Megan's Bay or Trunk Bay

kroozaholic

I personally think that Trunk Bay is overrated. We had a beautiful day there and lots of fun, but the snorkeling wasn't all that colorful and there weren't that many fish. I did, however, have a great time drinking the rum punch on the way back to St. Thomas! :)

SeaBreezy

i have never been to meagans bay either but have been to trunk bay several times. check around, i think i have heard snorkeling is not good at meagans...trunk bay i think is fun, nice beach, but also people have touched the coral so often it is killing it..i still like it, last time it was a bit murky, kinda cloudy that day. still ok though..there is cinnamon bay next to it that is supposed to be good. go on your own not throught the ship, unless they have a good one. it is so easy to get to st johns by red hook ferry, then take a cab to trunk bay..$3-4 bucks each way, the ferry was i think $2..$4 to get in the park..still cheaper than $60-70 the ships charge..and...whent he hsip pax leave after an hour u have the place almost to yourself. the mongoose come out to see what is left to eat..really nice. they rent snorkel gear if u need it. and!!! found this out on my own too. haha they shut off the fresh water showers at 4 or 4:30...i had to rinse my feet with my bottle of water..pleanty of taxis to return u to the ferry...

My husband and I took a week long trip to St. John. We asked the locals where to go and they told us Lenister Bay. Its not crowded, and there is alot to see if you go snorkeling. Its a little bit of a walk off the main road, but not that bad. Alow yourself plenty of time for the ferry. Sometimes they won't run one, and that can mess you up time wise.

Good Luck

Have fun

No flames from you Megan's fans, we've been to both and IMHO, Megan's is only pretty from a distance. We go to St. John's.

What would everone recommend if you are docking in St. Thomas and just want a good beach day, snorkeling not important? I've heard such great things about heading over to St. John and would try that if it's worth it but if a decent beach can be had on St. Thomas maybe we'll stick to that?

No flames from you Megan's fans, we've been to both and IMHO, Megan's is only pretty from a distance. We go to St. John's.

Exactly. We were up at the very top of St. Thomas, and we looked at Magen's Bay. It looked so beautiful. Then, when we got their, it was not as nice as I had pictured, in fact, I think it is over-rated. The water is nice, but I've seen nicer. The facilities were okay, they had a cafe, which was not good, and not that many picnic tables or benches. There was all kinds of wild plants and stuff. It did not impress me, infact, I couldn't wait to get back to the ship after a while.

(PLUS, not worth the entrance fee.)

We've been to both and on our last trip discovered a place called Coki Beach....it is absolutely beautiful - more private and secluded and by far the best snorkeling anywhere we've ever been!!:D :D And besides that the only fare you pay is for the taxi to get there which is only about 10-15 minutes away. I very highly recommend you go here for a truly amazing experience...take a look at my photos on webshots and you'll see what I mean.

We've been to both and on our last trip discovered a place called Coki Beach....it is absolutely beautiful - more private and secluded and by far the best snorkeling anywhere we've ever been!!:D :D And besides that the only fare you pay is for the taxi to get there which is only about 10-15 minutes away. I very highly recommend you go here for a truly amazing experience...take a look at my photos on webshots and you'll see what I mean.

Hi Stefanie :)

Tell me more about Coki Beach. We are on the AOS next month (for 2 weeks!) and were planning on Magens Bay....I was there last month on the Mariner, and although it is pretty, I was not all that impressed. It felt more like a lagoon than a beach!!!

If we were to take a taxi to Coki, what are the odds that we can get a taxi back to the ship??? Do they run all the time?

Any info is appreciated....

We have been to both Megan's Bay (last week) and St John's in Feb. I have to say if you want beauty and clear water then go to St John's it was incredible. The snorkeling is excellent there to....there is a snorkel trail. Megan's is a nice second but Trunk Bay is more difficult to get to. Not hard just time and money consuming. Either one is nice but no snorkeling at Meagan's and chair rentals at St John's are not lounge chairs they are more sand chairs and you have to leave like a $50.00 deposit.

ckrobyn - It should be easy to get a taxi back to the ship from Coki. They were all over the place just waiting when we were there.

St. John's is beautiful! We enjoyed snorkeling at Trunk Bay. However getting there does cut into your time a little. If you are not snorkeling and want more beach time, you may want to consider staying in St. Thomas.

Nancy

ckrobyn - It should be easy to get a taxi back to the ship from Coki. They were all over the place just waiting when we were there.

St. John's is beautiful! We enjoyed snorkeling at Trunk Bay. However getting there does cut into your time a little. If you are not snorkeling and want more beach time, you may want to consider staying in St. Thomas.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy :)

We are seriously thinking about excursions and need to make a decision soon. I'm not saying I didn't like Magens......it just didn't feel like the ocean.....more like an inlet or a lagoon, know what I mean???

What would everone recommend if you are docking in St. Thomas and just want a good beach day, snorkeling not important? I've heard such great things about heading over to St. John and would try that if it's worth it but if a decent beach can be had on St. Thomas maybe we'll stick to that?

We've been to St. John's 3 times - it takes awhile to get there. The actual beach is small with no good lounge chairs (only small sand chairs) Last time we stayed on St. Thomas and went to Sapphire Bay Beach - beautiful. If you ask the taxi drivers, that's where they tell you to go. Megans Bay is overrated and too crowded. We had Sapphire Bay to ourselves!

It depends what you are looking for. Trunk Bay is beautiful with quiet waters, but it takes time to get there and back. When I have just one day. I like Megans Bay, as its a cab ride from the ship, with a beautiful beach, great open air bar that features one of my favorite drinks- Bush Whacker. What is also nice, is there is plenty of time for the world famous duty free shopping. I'll be there next Sunday : )

boy the shots of coki look deserted! we went there a few yrs ago...it was packed b/c its so tiny. i hear the bathrooms r nasty. but....i snorkeled...its really nice and close to the ship. if u want to just lie on the beach..i would try elsewhere, it is packed to the hilt, ship excursions go here..

We will be 5 people...me, dh, 2 boys (10 and 5.5) and my mom. While I'd love to head to St. John's, I don't want to spend too much time travelling between the ship and the beach. If we stay on St. Thomas, which beach will give us good swimming (we don't care that much about snorkeling), beach chairs and someplace decent for lunch? Of course, a decent bathroom would be great too.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Would Sapphire or Coki (I think both are on St. T) be good options? Can't seem to find enough information about either.

• 8 years later...

We're not into snorkelling but we're considering Coki since as you say, it looks so beautiful. Have heard it's small and thus gets crowded but it looks lovely and have heard it's great for snorkelling.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Been coming to the islands (not on cruises) for 30 years.

I would not advise going to St. John if you are just in port for the day. One of the last beaches I would recommend on St. John is Trunk. Especially on a heavy cruise day the beach is beautiful but the snorkeling is terrible. It is really just a tourist trap

You most definitely do not need to leave St. Thomas to find beautiful beaches. If you dock at Crown Bay then Lindbergh is close and is a great beach with rest rooms , bars, and restaurants

If you dock in Havensight then taxi to Secret Harbor, or Sapphire. If you want a beautiful uncrossed beach go to Smith Bay Park but bring your own food and drinks because it is just a natural unspoiled beach