"Noise pollution" on HAL

Vic The Parrot

Rev, Let me know when I can book the interplanetary cruise, "My bags are packed and I am ready to go"!! Would love to hear Ruth sing!!:D

I have a FANTASTIC video clip of Ruth dancing (sitting down) and singing a song up in the Crows Nest. I've thought of posting it, but certain persons would be vicious toward her and others would post salacious speculations and innuendo regarding why I posted the video clip. So ... sorry. :D

Ruth is a GOOD singer.

In December 2007 on the ms Amsterdam, I did not notice any unusual noise pollution.

There were no daily bingo announcements (in fact, 2004 is the last time I remember hearing those).

Some of the bands were low quality, however, including the piano singer and to a degree, the Crow's nest crew. It seems like HAL is finding mostly non-native singers and sometimes cast-offs from other lines. The music in the Explorer's lounge was good and at a reasonable volume; the tables were normally all full in the evening. They did not sing, however.

There were 1pm updates from the bridge (complete with the noon position and weather data).

One this I did miss and would like to hear again are the reports when leaving each port. Granted, I can do without the "Would Mr./Mrs. Smith and Jones report to the Front Office," but I did like the weather and navigation updates. On the most recent trip we left most ports with no update from the bridge. The only time we did have them was if we were headed for especially rough weather.

But, perhaps that is me. I like reminders on a ship that I am on a ship and enjoy hearing the distance to the next port, sea state, etc.

I enjoy NOT hearing suggestions to go buy gold by the inch, watches, spa treatments, etc.

Interesting thread. We must say that we have NEVER found any of the announcements to be intrusive. We understand that HAL has a full ship of cruisers to appease and the FEW announcements they have are not in the least bothersome to us.

We agree with one poster who commented on the noisy passengers!! THAT is noise pollution to us! We also can't believe how many people love to complain on the ships. It seemed that every time we were at the Front Office to exchange traveller's cheques or to ask for some repair in our stateroom, there was somebody complaining about some insignificant item (like there was no "pop machine" on the lido deck) in a loud voice.

We are on VACATION folks. If you want total quietness and solitude, probably the best place to find it is at home.

I suppose, if you really don't like to hear the announcements, you could stay in your suite all day.

On a positive note, if the only thing a person has to complain about are a few announcements, then HAL must be doing one helluva great job!!!

I have a FANTASTIC video clip of Ruth dancing (sitting down) and singing a song up in the Crows Nest. I've thought of posting it, but certain persons would be vicious toward her and others would post salacious speculations and innuendo regarding why I posted the video clip. So ... sorry. :D

It's a -dam shame that we can count on certain people to take something that was fun and playful and turn it into something cruel. But we all know there are constants in life. :rolleyes:

Ruth is a GOOD singer.

Thank you! :D Music is a big part of my soul.

Ruth...are you still looking for your pillow chocolates ?

I brought home a bag of 39 chocolates (not bad for 20 days), and somehow managed to leave two more in a dress pocket. :confused: The dress went through the washer and dryer before I noticed that little messtake! :rolleyes: (Emphasis on "mess").

Anyway, the bag of 39 lasted two nights before they went the way of all things. :D

So, yes, I'm looking for more. Want to contribute to the cause? ;)

For those who complain about announcements on HAL ships......have you been parked next to an NCL or RCCL ship lately? Not only are the announcements constant but on NCL they are repeated in several languages as well. Between the announcements and the ambient music which plays constantly it's an all day assault on the ears. It is most noticeable at the docks in Nassau and St. Maarten where the ships are side by side and close together.

Even the occasional enthusiastic bingo announcement on HAL is pleasant by comparison.

I have to agree! On a recent RCI cruise, they even over-ride the music (poolside or in the piano bar) to make art and bingo anouncements. No chance they were going to miss the chance at generating more revenue.

That is why we like HAL!

I do enjoy the daily announcements by Captain Speaking. He is one of my favorites!;)

Last week on the Zuiderdam I wasin the spa when they made an announcement that there would be a fire drill for crew. So in the middle of a relaxing massage I had to listen to the 7 short and 1 long blasts of the whistle. Surely they don't have to do that in the spa of all places if it is a crew only drill (a simulated fire in the officers' mess).

Last week on the Zuiderdam I wasin the spa when they made an announcement that there would be a fire drill for crew. So in the middle of a relaxing massage I had to listen to the 7 short and 1 long blasts of the whistle. Surely they don't have to do that in the spa of all places if it is a crew only drill (a simulated fire in the officers' mess).

You are kidding I hope! I think the crews training for our safety might we worth the high price of having to listen to 7 short and 1 long blast of the whistle!

You are kidding I hope! I think the crews training for our safety might we worth the high price of having to listen to 7 short and 1 long blast of the whistle!

However, there ought to be a way to turn the PA off in certain areas when it isn't necessary they be broadcast there.

On my recent Rotterdam cruise there was one announcement broadcast into the Wajang Theatre during Mass :eek: . The nature of the announcement was such that it wasn't necessary in that room.

Reconsider and post it, please, if Ruth says it's OK. If any of those mean posts arrive, we can have them deleted.:)

Hmmm.

Ruth ... would you like me to prep it and send just you a link to view it. Then, you/we can decide if you/we want it posted?

Tell me if you want me to do that.

I am serious. It was disruptive while having a relaxing massage and the announcments were irrelevant to the spa and spa staff. It would have been OK if they announced that there would be signals be for a staff drill and then not pipe the actual whistles in to the spa. The massage therapist was annoyed by it too. He said that other ships he had been on they would not pipe those kinds of annoucements in the spa.

We actualy laughed about it, but the mood was broken.

And I do appreciate the crew training for our safety.

I doubt there is, nor should there be, a way to squelch ship's emergency announcements anywhere on the ship. Think what a disaster it could be if someone tripped a switch accidentally and no one in the spa therapy rooms heard a real fire emergency alert. Better to be annoyed for a few seconds than to be trapped in a fire situation.

I doubt there is, nor should there be, a way to squelch ship's emergency announcements anywhere on the ship.

It wasn't an emergancy but a drill and the whistle came through the same intercom where the announcemants were made. They already have a way to make announcements either throughout the ship (including cabins) or only in the public areas.

Think what a disaster it could be if someone tripped a switch accidentally and no one in the spa therapy rooms heard a real fire emergency alert. Better to be annoyed for a few seconds than to be trapped in a fire situation.

I am sure there switches would be well procected and not be prone to a bump e.g. by someone when the ship rolls.

Hmmm.

Ruth ... would you like me to prep it and send just you a link to view it. Then, you/we can decide if you/we want it posted?

Tell me if you want me to do that.

Sure! I'm game for that. ;)

Archived