Breakfast - Lunch in Dining Rooms

RetdCruizers

My husband and I have a quick question regarding "dress" in the dining rooms during breakfast and lunch. I apologize in advance if this has a been covered exhaustively, but I've not been able to find responses about proper dress "except" during dinner (formal verus smart casual). ;) I would think that the proper attire would lean toward a more casual dress during the first two meals of the day, but wanted to get opinions. I'm not talking about bathing suits or shorts :eek: ...but, what do cruisers wear in the dining rooms during breakfast and lunch? Thanks for your feedback !!

Your feedback was very much appreciated...we were just not certain if we had to "dress" for breakfast and lunch....it seems logical that you should be able to wear whatever you were planning to wear on the shore-excursions for that day. What a relief...not sure that I could get my DH to "spiff-up" his attire early in the AM.

The early morning diners will appreciate the fact that we will not be sporting Speed-O's while enjoying our cheese omlettes. Thanks again.

:cool: :)

Your feedback was very much appreciated...we were just not certain if we had to "dress" for breakfast and lunch....it seems logical that you should be able to wear whatever you were planning to wear on the shore-excursions for that day. What a relief...not sure that I could get my DH to "spiff-up" his attire early in the AM.

The early morning diners will appreciate the fact that we will not be sporting Speed-O's while enjoying our cheese omlettes. Thanks again.

:cool: :)

There has been an occasion where I have seen people sent away with muscle shirts on, but I have seen way more there most of the time. :)

I admit to wearing sweatpants, fuzzy jacket and hat to breakfast the morning we cruised through Glacier Bay last summer... we'd been up and roaming the ship since about 4 AM and needed the break before going back out for more. Scruffiest and best breakfast I ever had! :D

Yes, the dining rooms are very casual for breakfast and lunch. As long as you are covered and not wearing a swim suit, they will let you in. We have always found there to be plenty of tables available too.

I do not know why more people do not take advantage of the breakfast and lunch in the dining room! It is so much nicer than the buffet. We found the breakfast to have some interesting fruit items and many selections. The lunch is also good. It is so much more restful to eat in the dining room instead of fighting for a table in the horizon.

omg...speedo's should be outlawed unless you are a athlete in a sporting event....:eek: and the same thing goes for the ladies who wear thong bikini's etc...or the ones wearing less than they need for their particular size..........that being said....casual daytime resort wear...shorts tshirts...capris..sun dresses...and footwear will be fine...we enjoy the breakfast..and if we are onboard..the lunch in the dining room...way less crowded, and great service and food...Have a wonderful vacatiion...lpt:cool:

Actually, shorts and t-shirts (outerwear, not underwear t's) are fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room, and you'll find that most people are similarly dressed on warm weather cruises.

on a cruise in Nov and Dec, the daily "Patter" stated that shorts were not permitted in the dining room for any meals.

on a cruise in Nov and Dec, the daily "Patter" stated that shorts were not permitted in the dining room for any meals.

Wow, what Princess ship was this?:confused:

I have always seen shorts in the dining room and worn them myself during breakfast and lunch.

Mike:)

Wow, what Princess ship was this?:confused:

I have always seen shorts in the dining room and worn them myself during breakfast and lunch.

It was the Royal, and I remember because I had not read that before, and I showed up at the CC luncheon in the dining room wearing shorts, and a number of CC members suggested I might want to change because of the "new rules". I changed, but had been used to wearing shorts in the dining room on many previous cruises.

I also noted it in subsequent patters on the cruise.

In our Patter on the Golden in January, it said that shorts were not permitted in the dining rooms. It did not say "at dinner" or "for any meals". I phoned the Maitre De and asked him, since this has been brought up on these boards before. He said that shorts were not allowed in the dining room AT DINNER but were welcome at all other meals. Even saying that, we saw shorts in the dining room at dinner on a couple of occasions.

To each his own I suppose... It depends on what image you want to project to others, and also whether you're warm-blooded or cold-blooded. Since the dining rooms are usually very chilly, I probably wouldn't wear shorts, but that's just me. The Horizon Court, with all its glass surfaces, is quite warm on the other hand, but we don't like the noise level and having to fight for a table. Also, you get some interesting things in the dining room that you can't get in the HC, I remember some fabulous, exotic frozen yogurts at lunch-time. And meeting some interesting people who also preferred the mellower atmosphere in the dining room.

In our Patter on the Golden in January, it said that shorts were not permitted in the dining rooms. It did not say "at dinner" or "for any meals". I phoned the Maitre De and asked him, since this has been brought up on these boards before. He said that shorts were not allowed in the dining room AT DINNER but were welcome at all other meals. Even saying that, we saw shorts in the dining room at dinner on a couple of occasions.

From our patters in February on The Golden it says:

DRESS CODES

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested.

Guidelines for wear from 5:30 pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: a dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies

Smart Casual: A open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for ladies. Shorts and T-Shirts are not permitted in the dining rooms.

So shorts were only taboo in the evenings when we were on The Golden.

omg...speedo's should be outlawed unless you are a athlete in a sporting event....:eek: and the same thing goes for the ladies who wear thong bikini's etc...or the ones wearing less than they need for their particular size..........that being said....casual daytime resort wear...shorts tshirts...capris..sun dresses...and footwear will be fine...we enjoy the breakfast..and if we are onboard..the lunch in the dining room...way less crowded, and great service and food...Have a wonderful vacatiion...lpt:cool:

I was just joking about the Speedo's....we are long past those days and I agree, that's not something that most of us should be wearing, much less in the dining rooms. It's it strange how many different "takes" there are on the same subject...I do wish they would enforce the after 5:30 dress codes as we witnessed a gentleman wearing a sweat suit in the dining room, on formal night. Couldn't believe it. :confused:

Archived