For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Arrived home late last night from our cruise. I can tell you that we had the trip of our dreams!!!!! Everything was great. Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin & St. Thomas. Our balacony cabin was amazing as was the staff, entertainment, food, excursions and sooo much more. This was our first cruise and will not be our last one! We loved this ship and are very happy to recommend it to our family and friends.

It was also great to hear different languages spoken on our holiday. We expected Spanish to be spoken, after all we did depart from San Juan!! Imagine if you took a cruise out of a Mediterranean port. Wouldn't you expect to hear a variety of languages on board??? We would!

Well, reality has started setting in. Came back to -30 weather last night in Manitoba and will now start on load #2 of the laundry.

We have enjoyed reading the posts on this site and want to thank you for helping us plan our first cruise.

Kathy

Thats a lot for the airfare. I just booked my flights out of Boston for my cruise on 2/3. I paid $215 per person.

Wow you got a fantastic price! The cheapest direct flight from BOS to SJU available now is $280 according to kayak.

Too bad I'd have to drive 9+ hours to save the $40. :)

Arrived home late last night from our cruise. I can tell you that we had the trip of our dreams!!!!! Everything was great. Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin & St. Thomas. Our balacony cabin was amazing as was the staff, entertainment, food, excursions and sooo much more. This was our first cruise and will not be our last one! We loved this ship and are very happy to recommend it to our family and friends.

It was also great to hear different languages spoken on our holiday. We expected Spanish to be spoken, after all we did depart from San Juan!! Imagine if you took a cruise out of a Mediterranean port. Wouldn't you expect to hear a variety of languages on board??? We would!

Well, reality has started setting in. Came back to -30 weather last night in Manitoba and will now start on load #2 of the laundry.

We have enjoyed reading the posts on this site and want to thank you for helping us plan our first cruise.

Kathy

Kathy - so pleased to hear that you had the cruise of your dreams aboard the AOS :)

Being back to reality kinda bites, doesn't it?? ;)

Kathy - so pleased to hear that you had the cruise of your dreams aboard the AOS :)

Being back to reality kinda bites, doesn't it?? ;)

Reality is good. The way I see it.......it just keeps us dreaming about our next cruise. Gotta work hard to play hard for 7-14 days in the Caribbean!!!

Reality is good. The way I see it.......it just keeps us dreaming about our next cruise. Gotta work hard to play hard for 7-14 days in the Caribbean!!!

Yup - so true!

I work all year for my 2 weeks of blissfull cruising paradise every winter.....so worth it though! :)

I saw your cabin in November when we were on the Mariner and you lucked out to get it again! That balcony is awesome! :D

Yes it is, thats why we booked again, and friends we met on board booked 7688 it just like it only on the other side. It was with out a doubt the most peaceful and realaxing balcony I have ever been on.

Thanks for the positive comments you posted.

I have been looking forward to this cruise since I booked it, Jan. 2007.

I think a good vacation has alot to do with how you perceive it.

If you go in with a positive attitude, your most likely going to enjoy it.

I have a question:

Our flight home leaves at 5:00pm when our cruise returns, in your experience, what do you do with your luggage all day?

Do you stow your luggage somewhere?

I was thinking of renting a car and visiting El Yunque Park and drive back to the airport by 2pm.

If our flight leaves at 5pm, what time should we be at the airport?

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Paul

ckrobyn - Thanks for your positive review of the ship. I've been on AOS and going again....in two weeks. YAHOOOOOO:)

Hi Debde.....I see you'll be on AOS 1/27 too. HAVE FUN...I know I will.

We sure will have fun! I signed up for the M&M. Never been to one. Maybe see you there?

I booked the AOS even with all the negative comments. A cruise is all what you make it and I wouldnt let the things you mentioned upset me. Great post! I have a friend who has been on her three times also and feels the same way. I have seen negative reviews about cruises that I have been on an amazed by them. I guess its all what you make of it and I intend on having a great time

Thanks for the positive comments you posted.

I have been looking forward to this cruise since I booked it, Jan. 2007.

I think a good vacation has alot to do with how you perceive it.

If you go in with a positive attitude, your most likely going to enjoy it.

I have a question:

Our flight home leaves at 5:00pm when our cruise returns, in your experience, what do you do with your luggage all day?

Do you stow your luggage somewhere?

I was thinking of renting a car and visiting El Yunque Park and drive back to the airport by 2pm.

If our flight leaves at 5pm, what time should we be at the airport?

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Paul

Hi Paul,

You will love the AOS :D

Word of caution about the San Juan Airport on a Sunday!!!! It's a flippin zoo! Make sure you are there at least a full 2 hours before your scheduled departure, as the lines to check in will be long. Plan to be at the airport no later than 3pm if your plane leaves at 5pm. Even before if you can swing it. I remember arriving at SJU last year at around 10:00am and it was a 2 hour wait just to check in :(

Our flights have always left San Juan by about 3pm, so we have always just gotten off the ship and headed straight to the airport - so no luggage stowing issues for us. If you were going to rent a car - you will be able to put the luggage in the trunk?

Have a fabulous cruise!!!!

We just booked 7388 B2B on AOS. We were very excited about the balcony too! Do you guys know what the cabin itself is like? Is it smaller than the other cabins or a different configuration?

We were in this cabin last Sept. and I don't think its any different than any other cabin in that catergory. There was plenty of room and a loveseat. The balcony is HUGE, we had 2 loungers and 2 chairs and a table. Be careful though if you go out there in the evening the quiet and the wake will put you to sleep. We fell asleep a couple of different evenings man I cant wait to get back.:D

We were in this cabin last Sept. and I don't think its any different than any other cabin in that catergory. There was plenty of room and a loveseat. The balcony is HUGE, we had 2 loungers and 2 chairs and a table. Be careful though if you go out there in the evening the quiet and the wake will put you to sleep. We fell asleep a couple of different evenings man I cant wait to get back.:D

The main thing I noticed about this cabin was the balcony - it is really huge!!! Friends of mine had it on the Mariner and I went to see it, and absolutely loved that balcony :) I think they could have had the entire gang from the Meet and Mingle on that balcony with no problems at all!!!

Thanks. I am really excited about it, too. I can just picture us asleep there in the 90 degree sun right now! I thought that I had read somewhere that there wasn't a couch in the cabin so I was wondering. We had the pleasure of having an Owners Suite on a cruise last year. That had 2 balconies wrapped around the front of the ship and man! Whooo. Lovely. We had our first Aft balcony in September and we loved it. DO you know if this (7388) balcony gets sun. I do like the fact that it is covered but would enjoy laying in the sun sometimes.

Thanks. I am really excited about it, too. I can just picture us asleep there in the 90 degree sun right now! I thought that I had read somewhere that there wasn't a couch in there so I was wondering. We had the pleasure of having an Owners Suite on a cruise last year. That had 2 balconies and man! Whooo. Lovely. DO you know if this (7388) balconmy gets sun. I do like the fact that it is covered but would enjoy laying in the sun sometimes.

There is some sun. My wife laid out and got some sun one day. You have to put your chair along the edge. It is mostly shade though and when the ship is moving, ah I thought I was in Heaven, A beautiful view out the side and the rear and a wonderful ocean breeze. Sounds like a commercial huh.

I think you could have a meet and mingle there. I know you could fit 20 people on it.

Thank you for this thread. I was going to take the family on this cruise in August 2008 but booked Explorer in January 2009 instead because of all the negative reviews about the AOS cruise. I bought a "Next Cruise" while on Enchantment last week and will be using it to book an AOS cruise for me the my DH. If I like it, the following year I will go back and take the itinerary that stops in Aruba.

There is some sun. My wife laid out and got some sun one day. You have to put your chair along the edge. It is mostly shade though and when the ship is moving, ah I thought I was in Heaven, A beautiful view out the side and the rear and a wonderful ocean breeze. Sounds like a commercial huh.

I think you could have a meet and mingle there. I know you could fit 20 people on it.

No doubt. You surely made me smile! Now if I can live through the Michigan winter and get to my cruise date I'll be doing just fine! That sounds perfect since my husband prefers the shade. I anticipate many peaceful nights!

My family just returned form AOS yesterday. We had so much fun! I had read many negative reviews about the ship but I had nothing to worry about. The crew went out of the way to entertain my kids (10 and 5). This cruise was also a Quinceaneras (sp?) cruise with lots of teenage girls and thier extended families.

A note to those expecting to get on the ship at 11 am-it may not happen. We lined up at the pier at 11am and there was still lots of people left to get off the ship. The doors to the terminal opened about noon and the building quickly filled up (we were lucky, we got inside and found chairs), then they closed the doors leaving about 2500 people outside in steamy heat and pouring rain. We were finally allowed on the ship at 2pm. At 5pm we could still see a very long line waiting to be checked in. The reason for the delay was customs and immigration.

I hope to post a full review in the coming days.

Pam

Anyone who recently traveled on the AOS....

Do you remember whether USAir was taking luggage outside the terminal after the cruise. I have heard that they are not part of the $20 program but that they do pickup outside the terminal. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks,

Kathy

We are a lot alike, I also prefer the shade and my wife lives for the sun and we are here suffering through an Ohio winter. I just looked at your sail date and we are just a few weeks behind you, 9/21.

Oh. I guess i missed that. I just went back and read that you are getting 7388 and your friends 7688 again this coming September. I guess we better take good care of it then!;)

we are booked on AOS on April 13, looking forward to a wonderful time! we have sailed on Princess out of san juan before and ready to repeat a great experience here. have done Explorer several years ago and sowe know that the Voyager class ship will be a great trip!

My only concern is conflicting reports on what time we sail...but I guess it really doesn't matter much since we are flying in the day before anyway!

Beverly

My only concern is conflicting reports on what time we sail...but I guess it really doesn't matter much since we are flying in the day before anyway!

Beverly

The AOS sets sail from San Juan at 8:30pm :) Used to be 10pm, but that changed almost a year ago.

Archived