Early embarkation

MJ123

OK, I know Jan know's a great deal about O, but I've gotta say that this is my experience;

1; I book inside cheapo cabins, G's and F's

2; Both times I have embarked I have not experienced ANY discrimination based on what level one is, although early embarkation for more salubrious cabins seems to be an ongoing thread on this board

3; Both times I have embarked it has been well before (e.g. several hours) advertised time and both times my cabin has been ready for me to access.

p.s., yes I appreciate that this is 'merely' good customers service and it's why I like Oceania

• 2 months later...

Lahore: I noticed this posting where you mentioned that you have stayed in this category of cabin so I was wondering if you could offer any information about them. I have always stayed in a balcony before but I wanted the Greek itinerary and it is very port intensive (and expensive). I have been offered a Pullman Quad which apparently has extra beds hidden in the ceiling but I want to make sure that we are as little cramped as possible. And we need at least a queen bed. Any insight you may have on location or anything else would be welcome

Interesting- we have booked concierge level before, and are doing it again, though I am not sure why. Early boarding was open to everyone, our friends in balcony class had just as many dinners at toscana as us. I think the refrigerator and the cashmere lap blanket were about the only difference between that and a regular balcony. I made the mistake of thinking the ship concierge was going to help us with bookings, but he is there for the whole ship, and didn't play favorites with concierge class passengers. And knowing all that, we are doing it again- just for the silver card I guess! Pretty clever marketing strategy if you ask me.

Interesting you would say that. I've been thinking that the only reason we would book an A instead of a B was to get that fridge! Sounds like I'm right. Of course, we may try a PH instead. But really, why an A instead of a B, except to have a cold beer available?

Hi all, but specifically this answer is for swifs.

We usually book in inside cabin on decks 7 or 8. First time with Oceania we chose the cabin, second time we did a G guarantee because, like you, it was an expensive trip and we just wanted to be onboard. In the end we were upgraded to an F anyway. I would recommend the F's and G's - we actually split the beds into two singles against the walls and have the little bedside cabinets in the middle between the beds, that way there is plenty of space to walk around in the middle. Actually i was glad that I didn't get upgraded any further - there is an other category (maybe E, not sure) that is a horizontally positioned cabin rather than the F's and G's which are vertical. The horizontal ones don't have a lounge, but do have an obstructed window I think. Having the lounge makes a world of difference in terms of space and comfort. We wedged the irritating glass table between the lounge and a bed, meaning there is plenty of space in the centre of the room. Both of our cabins have had bunks in the roof. You wouldn't even know they were there but for a line along the roof. They are absolutely no problem at all.

I tend to sleep in, have breakfast in bed and turn the tv on to bridgecam, that way i can see outside just like a window (in fact better than some ob structed views).

I wouldn't suggest the following for anyone who is not in genuine need, but I have to take a medicine each day and the bottles are clearly marked that they have to be refrigerated. I also have a letter from my doctor to that extent. Sometimes I get them stored in the pursor's office and have to go each day to get one. But this time I was given a fridge in my room, so really I got the benefits of a much higher grade cabin at no extra charge (thanks Oceania).

Our friends had a balcony cabin with three of them in the room, and I swear that our room felt bigger the way we had it set up. If you are claustrophobic it wouldn't do, but I find them snug but not unbearably close.

Hope that is helpful - when it comes down to it, I'd far rather be on a cruise in an inside cabin than not there at all ;) .

What experience have other people had with the concierge? Are you paying for some extra service or is it strictly for the frig and the higher deck??????

Enquiring minds want to know.

We have traveled in 7078 (concierge, A2) and 4049 (oceanview, C1). For our next cruise, we are booked in 7085 (concierge, A2).

First of all, we prefer the balcony as long as there is a significant reason for the balcony. Our first Oceania cruise was up and back down 1000 miles of the Amazon, and we correctly decided that a balcony was the right place for us to enjoy the views. Our second was a transAtlantic, and we decided there was little reason to have a balcony in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Our next cruise is around Cape Horn and through the Chilean Fjords, so again, we feel there will be something worthwhile to see from the balcony. Our choice of a balcony versus a non-balcony would also be guided by the number of sea days -- we would not be concerned with a balcony on a port-intensive cruise, because we would expect to be touring in the daytime and eating or enjoying the shows in the evening.

Having said all that, your question was between a concierge and non-concierge balcony. To specifically answer it, the concierge upgrade is primarily about the fridge and some other physical details. There was no difference in the service we received on deck 4 or deck 7. You will always be able to eat in the specialty restaurants as many times as you like, if you are mildly aggressive in requesting it, and especially if you book with 2 or 3 other couples.

I'm "addicted" to Diet Pepsi and go to great lengths to acquire it and bring it on board. I am so addicted that it is the first thing I drink when I arise in the AM. I want it cold. That's reason enough for me to spend whatever it takes to get a fridge. Ice just doesn't work overnight. Plus, we like to relax in the cabin in the afternoon on sea days, maybe taking a nap, and we enjoy the DVD player and the ship's extensive library of movies.

I'm aware that it is frivolous to spend so much money on a fridge and DVD player, but that is about the ONLY thing about which I am frivolous, being a dedicated miser, so that is my vacation treat.

Wow, well not as dedicated a miser as lahore, obviously :p !

I draw the line at an inside cabin, and on Oceania, although I haven't been yet, I would definitely do a balcony. Don't watch TV much on cruises, so that leaves the fridge. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. When are they going to bite the bullet and put fridges in all the cabins? (Then we could book a B!)

I am amazed that the concierge level does not get you any additional services except a refrig. The name implies that you will have access to a person that the B cabins do not. I would think that they should get rid of the word concierge and just label the cabins as balcony.

This is copied from the Oceania website:

Concierge Level Amenities

Priority Early Embarkation & Dedicated Check-in Desk

Priority Restaurant Reservations

Priority Luggage Delivery

Welcome Bottle of Champagne

Refrigerated Mini Bar

In-Room DVD Player

Cashmere Blanket

Complementary Tote Bag

Hand Held Hair Dryer

Concierge Grade Bathroom Amenities and Toiletries

Complementary Shoe Shine Service

Complementary Pressing Service (Limited)

Don

Thanks, that is the comprehensive list. Since you have thoughtfully provided it and refreshed my poor memory, I'll add some comments, strictly from my point of view -- others will certainly differ.

Concierge Level Amenities

Priority Early Embarkation & Dedicated Check-in Desk As others have commented, this is technical in nature -- and takes place only if there is a large number of people arriving at once. In actuality, they embark everyone as soon as they can, although concierge and above will be embarked first if there is a crowd.

Priority Restaurant Reservations This is hard to judge. On our 26 day cruise in concierge, we at a total of 10 times in Polo/Toscanna. Was that because of the concierge status? After our non-concierge transAtlantic, I tend to think NOT -- We ate a total of 6 times in the specialty restaurants on a 15 day cruise. As I mentioned before, I think it is more important to reserve tables with pre-determined tablemates.

Priority Luggage Delivery The luggage was at our cabin when access to the cabin was announced in both categories.

Welcome Bottle of Champagne This is nice, and it can be traded in at any of the dining rooms for a bottle of wine (limited selection for an even exchange, of course).

Refrigerated Mini Bar This is our primary benefit...

In-Room DVD Player ...and this is our secondary benefit.

Cashmere Blanket If it's there Betsy will use it, but she doesn't shed any tears if it is not.

Complementary Tote Bag Now, this is actually a nice bag, with pockets and zippers and such, and everyone should book concierge at least once to get one. Betsy used it as her carry-on personal bag on the flights, and we always use it in the ports for small purchases. We didnt think about it before we did it, but several people thought we were in concierge class this year because we had last year's bag with us. :cool:

Hand Held Hair Dryer As near as I can figure out, they are placing hand held dryers in all of the rooms now, or are in the process of doing so. We had a hand held dryer on Deck 4, and both categories also had the wall mounted dryer in the bathroom. I tend to use the wall mounted unit because it's more than enough for my sparcity of hair.

Concierge Grade Bathroom Amenities and Toiletries You get toiletries in either category, but they are supposedly "more better" in concierge. Coudn't prove it by us we never heard of any of it, and they all worked for Betsy. I bring my own Dial soap and Wella Balsam shampoo.

Complementary Shoe Shine Service Didn't use it

Complementary Pressing Service (Limited) 2 pieces; didn't use it

Ok folks, this is how these 'benefits' work in an inside cabin. I don't think I am a miser at all really, just sensible.

Priority Early Embarkation & Dedicated Check-in Desk: I have stayed in insides on decks 7 & 8. As such you get to check in in a separate line which I believe is for 'concierge' decks even though you are in an el cheapo cabin. Nevertheless, everone gets put through so quickly on a small ship like O's it's entirely irrelevant.

Priority Restaurant Reservations: Umm, just treat the Maitre D' like a human being and, no problem. We have eaten at Polo more times than you can count. Have knocked back nights at Polo.

Priority Luggage Delivery: Our luggage has been there the same time as anyone elses, very fast, every time.

Welcome Bottle of Champagne: Don't drink, so don't care. Sure as hell aren't going to pay extra for it.

Refrigerated Mini Bar: See my comments previously. I suppose I am 'lucky' there in having a chronic health problem.

In-Room DVD Player; I go on Oceania because of the port intensive cruises. I don't spend time watching TV. If in need of a movie - I have my laptop. Watched one movie on TV on a 28 day cruise.

Cashmere Blanket; Oh please... like I care!

Complementary Tote Bag: Don't think I am going to pay thousands extra for this.

Hand Held Hair Dryer: there's one in every inside cabin I can assure you.

Concierge Grade Bathroom Amenities and Toiletries: I love Oceania's soap, which is the same in all cabins as far as I know. I also like their sea fennel stuff. As for shampoos and facial stuff, I take my own brands that I like so I don't care what they supply.

Complementary Shoe Shine Service: We had Jon's shoes cleaned after a particularly messy adventure in Oman where he fell into a creek. It didn't cost anything and we were in an F grade inside cabin.

Complementary Pressing Service (Limited): OK, I did my own ironing in the laundry onboard. A bit painful, mainly because I wear a lot of linen, but I am not a millionaire and am quite used to doing my own laundry :)

I still think this is a brilliant marketing strategy. Given that the suites and PH are the first to book up on Oceania, and there is no way to add more of them, how do you make a plain balcony room into a penthouse level room? By charging to put them in the same 'class' as the higher grades. It would make one feel a little less foolish for booking it if we got SOMETHING for the money- as pointed out above the only real perk is the refrigerator, and you could buy 10 of them at walmart for the price of an upgrade.

On our first Oceania cruise - catagory B1-in between the owner's suites, I wrote in the mid-cruise critique that I had never been on a cruise where there was no fridge in the cabin. The next day, I got a call from the front desk that they keep extra fridges in stock for diabetics in non-concierge cabins. The man said they had a couple that were not in use and he would bring it to the cabin, if we wanted it. As there was no place to put one (they are built into the desk in the A level cabin), I declined, but thought it was great that they read the critiques and responded.

As far as priority luggage, the last four cabins to get their luggage were those in the two owner's suites and the two cabins in between.

Ah but there is someplace to put it - under the desk, even in a relatively small inside cabin that works. It means you can't use the chair under the desk, but I never do anyway. We had a sofa so we just got the chair removed.

This has been a fascinating thread to read through. Going way back to the original title about early embarkation does O provide a bag drop? We arrive at Istanbul airport at 9:00 am, and while we would be quite happy to potter around until whenever our embarkation time is, I don't really see us doing that while toting our bags.

In reading so much about mini-fridges, you would think that O would catch on and offer it as an "extra" for a per day charge. Of course if there isn't any space for it, people wouldn't want it. It does makes sense for them to offer it as many hotels do ... sometimes as little as $5/day!

Archived