Waffle Robe usage

sweet sheep

I am aware of the fact that there are waffle robes for each person to use while onboard the ship and they must be left there when the cruise if over.

My question is do you wear them only inside your stateroom? Can you wear them going to the pool? I have been told that you are not supposed to wear them outside of your stateroom but i have seen some do it! Of course that does not surprise me as some folks make their own rules.

I cannot find anywhere in HAL's material, any info about whether or not it is a no no to wear outside of stateroom?

Does anyone know for sure?

Also another question-I have been told that on some of the ships that HAL is now supplying power strips for use onboard? Is this true or not?

Thank you much my fellow C C friends,

I think it is fairly clear that bedroom wear, i.e., a robe belongs within the confines of the bedroom/stateroom only. Suitable beach cover-up can be worn to the pool as suggested in the 'Know Before You Go' booklet. Robes are never acceptable in the Lido. I continue to be flabbergasted by ill-mannered folk who continue to wear their bed clothes throughout the ship:eek:

On our Oosterdam cruise, a group of us signed up for all three sessions of the martini mixology classes. We were asked to wear bathrobes and showercaps to our final session as a graduation gown and "mortarboard". :D:D It was part of the fun, but I'm sure people passing by thought we were a bunch of drunken fools.

I think the probable intent is that you wear the robes in your cabin. However, I saw people wearing them in the Neptune Lounge, at the pool, and even saw one person in the Lido (not appropriate, IMO). Enjoy!

No power strips were provided on our cruise as far as I know... If you really need one, bring your own.

It could have been my DH you saw in Neptune Lounge in his robe. Our cabin is almost always right across from Neptune Lounge and sometimes he pops in to pick us up a cup of coffee. I don't imagine he is there more than 2 minutes and he's out the door.

I posted this here on this board in the past and many people said they saw nothing wrong with this.....as long as it's a quick in, get the coffee and gone.

When he returns with my steaming hot coffee and I'm still opening my eyes for the first time that day...... I love it!

Noticed several iindividuals on our recent Amsterdam sailing wearing the HAL robes as coverups to the pool and to breakfast in the Lido. If that wasn't gauche enough, there was also a couple on board wearing their very own fluffy brought-from-home-robes to the pools as well as to the Lido for meals. To make it even more bizarre, both he and she had their names monogrammed in gold thread on the robes. Indeed, 'twas a sight to behold!

When I spot the robes thruout the ship, I often wonder if the same individuals wear their bedclothes to eateries, the grocery, the bank, etc. back home.

Ahoy!

On our last Prinsendam sail our steward did ask us on our intial meet if we required an extension cord. First time for us it was ever offered on a cruise ship. It wasn't an issue since we always pack one for the electronic gizmos and a short extension cord that we drape over the side of the vanity counter to plug in the night light.

To date, haven't seen terry robes worn on smart casual or formal nights but any other part of the ship seems to be 'fair game' these days.

Have a Wonderful Cruise!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Noticed several iindividuals on our recent Amsterdam sailing wearing the HAL robes as coverups to the pool and to breakfast in the Lido. If that wasn't gauche enough, there was also a couple on board wearing their very own fluffy brought-from-home-robes to the pools as well as to the Lido for meals. To make it even more bizarre, both he and she had their names monogrammed in gold thread on the robes. Indeed, 'twas a sight to behold!

When I spot the robes thruout the ship, I often wonder if the same individuals wear their bedclothes to eateries, the grocery, the bank, etc. back home.

family.jpg

There were quite a few robe-wearers both at the pool and the Lido buffet during daytime hours on the Amsterdam last month.

I think they're great for bathing suit cover-ups at the pool, but wouldn't be caught dead standing in the breakfast line with one on. ;)

That being said, it didn't faze me a bit.

My problem is with men in tank-tops, underarm hair flowing around the food. Yuckers! :p (I'd prefer them to cover up in a robe!) :)

My students wear their pajamas to class.

It could have been my DH you saw in Neptune Lounge in his robe. Our cabin is almost always right across from Neptune Lounge and sometimes he pops in to pick us up a cup of coffee. I don't imagine he is there more than 2 minutes and he's out the door.

I posted this here on this board in the past and many people said they saw nothing wrong with this.....as long as it's a quick in, get the coffee and gone.

When he returns with my steaming hot coffee and I'm still opening my eyes for the first time that day...... I love it!

Sail, I agree that to wear the robe to take a quick trip over to the Neptune is absolutely fine - it was the fellow in the Lido with his robe and flip-flops that made me wonder if maybe he'd not packed enough clothes for the week....:rolleyes:

I think it is fairly clear that bedroom wear, i.e., a robe belongs within the confines of the bedroom/stateroom only. Suitable beach cover-up can be worn to the pool as suggested in the 'Know Before You Go' booklet. Robes are never acceptable in the Lido. I continue to be flabbergasted by ill-mannered folk who continue to wear their bed clothes throughout the ship:eek:

WOW ... you make it sound like it's underwear. I've been on many cruise's and have seen folks use the robe's as cover-up's many times. Personally, I'd rather have them use the robe's than some of the cheesy cover-up's I've seen.

Picture a man in a robe in the Lido during DINNER hours. Yep, he went through the line like the rest of us(to place our order) and nothing was said to him. This was on the Oosterdam. With ALL the talk of dress code on this board I couldn't wait to get back and share! TACKY.

Edited to say that he was bare chested(hairy)....ewww....There is a time and place, but this was not it.

Marie

I like using a robe as a cover up when going for a nighttime dip in the jacuzzi. It just seems a bit warmer to throw back on for the return walk to the room, versus my normal daytime bathing suit cover up. At least I'm wearing SOMETHING. I think it's worse when people walk around in only a bathing suit often leaving very little of their body to the imagination.:D

I agree I'm not wild about robes at Lido but have also seen them. I've developed a wonderful capacity to look beyond, past, through someone/something I find objectionable. I literally dismiss those people as simply not being present in the location as I have no desire to interact with them in any manner. Sorry; but true.

I have seen passengers wearing the bathrobes in the Neptune Lounge at all times of day...and barefoot. Some spend extended stays there in their robes.

I have always thought that the robes provided by Holland America are for use in the staterooms not throughout the ship. I think of it as analogous to a robe provided in a good hotel. Would it be appropriate to wear that robe to the Concierge Lounge? To the dining room? Just my take on this, but surely I may be a bit old fashioned.

I have seen passengers wearing the bathrobes in the Neptune Lounge at all times of day...and barefoot. Some spend extended stays there in their robes.

I have always thought that the robes provided by Holland America are for use in the staterooms not throughout the ship. I think of it as analogous to a robe provided in a good hotel. Would it be appropriate to wear that robe to the Concierge Lounge? To the dining room? Just my take on this, but surely I may be a bit old fashioned.

I don't think that you're being old fashioned, a bit.

To see one cover up at the POOL in their robe is a totally different thing than to have folks walk around in lounges, buffets, etc. with them on.

I wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to zip around for coffee/food in their robe, I just hope that they're covered up TIGHTLY.

;)

When deciding upon a cruise line, I chose HAL largely because of their fidelity to the "traditions" of cruising. I stayed away from Celebrity, NCL, etc. because I prefered a clientel whom did not go to dinner in their beach or sleep attire.

The venue one chooses should dictate attire. If I wanted to go out for a fast food meal at McAuful's, I would have no aversion to wearing sandals and a t-shirt. But if I choose to go to a fine dining restaurant, I would expect to dress a bit more formally.

Using a bathrobe as a cover up at the pool is fine, but not at meals or around the ship in general; although I do agree with the poster who noted that it might be preferable to some slovenly attire at mealtime.

I realise that times are changing and the old traditions are not longer what they once were. But I am hopeful that HAL will continue to promote a cruise experience with more of a dignified milieu than that of the mass market lines.

I will dress for dinner and enjoy myself.

Most ladies have swim suit coverups and most of the men wear t-shirts /jerseys with their swim suits. The swimsuits many men wear these days look much like shorts. Many of them are almost to the knee.

Not getting into the spandex thingees.....:D

Picture a man in a robe in the Lido during DINNER hours. Yep, he went through the line like the rest of us(to place our order) and nothing was said to him. This was on the Oosterdam. With ALL the talk of dress code on this board I couldn't wait to get back and share! TACKY.

Edited to say that he was bare chested(hairy)....ewww....There is a time and place, but this was not it.

Marie

"TACKY"? Marie have you given a thought as to what we are going to wear to the proposed Pajama Party on the "Yummer Cruise"? I have a confirmed cabin, it's a category C, but have no idea which deck that is on, and I believe that you have a guarantee, so not yet assigned. Now, the problem is how do we get from our cabins to that exalted Suite row where the party will be held?

I have the p.j.'s and the slippers but how do I cover up on the way to the party? Should I bring along a raincoat as a coverup? Actually I would prefer that to those ugly waffle robes that HAL provides. I have this fear that I will get into a crowded elevator and everyone will be dressed to the nines and looking at me in my P.j.s and waffle robe and thinking "OMG" what is she wearing - and why? :D

Valerie:)

Archived