Have you ever missed the ship when in port???

I've been thinking, "What would I have done if I were in the same situation?" My FIL had no cell phone so there was no communication between him and his wife. Where would she meet him??? Would it be guaranteed she would meet up with him???

I can't answer these questions so I just don't know what I would have done in this situation. I guess I should discuss with DH what we should do if we were ever separated and one of us didn't make it back to the ship on time.

That's a great point - we've never discussed something like that either.

We are usually together but I am certain there could be some instance where it could be different!

Good for her, She probably got sick of his butt and left him there on purpose. if it were me, i wouldnt have left my husband the passport. so he couldnt come back.

Is there a mistercruiseking, or has he been abandoned in some foreign port without his passport? ;)

I found out last evening that my 80 y/o FIL missed his ship, Voyager OTS in Cozumel and he was by himself. :eek: His wife, realizing he wasn't back to the ship in time, ran off the ship with his and passport and gave it to the port agent. Somehow my FIL met up with the port agent and was able to travel back to the US. He's just waiting for his wife to arrive at the ship's disembarkation port now. The bad weather and change of itinerary is what confused my FIL regarding the all aboard time.

DH is on the phone right now with my FIL. My FIL said he watched the ship as it pulled away from the dock. What a "sinking" feeling that must be expecially when you know you don't have a passport on you.

What have you done if you found yourself without your passport and/or wallet as the ship sailed away without you??? DH and I always keep our passports in the ship safe and don't carry them with us when we get off the ship while in port.progress.gif

Glad it all worked out so well other than half a cruise missed. To answer your question, though, I wouldn't have found myself in that situation. My passport goes with me with in a foreign country. Does me no good in a safe.

FIL was under the impression the ship was leaving at 4:00pm. With the bad weather, RCCL had changed the departure time to 11:00am. He got back to the pier around noon, thinking the ship wasn't leaving for another four hours. They held the ship for 30 minutes and he arrived just in time to see the ship pulling away. I first thoughts were, "Oh, that ship looks like it's moving!!!"

I wonder when they made the announcement about the time change and if it is possible that some guests were already off the ship when the decision to change the depature time was made.

Your MIL did good to leave his passport for him. And a credit card too I hope. Glad it seems to be working out for them.

Annieeee

On my first cruise, I lost my purse in a cab in the Bahamas....I called the port and since I had used the only female cabby they knew who she was and found her. She brought my purse with all my ID,,,etc still intact...

What would happen if I couldn;t get passport or ID back? Would you have to live in another country til you could get new passport? and how could you do that without ID and money?

By the way, glad your FIL made out all right..

Each daily Cruise Compass lists (on the bottom in small print) the name, address, & phone number of the Agent in that particular port. It's a good thing to have with you when going ashore, for that contact information incase of an emergency.

Hopefully, you'll never need it though.

Now that would be terrifying. We were so paranoid about being left behind that we came back so early, we had time to get back off the ship and explore some more.:eek:

My heart goes out to all involved. How horrible.

Please let us know he got home okay, if you can.

Each daily Cruise Compass lists (on the bottom in small print) the name, address, & phone number of the Agent in that particular port. It's a good thing to have with you when going ashore, for that contact information incase of an emergency.

Hopefully, you'll never need it though.

Thanks for that information. :)

Another poster mentioned to bring your passport with you and I've read many threads concerning this topic but now I will most suredly take my passport with me!

Thanks for all the information.

OP.. so happy things turned out ok for your family.

Winnie <-----> usually misses the boat but hopefully not the ship

Glad it all worked out so well other than half a cruise missed. To answer your question, though, I wouldn't have found myself in that situation. My passport goes with me with in a foreign country. Does me no good in a safe.

I hear ya!!! DH was pickpocketed several years ago in Paris on a crowded bus and he is afraid that may happen again, and the passport may be the next thing to go. Also, some folks like to go in the water at the beach and don't feel comfortable leaving their passport on the beach unsupervised.

We"re going to carry a photocopies of our passports from now on at all times when in foreign ports. I can't believe we haven't done all along. How dumb is that???

I wonder when they made the announcement about the time change and if it is possible that some guests were already off the ship when the decision to change the depature time was made.

Your MIL did good to leave his passport for him. And a credit card too I hope. Glad it seems to be working out for them.

Annieeee

MIL gave the port agent Dad's wallet and passport. I haven't talked to her about this yet but I have a sneeky suspicion that someone from the ship crew, such as at the purser's desk, told her to do that. I'm not sure she would have thought of that on her own. I know I wouldn't have. I would have been in a panic and not be able to think of ANYTHING to do. I can't wait to talk to her to her to find out the details of how the whole thing unfolded. It's like a bad novel.

The "happy couple" should be meeting up this morning.

On my first cruise, I lost my purse in a cab in the Bahamas....I called the port and since I had used the only female cabby they knew who she was and found her. She brought my purse with all my ID,,,etc still intact...

What would happen if I couldn;t get passport or ID back? Would you have to live in another country til you could get new passport? and how could you do that without ID and money?

By the way, glad your FIL made out all right..

Oh my gosh...there are so many different scenerios that could happen. Food for thought. I think I'll stick with one of the earlier suggestions and just have a photocopy of my passport on me. Someone also suggested to memorize your passport number.

My sister has a copy of DH and my passports on file at her home. I could always call her for the number of the passport if I couldn't remember it.

Archived