help ASAP please! Re Cape Liberty Bayonne, NJ

Hi,

I've read over and over again here that there is a shuttle bus from the place where you check in at Cape Liberty (Bayonne) NJ TO THE SHIP. I've called Royal Caribbean twice so far today and they are swearing up and down that there is NOT a shuttle bus to the ship. They keep telling me there is only a shuttle from the parking to the place where you check in.

So...I need to know for sure if I'm crazy or what! IS there a shuttle from the place where you check in to where you actually board the ship???:confused:

I'm on hold with Royal Caribbean now, and they think I'm crazy! :eek: :eek:

thanks

Thanks for the replies. If there is a shuttle, it actually IS a worry, unless it's wheelchair accessible. That's why I was calling Royal Caribbean in the first place, to find out if the shuttle will have a wheelchair lift!

I'm STILL on hold! LOL

We were on the Explorer out of Bayonne in January. There is definitely a shuttle after check in. We found it very annoying because you are rushed and must step up a high step to get into the shuttle. It is difficult if you are carrying anything. We felt like cattle being herded! For this reason, we will not leave from Bayonne again. It was not the best way to start a vacation. Frankly, it was a nightmare!

The RC Agent finally came back and said there is a shuttle to the ship. She said they would have a special shuttle for wheelchair users.

Then transferred me to the "Special Needs" department. At first Special Needs said there isn't a shuttle.

Then they said there IS a shuttle but we have to pay extra for an accessible one.

Then they corrected themselves and said that we don't have to pay anything, but they're not SURE the shuttle is accessible.

Latest is that they took my contact info and will contact the SHIP to find out the answer. I told them maybe they should contact the PIER, but the agent insisted they needed to contact the SHIP. :rolleyes:

I imagine we're not the first people with a wheelchair and large equipment ever to board the Explorer in Bayonne, but from talking to Royal Caribbean, it sure seems that we're an oddity! :mad: My concern is that they are prepared for us to board *with our equipment*.

Unless they moved the area where the ship docks or moved the terminal closer to the ship, there is definitely a shuttle bus after check in to get to the ship. The buses are supplied from Rutgers University and the ride is only about a minute or two. I didn't feel like I was cattle being herded, I found a seat with no problem and the whole process is worth it to take a cruise. After check in you are given a number and when your number is called, you board the bus. The excitement & anticipation of cruising is worth the bus ride. I think its a very easy process.

We were on the Explorer in December and there were a number of passengers who were in wheelchairs. I'm guessing the bus was accessible and no one ever mentioned an extra fee. I'm sure if that if there were an extra fee we would have had plenty of negative posts regarding it! :D

Another case of clueless customer service reps. We've cruised four times from Cape Liberty - once with DH in a wheelchair. There definitely IS a shuttle from the terminal to the ship (and back again). The shuttle definitely IS wheelchair accessible with a lift - there is no special shuttle for this - and there definitely IS NO extra charge for this.

We didn't have any problem with the shuttle on any of our trips, including the one with the wheelchair. I can see where there would be a problem if you insisted on carrying on all of your luggage as there is no room for luggage. Since we can easily drive to this port, we find it much more convenient than having to fly somewhere to sail.

Unless they moved the area where the ship docks or moved the terminal closer to the ship, there is definitely a shuttle bus after check in to get to the ship. The buses are supplied from Rutgers University and the ride is only about a minute or two. I didn't feel like I was cattle being herded, I found a seat with no problem and the whole process is worth it to take a cruise. After check in you are given a number and when your number is called, you board the bus. The excitement & anticipation of cruising is worth the bus ride. I think its a very easy process.

We were on the Explorer in December and there were a number of passengers who were in wheelchairs. I'm guessing the bus was accessible and no one ever mentioned an extra fee. I'm sure if that if there were an extra fee we would have had plenty of negative posts regarding it! :D

That tears it.

I am quitting teaching and going to work for Royal Caribbean in TRAINING THE MORONS who answer the phones.

I'll shape 'em up in a matter of weeks. Leave it to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The terminal building, where you check in, is some distance down a dirty, quasi-dangerous (think: industrial debris) working marine pier from where the ship is actually docked.

The parking lot is on the "ship" side of the terminal building. It was initially on the other side, but that caused parking nightmares.

You can park your car and take a shuttle bus back to the terminal building (I say "back" because you have to drive past it to get to the lot) or you can walk. If you have dropped your bags off at the unloading zone, it is a very easy walk back.

After you check in, you are given a card with a number on it and asked to take a seat. They give out as many cards as there are seats (fewer, really) on the SHUTTLE BUS TO THE SHIP.

When they call your number, you go to the door (on the back of the building, facing the pier, as opposed to the door where you entered the terminal, which faces the driveway), hand the person your card who verifies that it is the number called, and you walk out and get on (as stated above) a Rutgers-marked bus. You sit with your carryon either on your lap or at your feet, or selfishly, on the seat next to you.

Yes, they are accessible. I have watched wheelchair passengers being hydraulically lifted onto the bus.

After a ride of about zero minutes, you pull up on the concrete pier outside the ship. You walk up the gangplank and VOILÁ, you are on the beautiful Explorer of the Seas.

Oh, and I quoted the two posts because I agree completely with them. :)

Not really having to do with wheelchairs but when we sailed in October from Bayonne, we did not get a number. We just had to wait in a very short line to get on the shuttle. I guess we arrived at a time when there were not a lot of people. If it were only that quick and easy all the time!

There is in fact a shuttle bus from where you check-in to the ship, it is probably a 4 or 5 minute ride.

Mom is in a power chair and we have sailed from Bayonne 3 times, don't worry, the shuttle is accessible. As another poster said, they use the Rutgers college shuttle buses.

As far as calling RCI about things like this, if you call them back again the next person will probably tell you everyone is give a rocket launcher to launch themselves onboard.

Gotta love the info these people have :p

Thanks again for all the responses. I was pretty sure that there would be a shuttle to get someone in a wheelchair to the ship. But we still have the problem of knowing if we can get our medical equipment on the shuttle. If there's no room for luggage, how will we fit our hoyer lift and shower/commode/wheelchair?????

We were on the Explorer out of Bayonne in January. There is definitely a shuttle after check in. We found it very annoying because you are rushed and must step up a high step to get into the shuttle. It is difficult if you are carrying anything. We felt like cattle being herded! For this reason, we will not leave from Bayonne again. It was not the best way to start a vacation. Frankly, it was a nightmare!

My wife and I agree. This is the worst port for boarding the ship. Will not return. RCI must be getting a big break on expenses from NJ. Not very comfortable accomodations...feels like you are in a big tent outside.

Thanks again for all the responses. I was pretty sure that there would be a shuttle to get someone in a wheelchair to the ship. But we still have the problem of knowing if we can get our medical equipment on the shuttle. If there's no room for luggage, how will we fit our hoyer lift and shower/commode/wheelchair?????

you should be ok ther is space in the front of the shuttle for wheelchair and room for other things. you will have no problem on the ship my wife is in wheelchair and we where on explorer and had no problems even booked two more cruises and planning a third. if you call special needs and tell them you need help you get get it at check in.

dick

you should be ok ther is space in the front of the shuttle for wheelchair and room for other things. you will have no problem on the ship my wife is in wheelchair and we where on explorer and had no problems even booked two more cruises and planning a third. if you call special needs and tell them you need help you get get it at check in.

dick

Thanks red devil,

It was when I spoke with special needs and they didn't have any idea about the shuttle that I got really nervous. I'm glad you were able to tell me you had no problem.

We are not far from you, in Monmouth County.

We have booked an accessible E2 (balcony). Is that what you had? Was your wife able to get out onto the balcony on her own or did she need help?

Thanks again,

Three Rings

My wife and I agree. This is the worst port for boarding the ship. Will not return. RCI must be getting a big break on expenses from NJ. Not very comfortable accomodations...feels like you are in a big tent outside.

I HATED the Bayonne port. It was my family's first cruise (Aug 2006), but we were cruising with friends that are Diamond Plus (think that was it) members - and he said he'd never sail out of there again. Traffic was so bad it took 90 minutes to get from the start of the drive to the drop off point. They have one lane in until you get past the drydock site, then 2 lanes in - it's unbelievable - in a bad way. The actual cruise on Explorer was fantastic.

I have booked another cruise with my significant other, but we're flying into Miami the night before and departing from there. NJ and Baltimore are closer, but I will never again sail from NJ.

oh I hate to hear that...I am doing this port for the first time Feb 2009...and I was hoping it would work, since I can drive to this one in 6 hrs....not have to fly!

Usually do Fla. ports..

Thanks red devil,

It was when I spoke with special needs and they didn't have any idea about the shuttle that I got really nervous. I'm glad you were able to tell me you had no problem.

We are not far from you, in Monmouth County.

We have booked an accessible E2 (balcony). Is that what you had? Was your wife able to get out onto the balcony on her own or did she need help?

Thanks again,

Three Rings

Hi

did not have balcony but from what i heard you will only need a little help.

came from neptune (60years) have a great cruise a hope things work out.

dick

When you guys say "check in" that is check in for the ship. I have not cruised in over 8 years.

SO we get to the terminal, check in and then just take a little bus to the ship, walk on board and were done?

Archived