LIVE from the Noordam

jrzebird

Greetings from the lovely Noordam, currently east of South Carolina! It's overcast, with moderate seas. We just finished our CC Meet and Greet. Not sure how many were in attendance, but it appeared to be about 40 - 50. It was very nice, and a real treat to meet those who were only screen names until now.I am keeping a journal, and will probably post when I get back, but here are a few hightlights ... traffic in NYC was a horror, as was embarkation. The ship was late getting in and, from what I understand, it was that and a combination of Immigration holding it up. But, after a lenghty delay, we all embarked safely and were on our way by 5:00 p.m. It was a beautiful sale-away, and Lady Liberty was at her shining best.Our room is wonderful. If anyone has any questions whether or not to book a Cat C, I'd say do it. It's like the entire room is one big veranda, that's how close the sea is. We are under the Northern Lights, and have not heard on sound or vibration.The show last night, Ballroom Blitz, was very good, IMO. Last year I didn't think it was that great, but it really was excellent this time. And, since I've danced and worked in a dance company for years, I'd like to think my opinion holds a bit of weight. The ventriloquist was also good.I wish each and every one of you could be with us. As I write this, the sun is starting to come out, and lunch bekons. Hope to post a bit later. Oh, and the wireless internet is in almost all spots on the ship. I am writing this from my cabin on the first level. Very nice, indeed! And, relatively FAST!Maureen

Greetings from the lovely Noordam, currently east of South Carolina! It's overcast, with moderate seas. We just finished our CC Meet and Greet. Not sure how many were in attendance, but it appeared to be about 40 - 50. It was very nice, and a real treat to meet those who were only screen names until now.I am keeping a journal, and will probably post when I get back, but here are a few hightlights ... traffic in NYC was a horror, as was embarkation. The ship was late getting in and, from what I understand, it was that and a combination of Immigration holding it up. But, after a lenghty delay, we all embarked safely and were on our way by 5:00 p.m. It was a beautiful sale-away, and Lady Liberty was at her shining best.Our room is wonderful. If anyone has any questions whether or not to book a Cat C, I'd say do it. It's like the entire room is one big veranda, that's how close the sea is. We are under the Northern Lights, and have not heard on sound or vibration.The show last night, Ballroom Blitz, was very good, IMO. Last year I didn't think it was that great, but it really was excellent this time. And, since I've danced and worked in a dance company for years, I'd like to think my opinion holds a bit of weight. The ventriloquist was also good.I wish each and every one of you could be with us. As I write this, the sun is starting to come out, and lunch bekons. Hope to post a bit later. Oh, and the wireless internet is in almost all spots on the ship. I am writing this from my cabin on the first level. Very nice, indeed! And, relatively FAST!Maureen

Sounds great. We will be on her this summer. Did they give you space in the Crows Nest for the Meet & Greet?

Maureen,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad that your CC meet and greet went well. It sounds like you are having a great time aboard the Noordam, and I hope that continues. I will be looking forward to each posting.

Noordam docked on time at 8:00am 1/5/08,disembarkation commenced late.Customs was handled in San Juan.We were off the ship at 11am and one of the last,weather was great in the islands and hope you get the same.Lots of wheelchair Passengers on our trip -not that ther's anything wrong with that but it may have played a role in our slow disembarkation.Enjoy!

Maureen, thanks for posting from the Noordam. Hope you have a fabulous cruise. How nice that there were so many for your meet and greet. We expect a large turn out too. Take good care of my favorite ship as we will be boarding a month from today!:D

Jrzebird-thanks for the live updates while you are enjoying your cruise. We board the Noordam Jan 26 and can hardly wait to sail. You said wireless internet is available from many places on the ship. I just purchased a macbook for myself over Christmas (merry christmas to me) and plan to take it. Any idea the price involved and how difficult is it to log on?? Do you have to take a package or can you log on as you wish and pay afterward.

Have a wonderful cruise-we are all wishing we were there right now!! I am waiting to pass Lady Liberty again and hope she is as beautiful for me.

Cathy

I'm so glad to read you're happy with your cabin, and it's location. I remember you had some concern about that.

Isn't the Noordam beautiful! There's a piece of art I would love to take home with me some time.

Thanks for checking in. Have a great cruise.

Any idea the price involved and how difficult is it to log on?? Do you have to take a package or can you log on as you wish and pay afterward.

You have a choice of Internet plans, Cathy. In each case there's a $3.95 set-up charge. Then you can pay $0.75/minute or purchase 100 minutes for $55, or 250 minutes for $100. If you purchase a plan the first day there's usually "bonus" 10 or 20 minutes.

Logging on takes a while.

Noordam docked on time at 8:00am 1/5/08,disembarkation commenced late.Customs was handled in San Juan.We were off the ship at 11am and one of the last,weather was great in the islands and hope you get the same.Lots of wheelchair Passengers on our trip -not that ther's anything wrong with that but it may have played a role in our slow disembarkation.Enjoy!

I thought it docked on time, too. Plus I didn't understand how it could have been held up, unless someone hadn't paid or was missing, but I wasn't going to argue the point. It wasn't worth it.

And that was a Saturday morning eh? Could you indicate where you had problems?

Our driver insisted on taking the Lincoln Tunnel, and I think he would have been better off on the George Washington Bridge. The reason for the delay was bumper to bumper traffic, and it started before we even got out of the tunnel.

A lovely day today. The weather is overcast and windy. Tonight we had a rain and lightening storm. It's a bit rough, but nothing awful, and I like it that way for sleep! The dinner issue seems to have calmed down. Tonight we walked up at 6:15 and got right in. Had very nice dinner companions, and a fun evening. The guitar player, Justin Miller, is absolutely AWESOME.

We lose an hour sleep tonight, so think I'll turn in.

The guitar player, Justin Miller, is absolutely AWESOME.

We lose an hour sleep tonight, so think I'll turn in.

Justin Miller entertained on our cruise and was great. If he gives an afternoon performance be sure not to miss it.

Bob

What cabin are you in, we are booked in 6177SC on the 6th February. Sounds as if you are having a wonderful time.

Diana60, why don't you join us on our roll call. We have a lot of people planning to meet on the first sea day.

Justin Miller entertained on our cruise and was great. If he gives an afternoon performance be sure not to miss it.

Bob

That's today at 3:15 and I plan to go, after my nap! He had a coffee hour this morning, where he answered questions and told stories. I only caught a couple minutes because I went on the kitchen tour.

The rain seems to have stopped, as of an hour ago, the sun is out (finally) and it's warming up. We are due east of West Palm Beach. Still a bit choppy but better than this morning. I'm enjoying a quiet day.

JRZEBIRD, can you tell us or do you know if lunch was served in the dining room on embarkation day? We know it's available in the Lido, but were wondering about the dining room. Thanks!:)

No, they only offer the Lido and Terrace Grill on embarkation day.

Archived