Cruising out of Venice Italy, what is the primary language spoken onboard the cruise?

librarygal

Our next cruise will be from Venice Italy to the Greek Islands, on an American based cruiseline (Princess). I understand that there will be passengers from all over the world. I also understand there will be announcements in a variety of languages but what language will be PRIMARY?

For example: What language will the waiters/crew speak to us in? What language will be cruise director speak to us in? What language will the shows be in? English? German, Italian? Greek?

On all Princess ships, the primary language spoke to the guests is English. They will also do annoucements in different langauge if there is a large number of passengers sailing together, such as a group from Spain or Germany. We've only had that happen once on any of our cruises.

Charlie

We sailed from Venice on the Royal Princess in November. Everything was in English. I cannot remember any announcements being given in any other laungage. All shore excursions were only in English.

Also on the Royal Princess, in July. Happened to notice that one of the excursions, to Troy, where there were a large number of buses, actually did have one excursion labeled as "Spanish Tour". So some tours (labeled ones) may be in another language, especially if large numbers of passengers that speak that language are on board.

Otherwise, everything was in English only. Wouldn't have particularly minded announcements in French/German as well, but didn't hear any.

• 6 months later...

Hi, Beverly! Just wanted to say hello to you and Greg, and how nice it was meeting both of you on the Quest!

Have you made any plans yet for next Spring to Greece and Turkey? Please keep Marianne and me posted. We are still looking for something which covers a lot of ground with overnight in Istanbul and Venice, with Katakalon, Rhodes, Corfu possibly and of course Athens. But without a stop in Egypt. We really want to stay in the Adriatic Sea area primarily.

American English . :D ;)

LMAO, Does that tranlate to the queen's english.

Really, You are exactly right.

That is what I like about where I live, East Tennessee, USA. it is the the only place in the world I've found where people do not talk funny.;)

On Princess cruises in Europe, English is always the primary language. On some cruises, when there are a number of nationals from other countries, they will also make annoucements in one or two additional languages.

Hank

On Emerald out of Venice last year the Captain was Italian but English was spoken. The only thing I missed was the amusing Captain`s speech on Captian`s Cocktail night. The Captain`s english wasn`t too good so the jokes were left out.

There were a lot of British entertainment crew onboard.

Archived