. And you have a sympathetic, knowledgeable person to talk to. TT

TT,

No question, travel insurance is a must for any trip like this.

Several years ago we traveled with Grand Circle. We had problems from day one. When we called them we were often put on hold for as much as 30 minutes. When we reserved the trip we booked the entire trip including air with another couple going with us. When we got our documents they had us leaving on different flights and connecting in different cities. It took many phone calls to settle that problem. Then our documents were not sent when promised and we got them only 4 days before we were to leave.

We did not get the early dinner seating on the cruise as we requested over 6 months in advance.

But the real problem was the day of departure. Our ship was in port early in AM and when we got off we waited over 2 hours for our included transfers to the airport. That never did show up and at the last minute we paid cab fare to get to the air port. I sent to GC the receipts and never got any sort of an answer.

They did have 2 of their representatives on the trip with us and they got off the ship very early that morning and were not around to help us in any way.

I would think they should not leave until all of our group was taken care off.

I will never travel with them again!!

Several years ago we traveled with Grand Circle. We had problems from day one. When we called them we were often put on hold for as much as 30 minutes. When we reserved the trip we booked the entire trip including air with another couple going with us. When we got our documents they had us leaving on different flights and connecting in different cities. It took many phone calls to settle that problem. Then our documents were not sent when promised and we got them only 4 days before we were to leave.

We did not get the early dinner seating on the cruise as we requested over 6 months in advance.

But the real problem was the day of departure. Our ship was in port early in AM and when we got off we waited over 2 hours for our included transfers to the airport. That never did show up and at the last minute we paid cab fare to get to the air port. I sent to GC the receipts and never got any sort of an answer.

They did have 2 of their representatives on the trip with us and they got off the ship very early that morning and were not around to help us in any way.

I would think they should not leave until all of our group was taken care off.

I will never travel with them again!!

Sorry fritokc had such a problem. I just find that so hard to believe. I've traveled with GCT 4 times and have another scheduled. So far all my trips and communications have been exceptional. No problems. It only takes "one bad egg to spoil the batch" so they say. Unfortunately, fritokc met the "bad egg". Hope the trip ends better than it started.

I have been on 9 GCT trips and have had a few airline problems. Their travel documents state that they are not responsible for airline cancellations or any cost associated with them. While I don't agree with this, it is nothing new. I checked on other river cruise websites and their policy is pretty much the same. When it comes to air travel we are all pretty much held hostage...that is one reason I alwsay buy travel insurance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it not the same policy with all the big ocean cruise lines, i.e. even if you book air through them, if the flight is delayed or cancelled and you are forced to fly out the next day then you must find your own way from the port city to the ship's next location at your own expense? Travel insurance covers all that of course, but if you didn't purchase any then I believe you are out of luck.

Travel insurance might cover the expenses but they don´t "cover" all the trouble you have and it´s still up to you to find your way to the ship.

Yes, it´s the same policy with every cruise company. But usually the companies are trying to help you getting to the ship. As for ocean cruises the local port agent helps you to get to the airport and they also usually help you to rebook flights if necessary.

So I think GCT should have taken care for a transport to the next port or at least figure out the train connection and tell fritokc to take a cab from the airport to the train station (on their expenses), take train No. XXX at XXX and meet the ship´s representative at the train station at the next port for a transport to the ship. That´ll be customer service!

steamboats

Well I agree with the other posters who are not surprised that there is not much help from GTC. We have not done a river cruise (am actually reading thruough this board becasue we are thinking about one) but whenever we cruise in the Carriibbean we always go to port one day early. It has always been our understanding that if we miss the boat - we will be on our own to catch up to it. Especially with the overnight flight to Europe I would think you might want to arrive early to get thru some of the jet-lag to begin to enjoy the cruise. I certainly wouldn't want to be negotiating the transfer from airport to rail to boat after an overnight flight. Hopefully they will at least encounter some helpful locals to point them in the right direction.

Well I agree with the other posters who are not surprised that there is not much help from GTC. We have not done a river cruise (am actually reading thruough this board becasue we are thinking about one) but whenever we cruise in the Carriibbean we always go to port one day early. It has always been our understanding that if we miss the boat - we will be on our own to catch up to it. Especially with the overnight flight to Europe I would think you might want to arrive early to get thru some of the jet-lag to begin to enjoy the cruise. I certainly wouldn't want to be negotiating the transfer from airport to rail to boat after an overnight flight. Hopefully they will at least encounter some helpful locals to point them in the right direction.

Good points on transit. We liked GCT because they included air fare and airport transfers in their advertised price . . . they offered a (substantial) credit if we made our own arrangements, but we couldn't get an open jaw round trip for what they offered - now if you have miles . . . :).

Here's hoping that no new post means the OP is safely aboard and enjoying the cruise!

Another good point in cruising, whether river boats or ocean cruises, one should always plan to arrive a day ahead of time, or pick cruises that stay put for a couple days before moving on. We will either take the pre-cruise package or look for a cruise that starts out in a hotel for a couple of days. So if you miss the first day of a hotel stay, at least you arrive in time for the cruise portion.

My doctor just told me of their experience, where they were held up by weather here in the states and they missed the first day of their trip. He went on another line, not GCT. He didn't have an easy time of it getting to his destination and is still fighting with the airline over compensation. So it does happen, not only with GCT, but other companies as well.

I totally agree on the previous posters about flying in at least a day earlier than the day the ship departs, travel insurance, etc. We always have to connect through O'Hare where delays are commonplace.

Another important factor to me is my great travel agent. I know that I can always call 24/7 and get help and or advice. And it is for this reason that I am scared to death to use GCT. Even though their trips look great, you have no outside help to turn to.

Wow...that will certainly make me think twice about GCT! I thought the same as you, one of the reasons you booked air trans with the tour company was in case you had a delay....besides, you didn't book the plane....they did, so why is it your fault you were delayed?

Our connecting flight from Milan to Prague was cancelled and so we missed the bus transfer to the hotel. We called the emergency number Avalon gave us and we were told to take a taxi and they would reimburse us. The next morning, an Avalon rep checked to make sure we arrived at the hotel ok and reimbursed us, in cash, on the spot for our cabfare.

We have booked our next cruise with Avalon, the Tulip Time cruise in April. Their responsiveness and customer service was merely the cherry on top of a wonderful all around experience.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a very bad experience with GCT last August. We booked a River boat cruise in France. Paris to Nice. The literature stated the boat, The Chardonnay went into service in 2002. Upon boarding the ship, the literature given us said the boat was built in 1956. They did a beautiful job decorating this old tub. The air conditioning unit in our cabin was infected with mold and mildew. We could not use it. The hotel manager got us to fans, but that did not provide much relief in France during August.

The two previous passengers of this cabin registered complaints and they knowingly assigned us to this cabin that was detrimental to our health. There were no other vacant cabins. I spent the nights in the public lounge, my wife stayed in the cabin with the balcony window open and all the river bugs and mesquitos.

When we complained to GCT in Boston upon arriving home, they just appologized and did not offer any satisfactory compensation.

We have been on 34 cruises. Things happen, but this was known by GCT that this 50 year old boat had problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you found any sites that tell you the real scoop on the riverboats. Cruise critic is a great site but it does not really deal with that. We are trying to figure out what company to go with and what boat to go on for a 7 day riverboat cruise next year. Thanks in advance.

Archived