Tell me how

Sea and Me

you are going to pack for your cruise?? I know that I overpack BUT how is one suppose to get all that is needed into one suitcase now that the airlines are putting fees on the second bag? Who is in the padded room thinking this stuff up?? I'm sure that all airlines will be following suit, hey its money in the bank for them.

I guess we'll have to start cruising closer to home. Oh can't do that gas is how much a gallon??

it is going to really stink when all airlines adopt this policy-

look at it as a challenge and just do your best to bring just what you will really really need is all i can say about trying to pack in one bag...lol and don't forget you have one carry on bag option too , right? plus there has to be some room left in the dh's bag..................at least i can usually squeeze a couple things in there........( when he isn't looking....lol)

I packed what I thought I needed in extra quanitities easily into 2 suitcases and 2 carryons for me and my 13 y/o daughter. Put each suitcase on the bathroom scale to make sure they didn't go over the limit and found we were way under. No sweat. Have you acutally tried it yet? We did a practice pack a week or so before to make sure it would all fit and be ok. We were fine, I bet you will be too.

I've been wondering the same thing. "How are we going to pack for a longer European cruise?" We may end up having our bags shipped ahead of time, but that's a worry. Will they arrive in time and will the hotel accept them? I would hate for the airlines to lose our bags after we've paid the extra fees for them! Packing bags for trips is really becoming a dilemma!

you are going to pack for your cruise?? I know that I overpack BUT how is one suppose to get all that is needed into one suitcase now that the airlines are putting fees on the second bag? Who is in the padded room thinking this stuff up?? I'm sure that all airlines will be following suit, hey its money in the bank for them.

I guess we'll have to start cruising closer to home. Oh can't do that gas is how much a gallon??

That's the issue. Do you really need all the stuff you pack every time? I pack less and less each time because there is stuff I never used on the previous cruise. Do you ever wear all the clothes you bring. How about all those "must haves" (duct tape, power strip, shoe holder for the bathroom door) that people recommend. Do you really need them. Couldn't you get by without some of that stuff? I don't bring any of that stuff and have never found a need to have it. I have no problem packing in one bag and a carry-on.

I am trying to figure out "how to pack" too. I am trying to do it in a 26'' suitcase. I took my largest last time, 29" which was too big! It is all in how you pack the bag. I have been on the internet researching "how to pack".The rolling of clothes seems to be the way to go. One thing for sure, Leave The Shoes At Home! We as women seem to think outfit is not right without the shoes. I am a shoe lover, over 150 pairs (shhhh, I promised DH I would not buy another pair), However, I only travel with 3 pair. Tennis shoes, dress shoe and comfortable sandles. A pair of jean or kahaki shorts or capris can be recycled. Fresh shirts are a must (for me) becasuse of sweat. Pack light weight sun dresses and shirts. Do not bring all your face (make-up), just what you will need. That bag can weight 1/2 lb. Some people make the mistake of packing a selection of the samething. It is a vacation, not a fashion showl. Free drinks are not given to the ones with all the clothes, shoes, and stuff! Sorry this is a little long. Bottom line, be clean each day....and HAVE FUN!

I think maybe we will buy new luggage and instead of getting more of the 4 piece sets that nest (i.e., each piece is smaller than the next), we will just get one of the biggest size for each of us. Hopefully, 4 big = 6 or 8 mixed sizes. (Besides, I'd love to have those new spinner cases; we play with them every time we go to Costco, LOL!).

But then where to store non-nesting luggage in the stateroom?

As a matter of fact, I've been meaning to ask: We've only cruised Disney before and on their ships, the beds lift up to store the luggage under. It is the same on the RCL Explorer? Thanx for any RCL luggage storage advice you can give! :)

But then where to store non-nesting luggage in the stateroom?

As a matter of fact, I've been meaning to ask: We've only cruised Disney before and on their ships, the beds lift up to store the luggage under. It is the same on the RCL Explorer? Thanx for any RCL luggage storage advice you can give! :)

Yes you can do the same thing.

Enjoy

Denise

Several good websites out there that talk about 1 bag traveling. Google for them.

We also use several packing helpers, like packing cubes and folders from eagle creek and the compression bags. Consider no wrinkle clothes. Use ship laundry if available. Also, the kind of suitcase you have matters. My wife now has a "spinner" suitcase. Easier to handle. I use a big backpack as a carryon too.

We use the ship's laundry and take less. I wear the same formal dress for every formal night, and I try to make sure that I can match the same shoes to my everyday dinner outfits that I can to my formal wear.

I'm from Canada, and there's a great travel shop here called Tilley's. There may be a few in the states as well. They have stuff that travels wrinkle free and packs down to nothing. I take two of their crinkle cotton skirts for every day dinner and 4 of the crinkle cotton tank blouses and just mix and match them every night for dinner. Yeah, it's a little boring, but I'm on vacation, not in a fashion show. :D Two pairs of shorts, three tank tops, a bathing suit and cover up, enough underthings for 4 days. The rest is hairdryer, curling irons and makeup. :D Gym clothes, flip flops for the pool and dinner shoes. On a 7 day cruise - 9 day cruise we'll probably have laundry done twice, on a 12 night, 3 times.

Im going to have to pay the money cause there is no way I can go with just one suitcase...well I could if they didnt have the 50 lbs weight limit! So either way I will have to pay,may as well just pay for the second suitcase.

And do I really need it all...yup...a girl needs her choices!

I travel extensively for my job and I found that I used to bring a ton of extra bags that I didn't need - because of course I had my carry-on / suit bag / suitcase / etc......

Anyway, when we started cruising I originally started to pull out all of my luggage again and had all of our clothes dry cleaned, etc. After our first cruise, I was upset that everything in our hang-up bag was wrinkled and I didn't get my suitcase with "everything"-else that I needed until almost dinner. So......after reading various posts here on CC, I decided to do this.....

My hubby and I went and got a very large sea bag (similar to what the Sailors and Marines use for travel) and we roll EVERYTHING in it. Including DH's tux & suits and all of my formal gowns. We roll them to conserve space in the bag and ensures that my gowns don't get ruined. Then once we get on board, we have the on board dry cleaners clean/press all of our stuff. Viola! No wrinkles and they are cleaned.

I do have a small carry-on that we bring with us for change of clothes and our shoes - as I don't want our shoes in our sea bag.

Just a few ideas!

Happy Sailing!

Lady_G

I am with 'cruisinisforme' :o I change my clothes three times a day and never really know what I might be in the mood for (or what will fit this week).

I have a pair of suitcases that nest, and was worried that the 7 pairs of shoes I need are not going to fit with the smaller bag. So I have played with the idea of bringing two large pieces. I am happy to hear that the beds lift- How much clearance do you get? On our last (and only) cruise, DH's hard sided luggage wouldnt fit anywhere in our tinsy room. I had to set it in the shower while we werent using it.

Anyway, I cant possibly imagine planning EXACTLY what to wear for seven days- I have all my dinner clothes planned, but for daytime I just want to make sure that I am clean and have many choices. I am going to rethink some of the odd things that were suggested (I HAVE been shopping around for the over the door shoe storage thingy-- hmmm)

To get all of my things in a case, I do roll it up- also, like 'lady gamecock' I send my clothes to the concierge when we travel for drycleaning.

You could just wear layers of clothing over each other on the plane and save space that way... LOL!

I read that you should lay out your clothes you want to take, then take half away and pack the rest. I am really glad I brought more than I thought I would need. I wore everything except one tank top! You will sweat walking around on excursions and want to change, may want to change out of fancy clothing after dinner, etc. My thought was, I am paying a lot of money to be on a nice cruise and I don't want to wear (or see people wearing) old t-shirts and sweats! Live it up (pack tight)!

I overpacked horribly on my first cruise. This time around I:

1. Bought a 29" spinner HARDSIDE suitcase from Lands End so I can't overstuff it

2. Started packing several weeks in advance. Every few days I go in and take things out that I don't think I'll need.

3. I can wear the same pair of shoes with every dinner outfit. That helped a TON because I normally pack way too many shoes.

4. I rolled everything, and I'm totally fine with sending things out to be pressed and/or cleaned if needed.

5. Most of my clothes are the kind of material that doesn't wrinkle.

So far, for our 8 day trip I have everything fitting comfortably in one suitcase. My carryon will be almost empty so I can bring home things I buy.

I REFUSE to pay the stupid airline charge. I think it's ridiculous and I won't "give in to the man".

You can use Ziploc bags to help compress out the air and make your clothes "smaller".

I'm not big into clothes and don't usually have trouble packing just one suitcase for myself. A couple pairs of neutral bottoms that I mix and match with different tops. I don't think anyone will care if I wear the same pair of black pants to dinner every night. I sure won't.

I've been wondering the same thing. "How are we going to pack for a longer European cruise?" We may end up having our bags shipped ahead of time, but that's a worry. Will they arrive in time and will the hotel accept them? I would hate for the airlines to lose our bags after we've paid the extra fees for them! Packing bags for trips is really becoming a dilemma!

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the fee for the second suitcase does not apply to international flights.:confused: I'm going on a longer European cruise also and plan on packing two suitcases and a carryon. Thought I didn't have to pay for the second piece.

I think it would be easier to pack for a caribbean cruise then a Can/NE or Alaska cruise. Slacks, sweaters etc. are heavier. I guess I'm really going to have to rethink the way I pack. I like choices too and sometimes when you put one outfit on and it doesn't look "right" you have that other one hanging in the closet. NOW it will be the one outfit regardless how you look or feel in it. It definately is a woman thing:D I was actually thinking of skipping formal night as not to pack the suit for hubby and the "outfit' for me. All of this extra $$$ stinks.

Thanks for all you ideas:)

WE booked our flights in 2007 on United for our May and AUG cruises. The wording is a little confusing, but it sounds like if you booked before Feb and/or trveling before May you are exempt from the new restrictions. Last year we cruised from NYC, no flight involved and it was great not worring about suitcase weight or toilitries. We usually take one each 29in with all our clothes and another small one with heavier things,shoes. toiletries, my DH golf balls, so we are not over the weight limit. I would still take the extra bag and pay $25 instead of $100 for an overweight bag.

I use to way overpack for our trips. It started out with our trips to WDW. The kids were young and you just seem to need more stuff. Plus the Dis boards are as active as here and they have the same "must pack" lists a mile long. The first year I dutifully brought all that junk and it filled one huge suitcase. Guess what, I never even opened the suitcase once. I brought it all for nothing. So I don't bring all the extra must haves, but I continued to way overpack, and over buy clothes.

Last year we booked a last minute cruise at Easter and had to make due with one room for all 4 of us. So I was very carefull and only brought one suitcase (and not our largest, the next size down), and a carryon for each. I knew there wouldn't be room for a lot of clothes or suitcases. It was so liberating. Do yourself a favor, plan to rewear some shorts, pants and capris, bring extra shirts and blouses, only dress shoes, casual sandals and tennis shoes. We eat at one of the specialty rest. each cruise and send it to be pressed if it needs it then I rewear that dress to the dining room. Less to pack, unpack, repack, unpack at home and then wash.

I am a pretty good packer for cruising and other travel. I have no problem wearing an item more than once and never worry if I don’t have the perfect shoes for a particular outfit. Don’t tell the folks on the fashion boards. We only need a med. bag each ( this includes formal wear) and usually one carry on to share.

I most always have a carry on (it only takes one trip with no luggage till the third day) I suspect we will each have a heavy carry on now.

M

Archived