Ft. Lauderdale hotel recommendations (for pre-cruise)?

Nacwolin

Does anyone have any info on the Crown Plaza Beach hotel? We are Holiday Inn Priority club members, and can get 2 free nites there pre-cruise Christmas '08. I called the hotel, and they said they were 20 min. from the port, which is a bit far for me. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn airport/seaport. (about 1 mile from the port) We I have read the reveiws on Trip Advisor, but wonder if anyone here has "first hand" info. I would love to stay by the beach for a change! Thanks for any help.

If I'm not mistaken, the Crown Plaza recently took over this property and it is in Hollywood not Fort Lauderdale. It is across the street from the beach and has a great pool area.

I'm sorry I can't tell you more about it but I only saw it from the water on the backside. Would I stay here? In a heartbeat.

BlueHeron - thanks for the reply. Rooms are going for $279 and up - in my book, getting 2 nites for free is something hard to pass up. Hotel looks lovely. I was just worried about being so far from the port. Don't know how cabs run from there, or price for one to port. Maybe I'll stay 2 nites there, and move to HI Airport/Seaport for nite before. (are leaving on Miracle Dec. 23 - coming into FLL on the 20th)

BlueHeron - thanks for the reply. Rooms are going for $279 and up - in my book, getting 2 nites for free is something hard to pass up. Hotel looks lovely. I was just worried about being so far from the port. Don't know how cabs run from there, or price for one to port. Maybe I'll stay 2 nites there, and move to HI Airport/Seaport for nite before. (are leaving on Miracle Dec. 23 - coming into FLL on the 20th)

I would stay there the entire time. It is in a really nice stretch of beach. You are cruising from Port Everglades correct? It isn't that much farther out than the 17th Street or Beach hotels. Only a couple of more minutes and a much more pleasant environment.

If I'm not mistaken, it is practically on top of the new Marriott. Bequia?

To: Nacwolin

The last time I checked the hotel rates quoted by Princess are per person. I notice someone recommended Ramada and I second that. It's not five star, but it is quite nice. It has a shuttle from the airport and to the ship. The breakfast is good. This will be the second time we will stay there. (Mar 3&4)

I don't really know the "location" of the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach hotel in reference to Port Everglades - yes, that is where we are sailing out of. The hotel looks beautiful in pictures - but I don't want to get hit with a ton of traffic getting to the port, or a large taxi fare. As I said earlier - we usually stay at HI Airport/Seaport, but don't really want to spend 3 pre-cruise days there. Would rather be at the beach. Thanks for the help - it is much appreciated.

Old rooms, bad neighborhood

Bequia, I didn't recommend the Ramada. I think you got my quote mixed up, you know me, I say stay far far away.

I was asking about the location of the Crown Plaza. Isn't it very close to the new Marriott? I've only seen the Crown Plaza from the back.

We took the boat from Fort Lauderdale to South Beach to pick up our bibs for the marathon.

I dropped in on the new St. Regis! OMG gorgeous!

Have you been to Nikki Marina yet at the Westin Diplomat?

SPENT some money on food, cocktails, and clothes on Las Olas! (what is the name of the store next to Big City Tavern?)

I know, we share the same sentiments about the hotels on SR84, sorry about that.

The Crowne Plaza is way south of the HB Marriott, it's jus south of the Diplomat on the corner of A1A and Hallandale Beach Blvd. It's not a very attractive property, can't quite figure out what it was before, looked to be a condo??

The St Regis is gourgeous, to bad it's not located where the Yankee Clipper is. Then it would probably attain the coveted 5 star(it only got a 4 this year). As long as you have to cross a highway to get to the beach I don't think they'll ever get it.

I was at the Nikki for a media event over the holidays, it's the bomb. ;)

Bequia -

Thank you for all your anwers on this board. You are obviously very knowledgable about F.L. Not to beat a dead horse (but I want to make reservations asap, as we are sailing during Christmas week) but how far is the Crown Plaza Hollywood Beach from Port Everglades? (by taxi) And how far is that hotel from FLL airport? Either way, for 2 nights free lodging, I guess I should take a chance and book it? My BIL wants to fly into MIA, stay there 2 days, then get to the port and stay overnight one night there. He feels it will be way warmer in Miami. I don't think so, and I don't want to drag all the luggage and 7 people for a few degrees of warmer weather. Opinion?

Bequia -

Thank you for all your anwers on this board. You are obviously very knowledgable about F.L. Not to beat a dead horse (but I want to make reservations asap, as we are sailing during Christmas week) but how far is the Crown Plaza Hollywood Beach from Port Everglades? (by taxi) And how far is that hotel from FLL airport? Either way, for 2 nights free lodging, I guess I should take a chance and book it? My BIL wants to fly into MIA, stay there 2 days, then get to the port and stay overnight one night there. He feels it will be way warmer in Miami. I don't think so, and I don't want to drag all the luggage and 7 people for a few degrees of warmer weather. Opinion?

I just checked weather.com and it's 75 in Miami now and 73 in Fort lauderdale.

If it was 10 degrees different I'd do it but not 2.

Bill

Bequia -

You had me wondering, so I checked www.weather.com for the averages for December 25th, and got a surprise.

Location...........Ave High...Ave Low

Miami Beach........74.........64......

Fort Lauderdale....76.........61......

When I tried to book a hotel room last October for one night

pre-cruise, it coincided with the annual boat show and all of the hotels near the pier were either booked or very expensive.

Growing desperate, I found the Ramada Inn near the airport

for $90 and considered myself lucky.

The price included shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and to the pier. It included a complementary hot breakfast. We ate in one of the restaurants that night and the food was good. So was the breakfast.

The room was clean and had a king sized bed, large TV, an

ironing board and free in room coffee or tea in the morning.

We were pleased with the hotel.

Good luck in which hotel you select but recommend you book

early.

Thanks for the review. I haven't stayed at this location, but have reserved a room for 1 night pre-cruise for October. We're flying into FLL, but departing from POM. I reserved at a cost of $128.00 and since it includes tranfsers for 2 of us and breakfast, I'm not going to complain.

If I want to go out to dinner, there are cabs and places to go within 5 miles.

IMO these boards are a great for people to share their experiences, but not always their biased opinions. I think it's great that there's so much local knowledge, but I wonder when the last time any of the "locals" stayed at these locations.

Local info is helpful, but I think it's always a good idea to check travel boards/web sites for current, up to date reviews. I checked the most recent reviews for this Ramada tonight and the avg rating was a 3. OK for 1 night:)

Thanks for the review. I haven't stayed at this location, but have reserved a room for 1 night pre-cruise for October. We're flying into FLL, but departing from POM. I reserved at a cost of $128.00 and since it includes tranfsers for 2 of us and breakfast, I'm not going to complain.

IMO these boards are a great for people to share their experiences, but not always their biased opinions. I think it's great that there's so much local knowledge, but I wonder when the last time any of the "locals" stayed at these locations.

Local info is helpful, but I think it's always a good idea to check travel boards/web sites for current, up to date reviews. I checked the most recent reviews for this Ramada tonight and the avg rating was a 3. OK for 1 night:)

when you say you have transfers for 2, is that to the port? Or from the airport to the hotel?

Bill

Are you staying in Fort Lauderdale and cruising out of Miami? The Ramada in Fort Lauderdale will probably not shuttle you to the Port of Miami for free.

Also, when in October? The reason I ask is because that is an expensive rate for a hotel that is a dump (and in a horrible crime infested location). I'm wondering if your dates aren't over the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show.

If they are, you can get a much nicer hotel in Miami for $128 because it will be off season.

when you say you have transfers for 2, is that to the port? Or from the airport to the hotel?

Bill

Bill,

The transfers are from FLL Airport to the hotel and in the morning to the Port of Miami.

Yes, for 2.

Are you staying in Fort Lauderdale and cruising out of Miami? The Ramada in Fort Lauderdale will probably not shuttle you to the Port of Miami for free.

Also, when in October? The reason I ask is because that is an expensive rate for a hotel that is a dump (and in a horrible crime infested location). I'm wondering if your dates aren't over the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show.

If they are, you can get a much nicer hotel in Miami for $128 because it will be off season.

We're booked for 1 night, 10/19 and yes 2 transfers are to POM. Again, you note the hotel as a "dump", but the past reviews on TripAdvisor state otherwise. I won't question the fact that the area has crime, since I don't live there and don't know the "neighborhood". But quite frankly, I'm not going to be too concerned, since I won't be out after dark walking the streets.

The reason why we're not flying into MIA, is due to the flight schedule from CO., which is not condusive to flying anywhere east and is more expensive to MIA vs FLL. I priced MIA hotels and you're right they're a bit cheaper, but I was sold by the flights.

Anyway, I'm a true believer of these boards and will post a review when I come back. Until then, I'll continue to share the Ramada as a hotel resource, as I'm sure you'll share your knowledge with the area.

Options are wonderful:D

afcj1,

I have also booked the Ramada, sight unseen, for one night pre-cruise for the same reasons you did. Our flight arrives at 7:30 p.m., the shuttle picks us up and takes us to the hotel, there is a restaurant in the hotel for a quick bite to eat, breakfast at the hotel in the morning is included, and the shuttle takes us back to Port Everglades in the morning.

The restaurant is said to be basic but good food; I don't normally eat in upscale restaurants at home, and I'll be on a ship for 10 days where I can eat whatever my little heart desires.

It may be a rough neighbourhood, but I won't be leaving the hotel, and there were absolutely no reports on TripAdvisor about anyone being robbed or mugged, or even feeling unsafe.

Our stay will be the night of March 24; I will try to remember to report back here with a first hand report upon my return.

Bonnie

afcj1,

I have also booked the Ramada, sight unseen, for one night pre-cruise for the same reasons you did. Our flight arrives at 7:30 p.m., the shuttle picks us up and takes us to the hotel, there is a restaurant in the hotel for a quick bite to eat, breakfast at the hotel in the morning is included, and the shuttle takes us back to Port Everglades in the morning.

The restaurant is said to be basic but good food; I don't normally eat in upscale restaurants at home, and I'll be on a ship for 10 days where I can eat whatever my little heart desires.

It may be a rough neighbourhood, but I won't be leaving the hotel, and there were absolutely no reports on TripAdvisor about anyone being robbed or mugged, or even feeling unsafe.

Our stay will be the night of March 24; I will try to remember to report back here with a first hand report upon my return.

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie.

It fit my needs, so in the big scheme of it, I'm sure it'll be fine. Have a great cruise:)

Annette

Archived