For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I wish they did too!

The airfare from Toronto to San Juan kills me every year!!! :D Oh well...the AOS is worth it!

Explorer of the Seas has a 12 night Southern out of Bayonne NJ which should be cheaper to fly to than SJ.

? for ckrobyn or anyone who could answer. If you get to the pier around 11:30 do you have to line up outside in the heat or do you line up inside to go in. Do you go through security 1st and then go to priority checkin? Is it well marked for the priority checkin line? This will be the 1st time we will be taking a cab with our luggage from the hotel. Usually we use the cruiseline transport and they take care of our luggage. Will there be porters where the cabs drop you off to take the luggage off our hands or do we have to haul it somewhere ourselves? Anyone been in the OS 1320, it looks like its mid hump but does anyone know if its the BR window or the balcony that is midhump? Also do the OS have two entrances to the bathroom like on Princess? When you are traveling with teens it's nice to be able to enter the bathroom from the bedroom and not disturb them. Thanks!

Initially you will be lining up outside the terminal building - until they open the main doors to allow check in. I usually get to the port at around 10:30am and it is not hot outside yet :o just nice and warm! The porter who takes your luggage will see "suite" on it and direct you to the right line. I don't remember it being clearly marked "suite guests for priority boarding" - but there is a line that will form for priority boarding. The porters will approach you and take your luggage almost immediately - no lugging required!

1320 is in a great location - center hump! You will have a great view forward and aft. You may find the balcony not as big as you would have expected though....seems as if all the space is inside the cabin rather than the balcony. There are not 2 entrances to the bathroom as far as I know.

I missed the show about the AOS on Travel Channel :( :(

Did anyone watch it??? Learn anything new???

This is an old show that is repeated periodically so I'm sure you'll be able to catch it again soon, just check the Travel Channel's web site. It is a very good show done in the first year the AOS came out. If you've been on her, you probably won't learn anything new, except there are some nice behind the scenes segments. It will make you want to be on a cruise/help cure cabin fever! There is also an almost identical show on the Radiance in Alaska as well.

This is an old show that is repeated periodically so I'm sure you'll be able to catch it again soon, just check the Travel Channel's web site. It is a very good show done in the first year the AOS came out. If you've been on her, you probably won't learn anything new, except there are some nice behind the scenes segments. It will make you want to be on a cruise/help cure cabin fever! There is also an almost identical show on the Radiance in Alaska as well.

Thanks toonjie! I know the AOS pretty well, but it is always nice to see the "behind the scenes" segments.

I was fortunate to be invited on a full Bridge tour - now THAT was thrilling! :D

I enjoyed the behind the scenes,esp. the inside of the PH suite, since I doubt I will ever occupy it!

I hear you! Are you referring to the Royal Suite??? On my B2B last year on turnaround day - while the attendants were servicing all the cabins and all the passengers had left the ship.....I snuck into the Royal Suite just to see what it looked like - very impressive :) Will I ever occupy it??? Probably not - but it was neat to see!!!

Thanks toonjie! I know the AOS pretty well, but it is always nice to see the "behind the scenes" segments.

I was fortunate to be invited on a full Bridge tour - now THAT was thrilling! :D

I would love a full bridge tour! (haven't been on one since pre-911 days when you could just sign up on some lines.) We sat with tablemates that were D+ and Norwegian and knew just about every captain in the fleet personally, so we got to meet Capt. Olav Nyseter last year. He came to our table during dinner just to talk, boy did that turn heads in the dining room! His son is the Capt. now so looking forward to meeting him.

After reading all the negative reviews I'm starting to get a bit nervous about this trip.

I just searched youtube for videos on the aos, this came up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHRijOo2aM

Where is the staff when all this is going on?

With all due respect.......do you really trust youtube as a source for accurate information? :rolleyes: Looks like that video was completely "staged".

There are negatives AND positives to all ships. I have always said that people need to form their own opinions and not base their decision to cruise or not to cruise the AOS on what they may have "heard" or "read".

There are plenty of us on this thread that can tell you with complete confidence....the AOS is a great ship!!!! :D

With all due respect.......do you really trust youtube as a source for accurate information? :rolleyes: Looks like that video was completely "staged".

There are negatives AND positives to all ships. I have always said that people need to form their own opinions and not base their decision to cruise or not to cruise the AOS on what they may have "heard" or "read".

There are plenty of us on this thread that can tell you with complete confidence....the AOS is a great ship!!!! :D

I agree that the kid getting smacked could have been staged. but, where were staff/security when the kids were jumping down the stairs? I'm sure that wasn't the most quiet thing in the world. I'm all for having fun, but someone, not just the jumpers could have been seriously hurt if they were coming around the corner during that. I'm trying to go into this with an open mind, but then I see something like that and it kind of confirms what the negative reviewers are saying about the crowd. I would like to think that it was an isolated incident.

I agree that the kid getting smacked could have been staged. but, where were staff/security when the kids were jumping down the stairs? I'm sure that wasn't the most quiet thing in the world. I'm all for having fun, but someone, not just the jumpers could have been seriously hurt if they were coming around the corner during that. I'm trying to go into this with an open mind, but then I see something like that and it kind of confirms what the negative reviewers are saying about the crowd. I would like to think that it was an isolated incident.

How do we really know that these "jumpers" were actually on the AOS, and that it wasn't some other ship? :rolleyes: Even if they were on the AOS....how can the staff and/or security be expected to monitor the actions of everyone on the ship at any given time? I think these boys parents are the one's who should be held responsible - they obviously had no idea where their boys were or what they were up to.

I too would like to think these types of behaviours are in fact isolated. I personally have never witnessed anything like it on the AOS or any other ship for that matter.

Why not focus on the positive aspects of the AOS? There are many good examples of why you should cruise on the AOS right here on this very thread!!! :)

How do we really know that these "jumpers" were actually on the AOS, and that it wasn't some other ship? :rolleyes: Even if they were on the AOS....how can the staff and/or security be expected to monitor the actions of everyone on the ship at any given time? I think these boys parents are the one's who should be held responsible - they obviously had no idea where their boys were or what they were up to.

I too would like to think these types of behaviours are in fact isolated. I personally have never witnessed anything like it on the AOS or any other ship for that matter.

Why not focus on the positive aspects of the AOS? There are many good examples of why you should cruise on the AOS right here on this very thread!!! :)

The positive aspects are why I'm cruising on it. I'm still going with an open mind.

Good to hear! I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise :)

Question for you... Are we able to check in, give them our luggage and all that and then leave the ship for a bit before it leaves at 8:30? We're staying in San Juan the night before and I believe check out is at 11am. I'd like to be able to get my card and then maybe go sight seeing before we leave.

Looks staged to me.

I would like to know where the parents are! Seems to me if they took more responsibility there wouldn't be these types of behaviors. Why is it that people never wanted to look at the parents, only other people? Not disrespecting you at all mikeqube, just a general statement that people won't blame the parents.

Also, the whole video is 3-4 segments lasting only 15-20 seconds each! Staff could have shown up right when the video cut out. This stupid behavior by teens happens everywhere, I see it even at the local mall does that mean I should avoid the malL? The reality is there are only so many staff/security/whatever to cover a large area and they can't be everywhere all the time.

If someone is that worried about teens screwing around, well then maybe cruising isn't for you. Although, I truly don't know how you can go anywhere outside your home and not run into people that may behave this way. Again, maybe if parents would take more responsibilty, somce of these things wouldn't happen. Of course, I have seen plenty adults acting pretty darn stupid at times too.

JMHO, no flames please.

Sailing on AOS 4/13/08 and really looking forward to it. Haven't sailed from San Juan in about 12 years - spending 2 days before and 1 day after cruise in San Juan. Now to the subject - we were on another cruise line a couple of years ago B2B and the first week was just loaded with kids and teens that did not seem to have any supervision. Not only were the kids rude but so were alot of the parents. As a matter of fact, one of the teen got into a fist fight at the pool, his father got involved and they were both ejected from the cruise in the bahamas. Lock-stock and barrel put off the ship to fend for themselves. You can have rude people and parents that just don't seem to care what their children are doing or where they are on any cruise. It is just the luck of the draw. The 2nd week of our B2B was wonderful. Seemed like a different ship. The best thing - go with an open mind. Remember, you are on vacation.

Question for you... Are we able to check in, give them our luggage and all that and then leave the ship for a bit before it leaves at 8:30? We're staying in San Juan the night before and I believe check out is at 11am. I'd like to be able to get my card and then maybe go sight seeing before we leave.

Mike - absolutely! You can check in - and then head out into San Juan for the afternoon. Just remember to bring your passport and sea pass card :)

I have adjoining rooms 9637-9639. They are next to the Conciere club.

I have 3 children under 7 and this was the only adjoining rooms they had for Feb 3 2008. Any other options or is this ok?

Thanks

You will be fine. The cabins are behind a wall and you won't be disturbed by either the Concierge Lounge or the elevators. The Concierge Lounge is at it's busiest between 5-8:30pm - after that there is no free booze so it will empty out!!! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm packed and off to bed for my early pick up for the airport! It's fianlly time!! :D

Robyn and everyone on this thread-THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

I will report back and probably be depressed that my vacation is over. But-for now-Way too excited!

Well, I'm packed and off to bed for my early pick up for the airport! It's fianlly time!! :D

Robyn and everyone on this thread-THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

I will report back and probably be depressed that my vacation is over. But-for now-Way too excited!

YAY!!!! Have a great trip! Can't wait to hear from you.

Archived