Rome

julieh

We are sailing on the Grand leaving Venice and finishing in Rome. We are now thinking of staying in Rome for a couple of nights to finish off our holiday. Has anyone done the Princess organised stay or have you done your own. The Princess hotel (Crowne Plaza) appears to be quite a way from the center. Any information would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Julie

We stayed at the Capo D'Africa which is three very short blocks from the Colliseum and had the best coffee we've ever had!! We found it on Expedia. The price is good...for Rome. Be prepared for sticker shock.

I would also suggest that you check the Rome thread for more info on hotels. Lots of suggestions there.

tripadvisor.com is my source for hotel information. There are many good locations throughout Rome and easy transportation.

I too use tripadvisor.com but I do take the ratings with a grain of salt. I think the most expensive hotels get the top ratings (particularly in large cities) so you need to work your way through the hotel listings to find what suits you. Another good site (and one which is much easier to navigate) is http://www.venere.com. It is a hotel booking site but has a great deal of information on the hotels as well as links to the hotel websites. As with all booking sites, read all of their policies before you make a booking.

Rome is one of our favorite cities and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Try Hotel Genio near Piazza Navona, very good location, just request room not facing street. There are so many good hotels in excellent locations. Location is the most important for Rome. You want to be able to come back and rest if need be.

A couple of years ago we stayed in Rome after a cruise at the Princess hotel, whether it was the Crowne I do not remember but, it was some ways out of the city center. They ran a free shuttle to the center of town and then we would pick it up in the late afternoon for the ride back. Rome was easy to walk around in and see the major sites. When we got to the hotel we were offered a tour of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and other areas. A guide was provided to talk about what we were seeing. The Coliseum was not busy and we got right in, I had read there can be long waits. Wonderful city to just walk around in, although the price of a cup of "American" coffee was about $5 US. We finally figured that McDonalds had the cheapest coffee. Another thing was that we stopped at a little bakery for a pastry. They would not tell us the price of what things were. We ordered something with our coffee, they brought it, then told us the price. Seemed to be much higher than other places we had been to but we sat at an outside little table and enjoyed our short break in walking. We also found their can be a difference in price depending on if you eat inside the shop or if you eat outside the shop.

We are sailing on the Grand leaving Venice and finishing in Rome. We are now thinking of staying in Rome for a couple of nights to finish off our holiday. Has anyone done the Princess organised stay or have you done your own. The Princess hotel (Crowne Plaza) appears to be quite a way from the center. Any information would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Julie

Hi Julie,

Crowne Plaza is a ways out from the center, but very nice. I would book something on your own. We are sailing the Grand in October and they wanted $1,100 USD for the 3 of us!:eek:

Do you have reward points? Think about trying a B & B? Just some alternatives to think about.

Enjoy your trip!

Chesie

For a minimum stay of 3 days, you can rent an apartment right in Centro Storico. Being in the heart of the Eternal City at night is far more fun ... and quite a thrill to see the Colloseum and St Peter's dome lit up. As for eating/costs - try to find a little tratorria that locals patron. If you stand at the bar, food is always cheaper than at a table. If you stumble across a mercato (grocery), pick up some fresh fruit or cheeses; much, much better than what we get here - fresher and grown in volcanic soil in the Campania region. Another fun tip - carry a water bottle. You can fill it right from the fountains; the water is clear and perfect (again, that volcanic soil).

A lifetime isn't long enough to visit Roma!! Enjoy!

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza - St. Peters Hotel and we did not care for the hotel. It's too far away...resulting in not having many restaurant choices. The hotel restaurant is limited and very pricey. Plus the hotel caters to more of a business crowd. I would not stay there again.

Most of the hotels in central Rome are very pricey...plus, when you book on your own...you'll be reserving in Euros. If you use your credit card, the room rate will be subject to the exchange rate on the day you check out.

Another suggestion, is the Hilton at FCO airport...they offer a free shuttle to central Rome and it operates every 2 hours. Plus, you can walk to the hotel from the airport via a sky bridge. I learned of this through other passengers that were sailing on The Star (Egypt-Aegean).

I'm returning to Rome in July to sail on The Royal and I booked myself into the Hilton at the airport this time.

Enjoy your stay in the Enternal City and your cruise.

Lyndonn

SoCal

Princess: Elite Member

I'm on the Grand in October with 3 days pre-cruise in Rome. My husband and I spent a month in Italy in '98 just as they were joining the European Union. Thank goodness we went when we did, we wouldn't be able to afford it now. I don't think we paid over $50 for any hotel room in the whole month of travel.

I was shocked to start looking at 3 star hotels and their prices of $250 - $350 and up. I quickly started reassessing the star system. I was seriously considering cancelling the cruise, then another poster on these boards posted a link for more modest accommodation.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

Now don't let the title scare you away. I'm not Catholic, but that isn't a criteria to stay here. They are run by nuns, and there are only a few that have websites, rather than just email, but I selected the Domus Aurelia (near the Vatican) for only $113 per night for a twin bedroom. It's only 2 star, but it looks clean and the reviews aren't bad. But I wanted to be near the Vatican, so it was great for me.

I only wish they had some places in Venice! The accommodation there is even more expensive.

Book on your own for a much better price!

We leave in 9 days for the Grand Transatlantic ending in Rome and we are staying 4 nights in Rome. We used the Rick Steve's Italy 2008 book for suggestions for hotels. Rick rates them by cost $, $$, $$$. We chose a $ and it is 120 Euros per night - I don't even know the current rate of exchange since it keeps changing, but it's going to be about $200/night. We figure one $ is one *, so are not expecting a lot - just comfort and safety. They say they have A/C, which we will not need in early May; private bath, hair dryer, "safety box" ( I assume a safe); a very extensive continental breakfast, and are glad to help with tour and transportation arrangements while we are there. It is called Hotel Italia and is only a few blocks from the Termini station.

There is loads of info on the Eastern & Western Mediterranean board, you might want to check there. http://messages.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=234

I stayed in Rome three times in the past 6 months....three different hotels...

* Hotel Paba, cheap and basic. Very close to Forum. Not a super great area for night-time strolling. Not dangerous, just not much around.

* Albergo del Senato - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Excellent location overlooks the Pantheon, right on the piazza, lots of people strolling around in the evening. Not cheap, but a GREAT way to end a GREAT cruise. We wanted to come home very, very happy and we did.

* Hotel Teatropace - super location one block behind Piazza Navona. Great area for daytime and night-time strolling. Lots and lots of restaurants nearby.

You can read my review of each on TripAdvisor:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d191099-r11297884-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d504558-r14222718-Hotel_Teatropace-Rome_Lazio.html

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d524376-r11197538-Hotel_Paba-Rome_Lazio.html

We stayed there post cruise in 2004. We are going back to Rome this summer and are staying there again. It is centrally located, they have a decent breakfast buffet, and it is very clean. They will recommend places for you to eat, and there is a couple of little restaurants right around them. The hotel is on the 2nd floor and it is not well labelled.....we kinda wondered where we were going, but I highly recommend it.

I'm on the Grand in October with 3 days pre-cruise in Rome. My husband and I spent a month in Italy in '98 just as they were joining the European Union. Thank goodness we went when we did, we wouldn't be able to afford it now. I don't think we paid over $50 for any hotel room in the whole month of travel.

I was shocked to start looking at 3 star hotels and their prices of $250 - $350 and up. I quickly started reassessing the star system. I was seriously considering cancelling the cruise, then another poster on these boards posted a link for more modest accommodation.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

Now don't let the title scare you away. I'm not Catholic, but that isn't a criteria to stay here. They are run by nuns, and there are only a few that have websites, rather than just email, but I selected the Domus Aurelia (near the Vatican) for only $113 per night for a twin bedroom. It's only 2 star, but it looks clean and the reviews aren't bad. But I wanted to be near the Vatican, so it was great for me.

I only wish they had some places in Venice! The accommodation there is even more expensive.

We are getting off the Grand on the day your boarding. Italy,Greece,Turkey and Egypt.

Our first Princess cruise. Hope we enjoy it!

Chesie

We stayed there post cruise in 2004. We are going back to Rome this summer and are staying there again. It is centrally located, they have a decent breakfast buffet, and it is very clean. They will recommend places for you to eat, and there is a couple of little restaurants right around them. The hotel is on the 2nd floor and it is not well labelled.....we kinda wondered where we were going, but I highly recommend it.

We are looking forward to it. Glad you mentioned it was not easy to find, now we'll be better prepared.:)

1) Check Rick Steves book "Rome". Many libraries have it. He also has a website with a great travel forum: www.ricksteves.com.

2) All over Italy, and in particular, Rome, have many convents where it is safe, clean, and cheap to stay. Most are in central Rome (where all the things you want to see are), but some are further out. Check to be sure. You don't have to be Catholic and they won't try to make you one either. They run these like B&B's to make money to keep their convents open.

Ciao!

Julie, I have a friend who still has family in Italy, she recommended we stay in Trastevere, it's not as touristy as other areas of Rome. We will be arriving in late September and staying in Rome for 5 nights before heading to Venice and our TA cruise. I couldn't find any place for under $250.00 that had any decent ratings on tripadvisor. I'm not a hotel snob, but when posters say "I'd never send mywife there", "The sheets and towels were dirty and the bathroom disgusting" or "Stay at your own risk", I get nervous. Since you're only staying a few days this may not be an option for you, but we will be staying at Anne's Place in Pelestrina, about 30 minutes outside of Rome. Out of 168 postings on tripadvisor (when we booked last month), there was not one negative post. Staying in this little town should give us a chance to see the real Italy, and not just crowds of tourists. Anne and David, her husband, operate a B&B in the country and provide transportation to the train station at your request. It's about a 25 to 30 minute ride to Rome's Termini station, upon your return they pick you up. Check it out on the internet, she has a great web sight explaining everything, and the best part is, even at high tourist time it's only 75 euros a night. This allowed us to be able to stay 5 nights instead of the two I orignally felt we could afford.

I did check out the Rick Steves' hotels in Rome, because we are staying in one of his recommened ones in Venice. I mostly checked the Trastevere area and he had very few hotels listed there and like most hotels in Rome they weren't cheap.

sharonmae

A note about the convent hotels - I read about these in the Rick Steve's book also, with an added note that some have curfews of 11 PM. While this would probably not pose a problem for us if we were staying there, it is a good thing to be aware of before booking.

A note about the convent hotels - I read about these in the Rick Steve's book also, with an added note that some have curfews of 11 PM. While this would probably not pose a problem for us if we were staying there, it is a good thing to be aware of before booking.

Yes, you're right. Most have curfews (a few don't) and occasionally some will lock up at a certain time, but give their boarders a key to get in. Also, curfews are different. I've seen them as early as 10 pm. and as late as 1 am. - and some have none. There are websites that list convent hotels and also books other than Rick Steves (he only lists a few). There's a really great one right in Campo Dei Fiori, but it's pretty expensive.

Just one more idea for staying in Rome. We always stay at the Smeraldo, a tiny little place just two short blocks from the Campo Di Fiori which is one of Rome's hot spots and within walking distance of EVERYTHING! And I am a grandmother! Rooms are small but the place is authentic, charming and air-conditioned! Lily

You're right. The Domus Aurelia does say there is a curfew of 11:00 pm, but after all day sightseeing, I can't imagine wanting to be out that late anyway. They also mentioned a code to access the door, so I'm assuming that would be for after 11:00.

As a frequent visitor to Italy and Rome I highly suggest that you do not stay outside of the city and the closer to the central sites the better. You will want to be able to come back to your room and rest or drop stuff off. It is not worth saving a few dollars to do that. There are plenty of less expensive hotels. You just have to look a little . Don't depend on your TA or the cruise line. We will be there in 2 weeks and found a great apartment...2 bedrooms and 2 baths for 170 euros a night. We are only staying for 2 nights, but it is a great deal. It is in a great location, near campo di fiore. Go to sleepintaly.com. They have apartments and B&b's and they are rated deluxe, premium and standard. Ours is a deluxe at that price. It is on the 4th floor, has a newly installed lift and a small balcony.

We stayed at Domus Aurelia on a driving trip through Italy back in 1995. The price at that time was around $45. Nice big room, little balconey, large bathroom with tub. It had a gated parking lot, a must in Italy, and we used public busses to get around. I don't recall the curfew, maybe they gave us a key, but we probably didn't stay out all that late anyway. I do remember that they were going to be closed in August.

It was easy walking distance to the Vatican and right on the bus route to go downtown.

Archived