Sail Away Parties

Shawski

I was browsing through some posts from the last few months and was disappointed to read a couple of posts which mentioned that the sail away parties were indoors rather than out on the deck. I've cruised Regent twice in the last two years (Alaska on Mariner and Baltic on Voyager) and both times we had very nice sail away parties on the deck. Is this a change for Regent, or just something that depends on which cruise you're on?

We had one on deck for our Nice-Dover cruise last June. But it started pouring rain after about 10 min. Thank heavens I had already grabbed my food--they had shrimp, oysters, that Thai beef and chicken that is on a skewer, guac and chips, and a bunch of other stuff. Drinks flowed freely. A couple of big ice sculptures. When it started raining, they hauled everything under the area where they serve breakfast and lunch buffets, but it was a little water logged.

We loved that cruise. All of the ports were enjoyable. We lucked out in not having any rain, as it had been a very rainy summer on the BI. I do wish that they had included a stop at the Isle of Man though, as I have ancestors from there. Oh well, perhaps next time ;)

On our last cruise (April of last year) there was not a sail away party. They had a block party that we really enjoyed -- meeting people from other suites on our deck. It was a good way to meet your fellow travelers. Perhaps Regent should have both (weather permitting)

Last month we had a sailaway party on deck on Voyager. The block party was held at a different time. I preferred it that way, although the sailaway turned into a kind of non-event, since our departure was delayed out of Fort Lauderdale. We could hear Navigator departing however, sounded like they had a great sailaway, with Captain McNeil's bagpipe music.

We are on the Mariner now - Callao to Buenos Aires. Unless I have seriously missed something I am not aware that there has been a single sail away party. LOADS of other parties though, including the "block party" - which I am not sure is a great thing! Maybe the new all inclusive policy has ended the sail away parties? Don't know!

No, the inclusive policy has not affected the sailaway parties. There was one even on my little 3-day cruise on Navigator out of FLL in December. Not a big elaborate thing, just people gathered on deck, food and drinks served, and the band playing. Then, of course, the bagpipes as we pulled out.

I would love to know about the sailway on PG too -searching all the threads on this ship Wendy:cool:

I take it the 'block' party is something belonging to Regent, as I have never heard of it on any of our previous cruises. Even after all this time I am still learning :D

Yes, the PG does a great sailaway! I was on it in May, and we sailed about 11:00 pm. While the px were dancing on the deck, the townspeople were partying on the pier. It was a very lively setting. The ship's band, Sligo, played and they are so good that it really "makes" a party.

I suppose that if the sailing is too much delayed--as I understand it sometimes is if there's a flight delayed--the sailaway may be skipped. But we were an hour late pulling out, and they started the party as though we were going to sail at 10:00. We just didn't actually move til later.

Ah, so they still do it! I'm just hoping Siglo will still be on next December!

Unfortunately, jetlag being what it is, not sure we would make it up that late. I tend to enjoy that western jetlag, getting up early in the morning so I can see the sunrise is a real treat. But it does put a crimp in your nightlife.

Archived