For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Being from Canada - I look at everyone from the U.S as having "American" accents! Doesn't bother me in the least - I kinda like it actually! :)

Being from New York, I don't mind it either. Moreover, I enjoy talking to others from outside our country, because they bring a whole new light on our lives. For example, I enjoyed talking to the son of tenants of mine from Australia -- his family had a distinct Australian accent, but more important, his talking about his native land, including the animals and his outlook on the world was most refreshing. I told his mother I hope he didn't lose his ideas going to school in New York -- thank g-d he didn't. You Canadians do the same.:)

First let me say that I too loved sailing on the AOS, and have also cruised out of San Juan several years ago on Monarch of the Seas. We love the Southern Caribbean!

However...I do have to disagree about one thing. We did encounter a lot of rudeness from the Puerto Rican passengers on the ship. Please don't jump all over me...I am absolutely not racist or anything like that. But we spent a lot of time feeling frustrated over dealing with being pushed, shoved, cut in front of every time we were in line for something, and dealing with lots of loud obnoxious behavior.

This isn't enough to deter us from ever sailing out of San Juan again, but it was one of the reasons we decided on the Liberty sailing out of Miami for our upcoming cruise.

Jordan - I would never jump all over someone for having an opinion! That's what Cruise Critic is all about - opinions. I am also not going to dispute your experience with rudeness on your cruise - it was your experience and you know what took place. I guess the original purpose of this thread was to let folks know that rude behaviour on cruise ships is not exclusive to sailings out of San Juan, or with Puerto Rican passengers. Many people have come on this thread and others and described acts of rudeness on many other ships sailing from various ports. I want potential AOS cruisers to realize that rude people can come from anywhere, and that they should not base their decision to sail out of San Juan because they think the people from that area may be rude.....do you see my point?

Glad you will sail out of San Juan again - that is good to hear :)

Have a wonderful cruise on the Liberty!

I have been on nine cruises and my favorite was the Adventure of the Seas. It was my honeymoon and the most amazing vacation I have been on. I wish I could go back again, but airfare to San Juan is so expensive.

Not sure where you are from? Many folks have said they have gotten great deals on airfare out of NY on JetBlue .....

I know how you feel though....I am in Canada and the airfare is very expensive to fly direct from Toronto to San Juan :o

For AOS what is the best dining time? Usually we do the late seating but on our late cruise (Southern Destiny) we did the early. We found that a lot of people did not even come at all! Since we enjoy meeting people at dinner but also enjoy the shows what would be our best choice? Also, I read somewhere that they were starting to offer anytime dining. Is this true?

We too like the early dining so that we can attend the shows. On our AOS cruise, we had a table for eight; everyone showed up every night -- a wonderful group. We missed two evenings: one for Portofinos and one for an awesome restaurant in Aruba. To my knowledge, RCI to date has been testing the waters with respect to anytime dining on certain sailings of the Freedom and perhaps some other ships. Who knows what the situation will be by the time you sail. If it remains the same, enjoy first time dining. Get a feel for the group the first day; should no one or a few people only show up, see the maitre d' and get a different table.

I think dining times are a very personal choice for a variety of reasons...for us, we choose early seating because we sail with our 11 yr old DD - and we are used to eating at around that time when we are at home. The plus as far as late seating is concerned is that you don't have to "rush" to get ready for dinner!

I for one would welcome "anytime dining" on the AOS :) I think 7pm would be a perfect time for dinner!

I would like the anytime dining. We did that on Princess and Norwegian and we usually ate around 7. We still met lots of fun people because we asked to sit at a large table. It wopuld be nice to have the option to do either one.

Maybe RCI will test the anytime dining option on the AOS? If they do....I don't think it will be in time for my B2B cruises coming up in a few weeks :( You may be in luck for next summer though!!!

Not sure where you are from? Many folks have said they have gotten great deals on airfare out of NY on JetBlue .....

I know how you feel though....I am in Canada and the airfare is very expensive to fly direct from Toronto to San Juan :o

If you are in Toronto, you should always check the prices on Jetblue from Buffalo. Just drive to Buffalo and go from there, loads of Torontoans do it and may save you tons.

I'm from Los Angeles, and when comparing cruises, it's usually 100-200 cheaper per person to fly to FL instead of San Juan. Plus, if we go to San Juan I would want to stay there a couple days pre-cruise because I love it so much. Ends up being twice as much...

I'm from Los Angeles, and when comparing cruises, it's usually 100-200 cheaper per person to fly to FL instead of San Juan. Plus, if we go to San Juan I would want to stay there a couple days pre-cruise because I love it so much. Ends up being twice as much...

We are sailing on AOS on Feb.3rd, and we are sooooo excited! I was a little nervous booking this cruise with all that I read on the boards, but I am very happy that we didnt cancel. We have a group of 24 and it will be alot of fun!

Our airfare out of Buffalo was $280.00 on US air, you cant beat that price! It might even be worth the drive from Toronto to fly out of Buffalo!

Sandy :)

We are sailing on AOS on Feb.3rd, and we are sooooo excited! I was a little nervous booking this cruise with all that I read on the boards, but I am very happy that we didnt cancel. We have a group of 24 and it will be alot of fun!

Our airfare out of Buffalo was $280.00 on US air, you cant beat that price! It might even be worth the drive from Toronto to fly out of Buffalo!

I would like to wish you and your entire group a fantastic cruise!!! :D

Friends of ours are flying out of Buffalo to meet us on our 2nd week of our B2B on the AOS - they got a good deal for 5 people, much better than direct out of Toronto :o

Has anyone here been on on the AOS recently. I am trying my hardest to find recent cruise compasses. The last ones I can find on cruise daillies, webshots and here were over a year ago.

I would love the Day 1 especially. I am trying to figure out how to manage drill, dinner, family welcome show at the ice rink, adventure ocean open house and registration, and Welcome Aboard Show in the theater! :eek:

Has anyone here been on on the AOS recently. I am trying my hardest to find recent cruise compasses. The last ones I can find on cruise daillies, webshots and here were over a year ago.

I would love the Day 1 especially. I am trying to figure out how to manage drill, dinner, family welcome show at the ice rink, adventure ocean open house and registration, and Welcome Aboard Show in the theater! :eek:

Love to have those compasses..leaving April 6..:D :D

CkRobyn:You are the best! I have my cruise set for November -- BIG 50th and cannot wait. I have family and friends coming and I was a little worried until I read some of your other comments. By the way..........I cannot wait to get back to Toronto! Love that city!! Enjoy your next cruise on AOS.

Archived