Curmudgeons not welcome!

CruseKrazy

Selling the Sea, An inside look at the cruise industry, 2nd ed, 2008, Bob Dickinson page 108:

Carnival's sales force tells its sales agents not to send "curmudgeonly clients" on Carnival. Let's face it: some people are happiest being sour and carping about everything; they seem to wear perpetually over starched underwear! If there's a sourpuss assigned to an otherwise affable, convivial table of six or eight, how pleaseant will that be for the majority? Therefore, it's not a luxury that Carnival can tell agents who not to send, but rather, a necessity.

Who are they talking about? Not us surely? :confused: :confused:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon

C'mon now, be honest...

Would you really want to go sailing with any of those ardent posters on the fuel supplement thread?

It's the only reason I never go to a CC get together when we sail!

There are just too many of the nay-sayers that I don't have any desire to know!

Of course, the last time we sailed (RH to Hawaii), I had a British lady tell me "that's the problem with you bloody Americans, you're always happy."

Do you reckon that's what they're saying on CC-UK?:D

Selling the Sea, An inside look at the cruise industry, 2nd ed, 2008, Bob Dickinson page 108:

Carnival's sales force tells its sales agents not to send "curmudgeonly clients" on Carnival. Let's face it: some people are happiest being sour and carping about everything; they seem to wear perpetually over starched underwear! If there's a sourpuss assigned to an otherwise affable, convivial table of six or eight, how pleaseant will that be for the majority? Therefore, it's not a luxury that Carnival can tell agents who not to send, but rather, a necessity.

Who are they talking about? Not us surely? :confused: :confused:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon

This just begs the question...

If they instruct their sales force not to send curmudgeons to Carnival... where do they send them??????

C'mon now, be honest...

Would you really want to go sailing with any of those ardent posters on the fuel supplement thread?

OMG!!!!!!! That is hysterical!!!!!! :D You are so right!

I had to unsubscribe from that thread earlier tonight----the sour pusses were out in full force! :eek: No thanks!!!

C'mon now, be honest...

I had to unsubscribe from that thread earlier tonight----the sour pusses were out in full force! :eek: No thanks!!!

Ah don't say curmedgeon....It reminds me of Folgy... :(

I miss Folgy too, Cat. I was going to reply earlier. (not now I guess:rolleyes: ) That RC was an odd one, with a very happy outcome, though. :)

"Selling the Sea" sounds interesting. I saw it was coming out. Maybe I will order it this weekend. That and "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" are both truly fascinating reads about the under side of the cruise industry. :D

The people who go on and on about what you're allowed to wear in the dining room ;)

Bet you are thinking only in America...:D

Some folks do like negative more than anything. Not about clothes in DR, but other CC hopped up with us in line to avoid getting stuck with a guy who had nothing nice to say about anything, I heard the guy complain and refused to turn around lest i get caugt up in the complaining...so until our CC friends came up to us,I didn't even know they were a few behind us in line...think in the end we all ended up with better eating companions.

Me, too, Catnip. I gave up on it weeks ago. However, I was interested in the class action lawsuit some idiot filed in Miami a few days ago. What was interesting in that thread is RCCL's fuel surcharge is LOWER than the other cruise lines.

Anyway, I think they send the crum-dee's over to NCL. THEY are in big financial trouble, right? ha!

I miss Folgy too, Cat. I was going to reply earlier. (not now I guess:rolleyes: ) That RC was an odd one, with a very happy outcome, though. :)

"Selling the Sea" sounds interesting. I saw it was coming out. Maybe I will order it this weekend. That and "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" are both truly fascinating reads about the under side of the cruise industry. :D

"Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" is one great read. I read the first "Selling the Sea" that Bob Dickinson and Andy Vladimir wrote some years back but have not picked this one up.

Me, too, Catnip. I gave up on it weeks ago. However, I was interested in the class action lawsuit some idiot filed in Miami a few days ago. What was interesting in that thread is RCCL's fuel surcharge is LOWER than the other cruise lines.

Anyway, I think they send the crum-dee's over to NCL. THEY are in big financial trouble, right? ha!

Peggy, that lawsuit did not surprise me in the least. I was wondering what was taking so long!!!!!:rolleyes::)

I hear ya! :) Well, you just can't reason with some people :rolleyes:........, or even carry on a intelligent conversation without them saying the same old stuff over & over & over again. Oh, well.

It's not like fuel surcharges are not being added everywhere! The simple answer is either pay the surcharge, or don't use their product/service. Easy!

And I miss Folgy, too. He was a great guy and I know he's up in Heaven having a good laugh today!!! You go, Folgy!!

I just finished reading Devils on the Deep Blue Sea and really enjoyed it. It tells the history of how NCL, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean got started and also explains the rivalry between them. It said in the old days, as a Carnival cruise ship sailed nearby the cruise director on RCCL would get on the loudspeaker and announce "There goes the Kmart of the caribbean". It also offers insight into how cruising has changed on RCCL. In the old days, the top exec read every single passenger comment card. Discusses how RCCL for many years was not profitable and how Carnival managed to squeeze every dime of profit that it could. Great read!

...Oh, well. It's not like fuel surcharges are not being added everywhere! The simple answer is either pay the surcharge, or don't use their product/service. Easy!

And I miss Folgy, too. He was a great guy and I know he's up in Heaven having a good laugh today!!! You go, Folgy!!

Careful now Catnip we don't want to be merged. :eek: Not sure who Folgy was but I think I would like him a lot! :)

Back to the topic, I can be as curmudgenly as the best (or worst?) of them. But I still love having fun too which we always do cruising on RCI. I just don't like discoing until dawn any more! Sorry Carnival. :p

I just finished reading Devils on the Deep Blue Sea and really enjoyed it. It tells the history of how NCL, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean got started and also explains the rivalry between them. It said in the old days, as a Carnival cruise ship sailed nearby the cruise director on RCCL would get on the loudspeaker and announce "There goes the Kmart of the caribbean". It also offers insight into how cruising has changed on RCCL. In the old days, the top exec read every single passenger comment card. Discusses how RCCL for many years was not profitable and how Carnival managed to squeeze every dime of profit that it could. Great read!

Interesting Yvie, must pick this book up.

In Rod McLeod's drinking man's guide to cruising Segmentation, all three are "beer and pretzel" lines. Carnival positions as "selling vacations" while RCCL is targeting first time cruisers while maintaining diversity of experience so they come back. NCL is fighting a "me too" image or I guess it's "me three" in some people's minds. I am still reading. :cool:

Archived