Motorcycle on cruise ship?

lazyguy

I'm thinking on riding my Motorcycle up to Alaska this summer then taking a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver some time in July. Does anybody know of any cruise ships that would let me take my motorcycle as cargo? I know the Alaska ferry system will do this but I'm striking out with the cruise lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems I read about a Harley themed cruise which allowed the cycles onboard. Now if I could remember the cruise line. Check on *****.com under their themed cruise listings.

But again, that might only be allowed for specific cruises. I'd call all the lines direct that you'd be interested in and ask which ships would work for you...if any.

I wouldn't take my bike on a carribean cruise. At almost every port I have been to, people drive like maniacs and we really don't have that much time in any port. My parents bought an Alaska ferry pass a few years ago and loved it. While the ferries are nothing like a cruise ship, you do have the freedom of staying at a port for as long as you want and you would be able to tool around for a few days and then ride to the next port and just hop on a ferry again.

• 3 months later...
I wouldn't take my bike on a carribean cruise. At almost every port I have been to, people drive like maniacs and we really don't have that much time in any port.

Well, if you don't try riding the islands as a group with the only TA allowed to do this and only on RCCL, you are missing out on a fabulous time!!

You pretty much have to be part of a large group who charter part of the ship in order to do this. I know there have been HOG groups on board RCCI and Carnival ships. I had a friend who wanted to do what you're asking, and the cruise lines either wanted a ton of money for the "cargo" or they flatly said no. Good Luck

I'm thinking on riding my Motorcycle up to Alaska this summer then taking a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver some time in July. Does anybody know of any cruise ships that would let me take my motorcycle as cargo? I know the Alaska ferry system will do this but I'm striking out with the cruise lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will have a far superior time taking your bike home on the Alaska Ferry. A couple of my employees have done it. They had a great time and actually got to see something extra of Alaska, not just a 6 hour port stop. One of them ran into a group of people that were counting bears for the government. He kind of invited himself along for the day. Had a great time and got some spectacular pictures. The other one ran into a native family somewhere around Ketchikan. He got invited to their house for some kind of ceremony-IIRC, it was something about boys coming of age. He said it was fascinating and scary at the same time. And on the ferry you can get by with Levi's and T-shirts. You can't on the cruise ship, so what will you do for clothing??? Plan the ferry trip home-it will be a far superior experience.

Our friends did one of those motorcycle cruises three years ago. Their bike got so banged up on and off the ship and around the islands that they said NEVER again. Worse than Sturgis.

Our friends did one of those motorcycle cruises three years ago. Their bike got so banged up on and off the ship and around the islands that they said NEVER again. Worse than Sturgis.

Don't believe that for a minute. We have done the motorcycle cruise and the people that run it are actually over zealous about keeping the bikes safe and no scratches or harm to the bikes.

The bike operators take their own bikes on and off the ship so if you bang it up because you are "hot dogging" it to be a showoff then that was the operators fault and has nothing to do with this being a "rough on the bike" cruise. By the way, if you don't act like mature, responsible adults on your bikes you are not allowed back on this bike cruise.

There was always someone watching the bikes in ports if we were parked and off doing something and there was security on board to protect the bikes.

No chance that they got beat up on board or in ports unless your friends were careless. Not even close to the mess in Sturgis! Been there and done that too.

Would do this type bike cruise again in a heartbeat and, we are! So, this is just info to correct the false and erroneous info your friends gave you and you are passing on. If you haven't been there and done it you can't possibly know what actually happened.

Don't believe that for a minute. We have done the motorcycle cruise and the people that run it are actually over zealous about keeping the bikes safe and no scratches or harm to the bikes.

The bike operators take their own bikes on and off the ship so if you bang it up because you are "hot dogging" it to be a showoff then that was the operators fault and has nothing to do with this being a "rough on the bike" cruise. By the way, if you don't act like mature, responsible adults on your bikes you are not allowed back on this bike cruise.

There was always someone watching the bikes in ports if we were parked and off doing something and there was security on board to protect the bikes.

No chance that they got beat up on board or in ports unless your friends were careless. Not even close to the mess in Sturgis! Been there and done that too.

Would do this type bike cruise again in a heartbeat and, we are! So, this is just info to correct the false and erroneous info your friends gave you and you are passing on. If you haven't been there and done it you can't possibly know what actually happened.

Our friends live 2 houses away in the country-about a mile. We saw them off when they left for Florida. They stopped at our house on their way home to unload the bikes from OUR trailer. The bikes WERE damaged-one had a LARGE scratch along the frame. The other had a very noticeable dent in the rear fender. They weren't like that when we loaded them in OUR trailer. And we are not talking about show off kids-these are people in their mid 50's. The dent happened while Jan was taking her bike off the ship-another rider got too close. And the large scratch happened while in port. No idea how. Tim was pretty darn upset.

We ride-we sure wouldn't drag bikes on a cruise ship which is one BIG reason we didn't go with them (plus I have no desire to do a Caribbean cruise). We go to Laughlin every year and Sturgis most every year. I'll take my chances there.

After the Genesis comes out, you'll want a motorcycle just to get around the ship LOL.

That is the truth, have you seen the update on that ship, it is going to be gorgeous ship. I have been watching the progress on the website.

• 8 years later...

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean and there was a motorcycle group on board. At each port, they were the first to depart in a group with the bikes being unloaded from the hold. In fact, in one port, we were docked with the Celebrity Silhouette, who also had a motorcycle group on board. There were 43 in total in that port.

We've also been on Celebrity cruises that had a motorcycle group onboard. Friends we were traveling with is a rider, though he did not bring his bike on this cruise but he chatted them up. Seems it cost more for the bike than it cost for his ticket.

A motorcycle on a cruise ship?

I wouldn't think a cruiseline would accept that kind of liability.

D.

As others have posted there are motorcycle themed cruises sponsored - as one example - by RCI. The bikes are transported on board to the ports of call where the rides take place. I'm sure there is some form of insurance associated with this paid for by the participants which covers the cruise line liability. But this is done frequently and as another poster mentioned, there is at least one Captain that is an avid participant - Captain Johnny. Have met him and seen on a bridge tour one of the small bikes he keeps on the bridge that he rides frequently. He also has a Harley that is on board with him on every cruise.

Think about using the Alaska Marine Highway ferries instead. There will probably be lots of motorcycles on them. Cruising AK on a Marine Highway ferry is a neat experience. You meet lots of very interesting people.

DON

Think about using the Alaska Marine Highway ferries instead. There will probably be lots of motorcycles on them. Cruising AK on a Marine Highway ferry is a neat experience. You meet lots of very interesting people.

DON

As this is a 9 year old post, I'm sure the OP has already made their decision.