Children's behavior: Has anyone ever.....

klfhngr

My 14 and 17 year old cousins got into a very serious discussion with pool security (on a Princess spring break cruise) about what constitutes a dive vs. a belly flop. We ended up befriending the security guy (a high school teacher helping out with security for the spring break week) and having a good laugh over it.

The boys stopped belly flopping and diving and ended up in the hot tub with a few other teens. The 17 year old (now 18) ended up dating a girl from that trip, and they are still together a year later!

Well....... you know.....

Not like that didn't turn out pretty bad for someone else in recent past. Hope all goes well for you. Just be sure to set down the law before you leave home and make sure the kid's family knows the expectations for good behavior and that bad behavior will result in his being shipped home COD.

Straight talking before you go is required.

It goes like this - "I have gone to the trouble of finding out which flight I will put you on, from each port, if you misbehave seriously on board"- "this is the flight out of ......... fill in the blanks........ tell your parents I will phone them to come and meet you if there is any problem". Ask him for parents' Credit Card number so that they can be the ones actually paying for the ticket

If he finds this too restrictive or doesn't willingly agree- Hasta Luego! :D

I couldn't agree with the others more . . . manage everyones expectations before you leave and be clear about the consequences should those expectations not be met and last but not least . . . follow through!

With all that done I'm sure everyone, including those around you will have a terrific time!

Not like that didn't turn out pretty bad for someone else in recent past. Hope all goes well for you. Just be sure to set down the law before you leave home and make sure the kid's family knows the expectations for good behavior and that bad behavior will result in his being shipped home COD.

Honestly, they're good kids... Have never ever had a problem with them.. as a matter of fact, they might keep me out of trouble!

OK I have to ask, how old are these friends kids? Enquiring minds wanna know and I couldn't find it when I searched your history..lol. ;)

2 boys, 19 and 18 and a 15 year old girl! The boys are responsible and mature for their ages.. Same for the girl...

Good kids do stupid things. All the time.

The words of wisdom. ;) You are so right Merion_Mom

The one sentence I never ever used when speaking of my 4 children.;)

"Oh, my kids would never do that." :rolleyes:

I cringe when I hear parents say those words. :o

The words of wisdom. ;) You are so right Merion_Mom

The one sentence I never ever used when speaking of my 4 children.;)

"Oh, my kids would never do that." :rolleyes:

I cringe when I hear parents say those words. :o

And as a high school teacher, I hear it all the time. Oh, the things I could tell these parents that would curl their hair! :eek:

2 boys, 19 and 18 and a 15 year old girl! The boys are responsible and mature for their ages.. Same for the girl...

Responsible and mature are good qualities but we've all seen adults that look responsible and mature turn into foolish people on ships.

Make sure the kids understand they will be held accountable for their actions. Maybe they will take a moment to think before attempting something you might not approve of.

Make sure the kids understand they will be held accountable for their actions. Maybe they will take a moment to think before attempting something you might not approve of.

One thing I would add, besides making sure the kids know the ground rules, is to make sure the PARENTS of the kid you take know the ground rules. I am amazed that some parents would not take responsibility for their kids misbehavior but I know it happens. Really like the idea of researching flights home from each port and also getting a credit card # from the other parents so everyone knows what is expected and the consequences.

I have cruised with three teenagers once and two twice (my DS and his cousin) and they were nothing but a pleasure to cruise with. Before we left for the first cruise with DS and his cousin (both 16 then) I told what the ship does if people's behavior is a problem and I said that there better not be ONE communication to me from ship security. They are good boys and they know that I mean business and they were no problem. I would take them anywhere.

Barb

Archived