15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Discovery Channel has a "barge load" of Egypt shows on tonight. :)

Gotta go set the machine to record some of them. Even though I know it's HOT in Egypt right now, I'd still love to be there...

Most of these shows can be purchased. We rented some through Netflix before our trip.

Hope they're paying for your forced overnight.

Just heard back today from the trip leader - DL won't pay for the forced overnight. DL thinks we are supposed to be glad that they gave us the next day rather than the day before... But, she negotiated a good price with the hotel on her own for an extra day. AND, the airfare taxes due this time are only $98 rather than the $498 it was last year. So, I only owe an extra $188 to cover hotel, transport, and taxes.

• 3 weeks later...

The Panama cruise will be on Celebrity -- the Infinity to be exact. I really enjoy Holland America and had looked at them as well, and can recommend them.

I got a great deal on Infinity AND it leaves from here in Seattle, making it my first "drive to, not fly to" cruise. A week from today -- woo hoo! :D

But I still dream of Egypt... wandering the temples and cruising the Nile in my dreams...:)

• 1 month later...

It was wonderful being pampered and eating everything in sight without worry, LOL. I had a great time, and came home much more relaxed than after my trip to Egypt, but I'm jealous of the folks that are vsiting Egypt now or recently.

I see slidergirl has returned with descriptions of some of her adventures.

And I was sorry to read the review of someones ship's tour from Alexandria that was so disappointing. Makes me very glad I had two weeks to see as much as I did.

Very sad to hear of the train crash that took so many lives this week. Reminds me that we need to live each day fully, and sample as much of life as we can! :D

Edited by seafun

Seafun, your Egyptian journal was awesome. Will share it with a friend. We plan to go in 2011. Will start my research after we get back from our Panama Canal cruise (still have to finish reading Path Between the Seas).

Anyway, thanks very much for all the time and effort you put into it. Unfortunately, your photo site seems to have killed the labels to your pictures.

I'm always glad to hear that other folks have enjoyed my Egypt journal.

And happycruiser, I think you just need to scroll further down the page to see the caption for each photo. I notice that if you view it as a slide show, you can't see the captions (comments), but if you advance it manually you can see the caption. Sorry about that -- I realize that makes it rather inconvenient. (but it was free... :o )

Now, back to work on my Panama cruise journal. I might end up posting it after all. I'll let you know in a couple days.

Edited by seafun

And happycruiser, I think you just need to scroll further down the page to see the caption for each photo. I notice that if you view it as a slide show, you can't see the captions (comments), but if you advance it manually you can see the caption. Sorry about that -- I realize that makes it rather inconvenient. (but it was free... :o )

Now, back to work on my Panama cruise journal. I might end up posting it after all. I'll let you know in a couple days.

Thank you for that wonderful report on Cairo. I just made it available to those in my group going November 21, 2010. It will be invaluable.

Now I'll look forward to your Panama Canal report, since that's next on my bucket list.:)

Kathy

OK, that explains it, I was viewing it as a slideshow. And you're right--the price is right! I use Picasa to put my travel photos up--it's also free and the captions show up in the slideshow. Now I just have to learn how to restrain myself from posting too many photos!;)

Will be interesting to hear what you thought of Panama Canal cruise, since that's what up next for me.

Yep, I'm back. I'm dealing with a simultaneous sale and purchase of houses right now, so I haven't had the time to put together my trip notes. But, I will when all this hoopla is calmed down.

I'll just say it was a trip of a lifetime and I'm afraid I'm spoiled for all future trips (thanks to A&K) :cool: From what I saw, it looks like basically everyone follows the same tourist track in Egypt. It's your Egyptologist, the timing of your visits to the sites, your transport, the size of your group, and your amenities that make the difference. My trip offered no options - I don't think any of us would have taken any. We were totally sated at the end of each day.

I'm glad you found my adventures of interest! Now that it's done, I feel like a weight (say, about the size of a pyramid stone?) has been removed from me! :D

And as far as the galabaya -- I haven't washed it ("But 100% Egyptian cotton -- No shrink!!"). It has some bronze metallic threads in the embroidery around the neck and cuffs, so I had planned on dry cleaning it. But I'm sure if you were to wash it separately, and hang it to dry it would be just fine. But I hate ironing, hence the dry cleaning. I carried a travel steamer with me, and steamed the heck out of it before wearing, removing the wrinkles from it being folded when I bought it.

I am planning a trip to egypt for my mom's 60th b'day and happened to read your review . Thank you for describing your trip in such a wonderful way.

I understand your situation with house buying/selling... I'm in the middle of waiting for the house I'm buying to close, and moving out of the house I've been in for 31 years!

As a matter of fact, I'm packing and sorting tonight, after an early morning with the home inspection, then a full day of work, and now several fun-filled hours of packing! :eek:

Needless to say, my review of my Panama trip is on the VERY back burner, lol. :rolleyes:

Sorry happycruiser... I have the best of intentions, but no time. Heck, I haven't even taken the time to download the memory cards from the trip to the computer, much less edit or post them to a web share site. :o

Okay, my break is over, back to the packing! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm getting settled into my new house, (I just put the Egyptian souvenirs on shelves of honor), Christmas is behind us, and guess what??

Yup, the Travel Bug has bit me again! :eek:

I knew it wouldn't leave me alone for long, LOL.

Anyway, Happy Travels to you all in the New Year! :)

I'm getting settled into my new house, (I just put the Egyptian souvenirs on shelves of honor), Christmas is behind us, and guess what??

Yup, the Travel Bug has bit me again! :eek:

I knew it wouldn't leave me alone for long, LOL.

Anyway, Happy Travels to you all in the New Year! :)

Congrats on your move!!

Where are you headed to next?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Seafun, I talked with you over 1 yr ago after i read your trip report on here and was so inspired by your report that i booked with gate1 for there March 16 20010 8 day Egypt. I had asked you about books and a few other things to help me get ready for my trip, well I'm back now and I just wanted to tell you THANKS oh my gosh it was the most amazing trip I have ever been on, it was so awesome. I meet some really great people in my Gate1 group. we all got alone just like old friends, what a great group we had.I cant wait to go back for a longer trip. Anyway I just wanted to let you know how much your trip report inspired me to go and thanks for your pre trip help.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip so much, and I'm glad if my review helped. I feel studying the guidebooks is helpful -- you can learn a lot beforehand. You appreciate your trip even more once you're there --with mouth hanging open in wonder, lol. :eek:

It's funny -- I just got a message from Gate One in today's email for a 12 day trip, similar to the one I took... Here's the link if anyones's interested:

http://www.gate1travel.com/thedeal/100503/egypt.aspx?utm_source=thedeal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=100503&utm_campaign=egypt&advid=c3ea8e43-b910-4b93-bb42-21f36a943dd2

Really nice price, at $1399 (starting point mind you...) but the middle of July and August???? .... OUCH! WAY too hot!

Still, my "inner Egyptian" is tantalized... :D

Wow, that posting brings back memories of my trip as well!

OUr life has changed the last few months...We purchased a large and fancy RV and are going to spend some time traveling in the US. Hubby and I retire in 10 years and our plan the is to sell the house and travel fulltime. Whew!

Seafun

I read your review of Egypt and booked my trip through Gate 1 for March 28, 2010 10 day tour.

It was awesome! I had been trying to get to Egypt for 3 years and something always cancelled the trip. We had a great guide, a great group of fun people and good weather. Thank you for your review. I hope to get mine posted when life slows down a little.

Stacy

It brings back fond memories for all of us. Egypt was a wonderful adventure. I will cherish the memories forever. Particularly since there is no way my wife will ever go back. :D

Hi Mike ...I still have another 6 months to wait for my visit to Egypt...This is what comes from booking a cruise so far ahead...... :(.....

Debbie

Hi Mike ...I still have another 6 months to wait for my visit to Egypt...This is what comes from booking a cruise so far ahead...... :(.....

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Nothing wrong with booking far ahead. It eventually gets here and it is that much better when it does. You are really going to enjoy this trip.