Letters to Richard Fain

Let the flaming commence!

I keep reading on these boards about RCCL customers who write letters to Richard Fain (usually these are letters of complaint). For myself, I can't imagine writing to the CEO/Chairman of the Board about minor concerns, or even wonderful experiences for that matter, and expecting a prompt response! In the United States we are moving everything into the realm of mega--mega malls, mega churches, mega meals... Royal Caribbean has also become mega, and while managing all of that mega who has time to manage the minutia? I'm going to bet probably not Richard Fain.

In fact, this is the whole reason that as companies grow they establish customer service and public relations operations and hire staff specifically to support these operations. Customers are provided with dedicated staff and systems to address their comments, and the CEOs and other top management can focus their skills, experiences, education and abilities on the jobs that they were hired (yes, by their boards of directors) to perform.

If I wanted the limit raised on my American Express, would I contact Kenneth Chenault? If I didn't like my cheeseburger at McDonald's would I write a letter to Jim Skinner? If my Starbucks latte wasn't hot enough, would I call Howard Schultz? No! I would talk to someone in the correct department to find resolution!

Now, if a Royal Caribbean ship sank, or if people were killed on board, then I would expect to hear from Richard Fain. But for rumors about lobster, dirty glasses, a bad disembarkation, rough seas, shows that people didn't like, cancelled ports--well my gosh he is only one man! And a man with a MEGA job to do!

So for those who are moping because they haven't heard back from Richard Fain in the time frame that they expected--are you serious? How important do you imagine yourself that you should be able to completely bypass the Customer Service department and get a prompt answer from the company's CEO? It is just not feasible to imagine that Richard Fain has time to read and respond to every letter that crosses his desk. In fact the only head of a major operation that I know of who has the time to read that many letters is Santa Claus!

Sorry, and as I said, let the flaming commence. I just had to get this off of my chest.

Java

I keep reading on these boards about RCCL customers who write letters to Richard Fain (usually these are letters of complaint). For myself, I can't imagine writing to the CEO/Chairman of the Board about minor concerns, or even wonderful experiences for that matter, and expecting a prompt response! In the United States we are moving everything into the realm of mega--mega malls, mega churches, mega meals... Royal Caribbean has also become mega, and while managing all of that mega who has time to manage the minutia? I'm going to bet probably not Richard Fain.

In fact, this is the whole reason that as companies grow they establish customer service and public relations operations and hire staff specifically to support these operations. Customers are provided with dedicated staff and systems to address their comments, and the CEOs and other top management can focus their skills, experiences, education and abilities on the jobs that they were hired (yes, by their boards of directors) to perform.

If I wanted the limit raised on my American Express, would I contact Kenneth Chenault? If I didn't like my cheeseburger at McDonald's would I write a letter to Jim Skinner? If my Starbucks latte wasn't hot enough, would I call Howard Schultz? No! I would talk to someone in the correct department to find resolution!

Now, if a Royal Caribbean ship sank, or if people were killed on board, then I would expect to hear from Richard Fain. But for rumors about lobster, dirty glasses, a bad disembarkation, rough seas, shows that people didn't like, cancelled ports--well my gosh he is only one man! And a man with a MEGA job to do!

So for those who are moping because they haven't heard back from Richard Fain in the time frame that they expected--are you serious? How important do you imagine yourself that you should be able to completely bypass the Customer Service department and get a prompt answer from the company's CEO? It is just not feasible to imagine that Richard Fain has time to read and respond to every letter that crosses his desk. In fact the only head of a major operation that I know of who has the time to read that many letters is Santa Claus!

Sorry, and as I said, let the flaming commence. I just had to get this off of my chest.

Java

:cool: Very well said. Great job. And so many rumors lately, this board is really starting to turn me off.:confused:

Java

No flaming from me. I agree with you completely, but there are some that think they deserve an answer from RF. :D

:cool: Very well said. Great job. And so many rumors lately, this board is really starting to turn me off.:confused:

I agree. I have felt this way for awhile.

As far as the op goes I agree as well. It is called "Chain of Commands". I think you have to be in customer service at some point of your life to understand this:) .

Java

No flaming here. I agree completely. Kudos

John

No flames here either.

I have definitely seen an increase in an unfounded sense of entitlement on these boards. Folks, we are customers on a cruise line. We are not the elite, the rich and famous. No one owes us anything but safe passage and a reasonably good time for the fares we pay.

That we choose to take a cruise for our vacation, anniversary, or whatever reason does not make us better than anyone else. I usually read these posts with a sense of humor and get a good chuckle out of how people actually come across. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

I will now go back to planning what to pack for our upcoming cruise. I will not waste time obsessing about the possible lack of lobster, a dirty spoon, tired waiter, missed port or anything else that might cause others to shoot off a letter to the CEO, expecting an immediate personal reply.

I guess I just like to cruise. My cruise is what I make of it, and I'm going to enjoy every second of it. I did stub my toe on a lounge chair once, but honestly, Mr. Fain, no personal apology is necessary... ;)

Eric

I agree as well. I too just like to cruise and am hopeful we can get back to the educational nature of this board. I am thankful I get to vacation by land and sea as frequently as we do:) I guess my glass tends to be half full...maybe that is Fain's fault...half full? What was he thinking...:D

I have in the past sent letters to RCI with positive comments and have received return letters promptly. But for the first time this past October I sent a complaint letter to NCL's pres Colin Veitch. My DH was subjected to a chemical burn to his eyes from the pool onboard. He now faces permanent damage to his eyes.

I was impressed that the day after I sent off the email, Mr Veitch's assistant responded that he was out of town and that she would forward my note to a Customer Service Manager for follow up. Again I was impressed when the young lady called 2 days later. What did not impress me was their response, or lack of response. It's no good if they follow up and barely offer an apology. Let's just say, we will never sail NCL again. It's back to RCI for me!

Agree completely about letters to Mr. Fain about anything RCI.

The problem is that it is difficult to get an answer to some questions from either Customer Service or Crown & Anchor. If there are rumors afloat on the board and no answers are forthcoming from the folks that should be answering, an email to Mr. Goldsteins (RCI president) office will get a response.

This action should only be used as a last resort if all other avenues have been used without a definitive answer and it is something that has more impact than whether there will be lobster or not.

I recently sent Mr. Fain an e-mail about some truly excellent service we experienced on our recent cruise, and soon got a personal reply. And this while he was in Europe for the Genesis keel laying ceremony.

I agree with you also about "going to the top" first and then working your way down to someone that can help....(and should be able to do so without the owners approval)... I was an owner of a company for many years and some just want to talk to the "top" just so they can tell others they did it... many people below the top could easily handle the situation... and would most likely do it faster if the situation was presented to them in the proper fashion... YELLING and SCREAMING gets you no where very fast... (even when you are upset)...

Thanks for the post... glad someone had the guts to put it up...:) :) :)

Agree completely about letters to Mr. Fain about anything RCI.

The problem is that it is difficult to get an answer to some questions from either Customer Service or Crown & Anchor. If there are rumors afloat on the board and no answers are forthcoming from the folks that should be answering, an email to Mr. Goldsteins (RCI president) office will get a response.

This action should only be used as a last resort if all other avenues have been used without a definitive answer and it is something that has more impact than whether there will be lobster or not.

As most anyone who has worked in Corporate America can tell you, when that letter to Mr. Fain gets shipped down to the appropriate person accompanied by a note from the Chairman's office telling him or her to deal with the problem, it will get very prompt attention and probably quicker attention than if that same complaint were sent directly to that same person. It is unfortunate but that is often the way things work. :rolleyes:

Java

Very well said !

Java

Great job, good point and well said.

I have in the past sent letters to RCI with positive comments and have received return letters promptly. But for the first time this past October I sent a complaint letter to NCL's pres Colin Veitch. My DH was subjected to a chemical burn to his eyes from the pool onboard. He now faces permanent damage to his eyes.

I was impressed that the day after I sent off the email, Mr Veitch's assistant responded that he was out of town and that she would forward my note to a Customer Service Manager for follow up. Again I was impressed when the young lady called 2 days later. What did not impress me was their response, or lack of response. It's no good if they follow up and barely offer an apology. Let's just say, we will never sail NCL again. It's back to RCI for me!

Why do you have to find a way to drag NCLA into an RCL board?

Archived